'66 Standard Barn Find

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DjEep
IAC Addict!

'66 Standard Barn Find

Post by DjEep » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:49 am

Picked up my new project today. It's awesome! Got it on the lift and got a good look underneath, nary a pinhole in the pan! PB'd everything on the brakes and fleshed out an estimate on getting rolling. Went through the engine stuff... man those jugs are thin on a 1300-1600cc "upgrade"!

Can't wait to clean it up tomorrow, gonna shine up that un-cut dash and SapphireIII. Anyone know what'll help bring out/protect a nice patina?
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: '66 Standard Barn Find

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:10 am

DjEep wrote:Picked up my new project today. It's awesome! Got it on the lift and got a good look underneath, nary a pinhole in the pan! PB'd everything on the brakes and fleshed out an estimate on getting rolling. Went through the engine stuff... man those jugs are thin on a 1300-1600cc "upgrade"!

Can't wait to clean it up tomorrow, gonna shine up that un-cut dash and SapphireIII. Anyone know what'll help bring out/protect a nice patina?
Photos!

Wax it. Might take some of the patina off the patina, but not to worry.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:22 am

"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:23 am

Anyone know anything about that steering wheel? It has a gold coach in the center, looks pretty vintage.

Edit: According to theSamba, that wheel is an EMPI VDM w/ coach button, worth more than I paid for the bug! Shweeet!

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:58 pm

looks great. to I'd probably do a light high grit wet sand and then polish & wax
60 beetle
78 bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:36 pm

DjEep wrote:Anyone know anything about that steering wheel? It has a gold coach in the center, looks pretty vintage.

Edit: According to theSamba, that wheel is an EMPI VDM w/ coach button, worth more than I paid for the bug! Shweeet!
By all means . . . sell that thing then.
Colin

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:14 pm

zabo wrote: I'd probably do a light high grit wet sand and then polish & wax
Werd. Will do.
Amskeptic wrote:By all means . . . sell that thing then.
Make the check out to "Cash" :colors:

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:25 pm

Lucky bastard with that fancy lift.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:33 pm

Funny thing is, when I'm working on something I really like and want to put extra extra care into, like the gorgeous original seafoam green '62 I was finishing a top-end rebuild on today, I find myself lying on the ground to tighten the exhaust clamps and whatnot. I think its a semi-conscious throwback to my curb-wrench roots.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:21 am

Nice find there bubba ! my only qualms with type 1 is that you cant spontaneously lie on your back and shimmy underneath to take a look at stuff...
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:45 am

If you limbo...but it's tuff with a winter gut.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:42 am

dingo wrote:Nice find there bubba ! my only qualms with type 1 is that you cant spontaneously lie on your back and shimmy underneath to take a look at stuff...
The Ghia has a clutch cable that likes to walk loose. (early style lock-nut-wanting arm, but with a wingnut that slowly spins off) I have lock-nuts on the shelf, but for some reason, I just let it be. Call it an accepted quirk and a sacrifice to the VW gods to shimmy my self under there, face half in the pavement, to adjust it every couple of weeks.

Haven't had a chance to play with the bug this week, too busy with the Ghia.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:48 pm

DjEep wrote:
dingo wrote:Nice find there bubba ! my only qualms with type 1 is that you cant spontaneously lie on your back and shimmy underneath to take a look at stuff...
The Ghia has a clutch cable that likes to walk loose. (early style lock-nut-wanting arm, but with a wingnut that slowly spins off) I have lock-nuts on the shelf, but for some reason, I just let it be. Call it an accepted quirk and a sacrifice to the VW gods to shimmy my self under there, face half in the pavement, to adjust it every couple of weeks.

Haven't had a chance to play with the bug this week, too busy with the Ghia.
Snag a dremel with a good sized stone wheel. Lightly chamfer in a shallow *vertical* slot with a shallow vee profile on the walls. The wingnut will find the slot, wingnut.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:33 pm

Thought of that, but at that point I might as well just put the correct locknut on...