WaterDawg
Getting Hooked!

Re: Thoughts on this Super Beetle

Post by WaterDawg » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:22 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:46 pm
WaterDawg wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:32 pm
So it sounds like the Convertible could be problematic with what you're telling me.

I spoke to the seller today. The car "belongs to his friend.
They replaced the Distributor as it was worn.
There is a repair patch on the driver side floor pan.
A few cracks in the top, but otherwise in good shape.
Paint isn't original. He believes it has been repainted the original white at least once, but it is time for another reshoot :/
It's never been "restored"

I'm starting to think I should stay away from the convertible if I need something to get me from the East to West Coast this Spring.

By the way, what kind of MPG are these Super Beetles getting?
Why? Your list of concerns are not even relevant to getting across the country. The suggestions offered to you had more to do with you being able to budget your fixes to your eventual sale. Nothing on that list relates to getting across the country.

And what is the deal breaker? 23 mpg (143 gallons) versus 26 mpg (126 gallons)?

I personally would suggest that you stay away from Volkswagens until you feel the burning commitment to cherish one.
Colin
Well, the reason I'm thinking that the convertible would be more problematic is that I'm hearing they leak water if not properly adjusted - I don't have a garage. She has to stay outside so if she's leaking, she's going to get a lot rain inside. The top has some cracks, trying to keep her out in a snow storm might not bode well for the aging top. She's not had any work done to her - meaning she's going to need a fair bit of work done to her - in the middle of winter in NY - with no garage.

I might still go look, but perhaps a hard top would suit me better.

As for committing to a VW. I'm living a rather different life than when we first met. I sold everything I owned and have been living on the water/road/train for over a year now. I have a commitment in NY till April and then I'm headed West for a month or two before hopefully hitting Europe. Can't afford to store anything so when I need something, I buy it - when I'm done with it, I sell it.
Larry Jensen
Follow me at
http://www.WonderofWander.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:51 pm

WaterDawg wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:22 pm
I sold everything I owned and have been living on the water/road/train for over a year now.Can't afford to store anything so when I need something, I buy it - when I'm done with it, I sell it.
I knew I screwed up somewhere . . . I have been living on the road for fifteen years now, and own seven cars splatted across a few states here and there.
(I keep forgetting to sell them)
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

WaterDawg
Getting Hooked!

Post by WaterDawg » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:37 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:51 pm
WaterDawg wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:22 pm
I sold everything I owned and have been living on the water/road/train for over a year now.Can't afford to store anything so when I need something, I buy it - when I'm done with it, I sell it.
I knew I screwed up somewhere . . . I have been living on the road for fifteen years now, and own seven cars splatted across a few states here and there.
Colin
We're all unique - I'm not a collector of stuff. I'm just a collector of adventures and memories. Anything else ties me down.
All my worldly possessions can be - and are - packed into two duffel bags, plus a bicycle that I'll probably swap out for a folding bike once I begin sailing.
Larry Jensen
Follow me at

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:37 am

Buy an older Miata.

WaterDawg
Getting Hooked!

Post by WaterDawg » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:59 am

I passed on the Super Beetle and the Fiat. I'll revisit this idea in the Spring. No need to destroy either car by using them in the winter here.
Larry Jensen
Follow me at

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:23 pm

Amskeptic wrote:

Colin
Didn't realize you had that many .... had to count on my fingers. Guess that's part of the reason why I like my 2.5 car garage...keeps my projects in check. Heck, I've had the bus for 12 years, and it still has a nasty exhaust leak :flower:
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:51 am

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:23 pm
Amskeptic wrote:

Colin
Didn't realize you had that many .... had to count on my fingers. Guess that's part of the reason why I like my 2.5 car garage...keeps my projects in check. Heck, I've had the bus for 12 years, and it still has a nasty exhaust leak :flower:
Acccchk, it is terrible, just terrible.

1. 1962 Lincoln Continental - needs to be driven!
2. 1970 VW Bus - needs to be parked!
3. 1973 VW Squareback - needs to be driven!
4. 1977 VW Westy - needs to be driven!
5. 1978 Mercedes 450 SEL - needs to be driven!
6. 1978 VW Bus - needs to remain parked!
7. 1991 Lexus LS 400 - driveshaft just balanced with a fuel hose clamp again!

Oy,
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles