Build thread of my 1970 Ghia Vert

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Time to refresh the engine and tranny

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:56 pm

asiab3 wrote: Is that a sticker I see on the muffler? If so, I'm guessing that's the paint that came on it. After your first run on the highway, all that paint will peel off and leave you with a pink/green primer showing all over, followed soon by surface rust and structural rust. If you're going the blasting route for the smaller stuff, can you blast the muffler off and hit it with VHT Flame Proof coating? 7$ a can, one primer and one paint, will cover the whole thing. It happened to me last year, and it totally put a damper on my vibe, man.

Robbie
I let Chloe burn off the original paint before I painted the muffler. Took almost two years. Once, on the Road Warrior, I tried to just paint over the original grey/greenish, "well, it looked like primer", but it had lousy adhesion to the metal.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:31 pm

Sounds like after I get my new one bent and shaped to play nice, I should be hitting it with some paint before re-assembly.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:33 am

Ok, you have convinced me to blast and repaint it.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:45 am

I think it took about six months to burn ALL my paint off, but the first run was enough to change the color. The VHT cans or website say to blast to bare metal before VHT primer, so who am I to ask questions? :salute: It's holding up nicely all over the muffler, and the tailpipe will only look like garbage if your Felt-Not-Cork valve cover gaskets decide to dump your oil all over the tailpipe before coming to rest on Interstate 5. :silent:
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:46 pm

We got the soda blaster setup running as it's takes a few mods to make the HF pos work at all. First up was the old carb and it cleaned up pretty nicely. Strips off all the rust, grease, grime and stains including taking it down to the yellow finish without destroying it.
Attachments
carb.jpg
Geoff

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:14 pm

Looks nice. Did you disassemble it to blast it?
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:20 pm

Bleyseng wrote:We got the soda blaster setup running as it's takes a few mods to make the HF pos work at all. First up was the old carb and it cleaned up pretty nicely. Strips off all the rust, grease, grime and stains including taking it down to the yellow finish without destroying it.
Got picture of blaster?
That looks like a good thing to add to the VW restoration toolbox.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:15 pm

No, I didn't disassemble it to blast it as I thought it would keep the stuff out of it better. Now I will take it apart and rebuild it. Its pretty controlled soda blasting and if you blast your bare hand its not like getting hit with sand or glass beads.
Muffler is next to take off that shitty paint.
Geoff

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:55 pm

Is that can an emissions control device that slows the deceleration process?

neal

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:21 pm

Yep, its part of the decel valve stuff so its cool this engine still has it plus it works. No " Pop Pop" when you decelerate.
Geoff

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:12 pm

I've always taken them off. Drives me nuts to not be able to decelerate with the engine. Isn't the "pop - pop" an indication of other issues?

neal

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:50 pm

Pop-pop is a fuel or exhaust issue. (Flooded needle valves can soak the spark plug and allow unburnt gas into that exhaust stream, where it will ignite and make small random pops. Exhaust leak pops are usually louder, and they sound like the Kiddie Racers in their chromed-out bugs cruising down the main drag on Saturday night.) No well-tuned carbureted Volkswagen will pop without the emissions devices.

As you let off the throttle suddenly as if panic stopping, the airflow halts immediately, but the fuel flow due to vacuum is still high. This creates a highly rich condition, which is bad for the environment (unburned fuel = released hydrocarbons, if you care about these things,) and bad for fuel economy, (and you probably care about this.) The throttle positioner grabs the throttle arm as it's about to snap 100% shut, and holds it slightly open to let more air pass through and retain a slightly more stoichiometric mixture of air and fuel. (Bentley spec holds it open around the equivalent of a 1200 RPM idle for 3-6 seconds. Not much!)

Because the positioner systems hold the throttle butterfly open a tad, yes it reduces engine compression braking. BUT there are tradeoffs beyond the air/fuel metering! :study:

In my bus, I like to take my time with the 2-3 upshift. Since the linkage is, I don't know, twelve feet long I can allow my shift to be slow, (allowing the synchronizers to speed up gently,) and kind to all moving parts. By the time I've declutched, meandered on over to 3rd, and am releasing the clutch in 3rd gear, the engine speed is kept higher and matches the input shaft with the output shaft of the transaxle. For this reason, I call this device the "throttle positioner" to those who care about the environment, and I call it the "shift enhancer" to everyone else. :cherry:

For those that REALLY need more reasons to run them, watch a CHT gauge on a flat level stretch of freeway. Cruise, for example, at 360* for a minute, then declutch into neutral and let the engine idle while coasting. BAM temps go up at first, then slowly down. The combustion chamber heat always permeates outward through the head, but now with the cooling fan spinning four times slower, the heat creeps out. Some people call it heat soak, and it's most pronounced after hot shut down. By adjusting my throttle positioner to hold a faster idle for a few more seconds than spec, I'm trading a TINY bit of the fuel saving benefits for a reduced thermal shock to my heads, which I think is worth it.

Six times my allowed soda intake for the night… Somebody get me a Bosch caffeine regulator,
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:16 am

Yes, the Throttle positioner lets in a little air so the Uber Rich fuel mix leans out for a better burn and no decel popping. They are good things!
Geoff

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:35 pm

Sun came out for a bit in the afternoon so I got out the tools to continue cutting out the rusty engine shelf pieces. Such fun as I go slow so I don't damage the good metal underneath. The damn thing is spot welded every which way so it's maddening to free it. I also like to take metal out in one piece so I can use it as a pattern for the other pieces I have to weld back onto the new piece. i.e. the battery hold down etc...
Attachments
IMG_6398.jpg
Geoff

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:38 pm

Finally I was able to pick up my rebuilt tranny!!! :cheers: Mark had to new 2nd and 3rd gears, new synchro's and swap in some unbent shifting forks to get it back to working smooth again.
Now to finish up the metal repairs......
Attachments
IMG_6424.jpg
Geoff