Committed, Gretchen Ghia Body-Off Restoration.

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: Committed, Gretchen Ghia Body-Off Restoration.

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:11 am

Hinge screws are a #3 Phillips. Is it body sag or just worn out hinge pivots? My Ghia just had worn out hinge pivots so replacing all the hinges worked out great to get rid of door slop and alignment issues. Yep, little nails are used everywhere it seems.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:10 pm

Thanks Bleyseng.

And the paper heater tube before I took it out.

It connects to the heating system under the token back seat and runs up over the wheel well and then over to the vent under the rear window in the luggage compartment.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:03 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Thanks Bleyseng.

And the paper heater tube before I took it out.

It connects to the heating system under the token back seat and runs up over the wheel well and then over to the vent under the rear window in the luggage compartment.

neal
I think it is insulation. My guess is that the hose is non-insulated when traversing passenger space (its radiant heat loss serves you) then insulated at the wheel well/body sheet metal traverse, then non-insulated at window area . . . . All other wild speculations welcome.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:00 pm

That seems a bit far-fetched. How much radiant heat will be coming into the passenger area from an essentially air insulation space between the exterior of the car and the interior panels. More likely insulated against the chill of the metal of the wheel well that gets rain, snow, mud, wet from the tires and so on.

So I'm in agreement, insulation, but think my wild speculation is sounder in terms of the logic of the necessity for that insulation.

And, as a proud new owner of a #3 philips head bit, and a 3/8" socket base that fits my impact wrench, I was dismayed at the less than snug fit in the head of the new bit. #4? The tip seemed to fit, but the blades still had some slop. And some initial test impacting brought no immediate joy. More PB Blaster applications seem the answer, as I can get to the back of the screws in the door. Not so sure where the backs of the hinge screws are on the back of the pillar.

neal

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:10 am

I hammer the stuck screws to loosen em first then attempt to unscrew em.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:34 pm

ruckman101 wrote:That seems a bit far-fetched. How much radiant heat will be coming into the passenger area from an essentially air insulation space between the exterior of the car and the interior panels. More likely insulated against the chill of the metal of the wheel well that gets rain, snow, mud, wet from the tires and so on. So I'm in agreement, insulation, but think my wild speculation is sounder in terms of the logic of the necessity for that insulation.
We both just said the same thing.

ruckman101 wrote: And, as a proud new owner of a #3 philips head bit, and a 3/8" socket base that fits my impact wrench, I was dismayed at the less than snug fit in the head of the new bit. #4? The tip seemed to fit, but the blades still had some slop. And some initial test impacting brought no immediate joy. More PB Blaster applications seem the answer, as I can get to the back of the screws in the door. Not so sure where the backs of the hinge screws are on the back of the pillar.
I don't know about no numbers or nothing, but I have a Big Ass Phillips screwdriver that handles hinge screws. It has the visegrips marks as battle scars.
ColinColdAgainInPensacola

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:46 am

One bit at a time. Biggumus screwdriver with a square shank wasn't in the running this go-round, despite my initial lusting for just such a beast. More PB Blaster and another go-round with better outfitted impact wrench. A seven dollar investment.

I'm springing the doors off their hinges and then the hinges off the body.

Armed with a new can of Blaster, the task will be tackled anew. If I have time so maybe after Thanksgiving? At least some between the immediate task of an initial inadequate application of a new stock exhaust to my fresh engine in Bertha Bus needing to be re-assessed. My window of opportunity is next week. Fingers crossed.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:10 am

Jehosebejeebusphat have I been dragging my heels on this project.

I have a late march date for a dip. House of Ghia uses the same facility. And doesn't brace the body with anything.

Over two years. What a slacker I am. My Father in Law busted the nuts and got the doors off. Drilled out some bracing plates that span the top door hinge and the latch plate. He also cut down the tubing to fit snug onto both plates. All I need to do is get brave and explore the world of welding. Best do it before lifting the body off the pan. Wire feed, no gas. And other details.

Anyhoo, back at it. I'll keep you posted. Because before late March, need some bods to do the final lift off the pan and onto a trailer. Party time, because until it's on the trailer, I'll be a wreck and ready for some imbibing.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:53 am

ruckman101 wrote:Jehosebejeebusphat have I been dragging my heels on this project.

I have a late march date for a dip. Party time, I'll be a wreck and ready for some imbibing.
neal
We have others who stretch time out around here, the years really do escape when you get as old as us.
Colin
(I wreckon my late dip in March would have the whole party and my date imploding in giggles)

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:37 am

No more time. Friday I need bodies to lift and place Gretchen's body off the pan onto the support assembly and then trailer for transport into town for the stripping dip to bare metal and make this restoration project committed and real. We have put it off twice, but no more. Delivery Monday, but Saturday I have house guests in town for a funeral, and Sunday am running to the airport to pick up Cheryle. Friday is the day. Don't make my 102 year old father-in-law help me. Ok, so I exaggerate. He's only 84.

neal.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:13 am

Morning-ish or afternoon-ish?

I'll try to roust a few people but Fridays are as tricky for some as Sundays are for me. That whole "work" thing, getting in the way of getting stuff done.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:28 pm

Ach, Nevermind.

Chatted with my brother-in-law, who has the trailer we'll be using, and we have it covered. Back-hoes are wonderful things with tow straps and the like. No heavy lifting required. Thank you so much though, I do appreciate your willingness to help. No wet willies for anyone but me.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:40 am

ruckman101 wrote:Ach, Nevermind.

Chatted with my brother-in-law, who has the trailer we'll be using, and we have it covered. Back-hoes are wonderful things with tow straps and the like. No heavy lifting required. Thank you so much though, I do appreciate your willingness to help. No wet willies for anyone but me.

neal
Good luck. May that Karmann Ghia grace the roadways with that sexy Italian curvature reflecting the trees . . .

It is about the focus! You must be focused to execute the manifestation of your dreams. Focus! Perseverence, too!
What was I saying? Time to take a nap.
Colin

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:13 pm

The deed is done. Terrifying. Monday we take her in for the dip.

The seal between pan and body is goo.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:04 pm

ruckman101 wrote:The deed is done. Terrifying. Monday we take her in for the dip.

neal

Is it back yeettt?
Colin :bounce: