Time to refresh the engine and tranny

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Amskeptic, Sluggo

Post Reply
User avatar
Bleyseng
IAC Addict!
Posts: 2283
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:31 am
Location: Seattle again
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Time to refresh the engine and tranny

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:42 am

Latest post of the previous page:

I picked up a new steering box for this car but in the cold I just can't face the thought of pulling the gas tank again to install it. Gosh, where has summer gone! I need a heated garage/shop so that's on my todo list ASAP.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

User avatar
tommu
Getting Hooked!
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:37 pm
Location: Sunny Burbank
Status: Offline

Re: Time to refresh the engine and tranny

Post by tommu » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:54 pm

I also need to install a new steering box in my wife's Ghia. How did you find a good replacement? I have a TRW repop which has too much play, and an odd tightening just between 11:00 and 12:00. I wonder now if I didn't properly center it when I installed it?

User avatar
Bleyseng
IAC Addict!
Posts: 2283
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:31 am
Location: Seattle again
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Time to refresh the engine and tranny

Post by Bleyseng » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:35 am

That's what I have too but it has to be better than one with over 200K on it.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Posts: 22207
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:47 am
Status: Offline

Re: Time to refresh the engine and tranny

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:35 am

tommu wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:54 pm
I also need to install a new steering box in my wife's Ghia. How did you find a good replacement? I have a TRW repop which has too much play, and an odd tightening just between 11:00 and 12:00. I wonder now if I didn't properly center it when I installed it?

Many of the worm and peg steering boxes get damaged by shoddy adjustment practices where people refuse to realize that it is not the box causing the play in question.

You need to get rid of that tightening post haste. You should have a "mild resistance" across about 10* of rotation at dead center. If you have two adjustable tie rods, you can lengthen the right tie rod and shorten the left tie equally by let's say a quarter turn, and center the resistance point, steering wheel spoke position be damned.

Back off the adjustment screw from "odd tightening" to "mild resistance".
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .110,350 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,775 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . 72,350 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,478 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 64,425 miles

User avatar
tommu
Getting Hooked!
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:37 pm
Location: Sunny Burbank
Status: Offline

Re: Time to refresh the engine and tranny

Post by tommu » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:48 pm

I was underadjusting initially and now I think I am closer to just tight enough. How do I feel the resistance point? I can't feel it through the wheel with the wheels in the air. Do I need to disconnect the column and twiddle the shaft?

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Posts: 22207
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:47 am
Status: Offline

Re: Time to refresh the engine and tranny

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:46 pm

tommu wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:48 pm
I was underadjusting initially and now I think I am closer to just tight enough. How do I feel the resistance point? I can't feel it through the wheel with the wheels in the air. Do I need to disconnect the column and twiddle the shaft?
We're suffering definition creep here.
I read that you had an odd tightening as you rotated the steering wheel. Here you say "just tight enough".
Define what you are talking about.
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .110,350 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,775 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . 72,350 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,478 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 64,425 miles

User avatar
tommu
Getting Hooked!
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:37 pm
Location: Sunny Burbank
Status: Offline

Re: Time to refresh the engine and tranny

Post by tommu » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:42 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:46 pm
tommu wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:48 pm
I was underadjusting initially and now I think I am closer to just tight enough. How do I feel the resistance point? I can't feel it through the wheel with the wheels in the air. Do I need to disconnect the column and twiddle the shaft?
We're suffering definition creep here.
I read that you had an odd tightening as you rotated the steering wheel. Here you say "just tight enough".
Define what you are talking about.
Colin
I very bad description of the symptom from me. It is not tightening. It’s more like play, momentarily the steering looses it’s torque. This is turning left, between 11:30 and 12:00 on the clock - coming back to straight ahead. I have been thinking that I may not have centered the box correctly.

User avatar
Bleyseng
IAC Addict!
Posts: 2283
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:31 am
Location: Seattle again
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Time to refresh the engine and tranny

Post by Bleyseng » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:12 am

1791-3T.jpg
Here is a picture of the oil pump and filter set up I installed. Really nice setup as it tucks up out of the way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Posts: 22207
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:47 am
Status: Offline

Re: Time to refresh the engine and tranny

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:33 pm

tommu wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:42 pm
Amskeptic wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:46 pm
tommu wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:48 pm
I was underadjusting initially and now I think I am closer to just tight enough. How do I feel the resistance point? I can't feel it through the wheel with the wheels in the air. Do I need to disconnect the column and twiddle the shaft?
We're suffering definition creep here.
I read that you had an odd tightening as you rotated the steering wheel. Here you say "just tight enough".
Define what you are talking about.
Colin
I very bad description of the symptom from me. It is not tightening. It’s more like play, momentarily the steering looses it’s torque. This is turning left, between 11:30 and 12:00 on the clock - coming back to straight ahead. I have been thinking that I may not have centered the box correctly.

A) Is it something like a flange clamp not quite secure on the steering shaft, moving from one slip stop to the other?
Check if you think that might be it.

B) Chloe has a dent in the middle of the preload area where someone must have cranked down on the adjustment screw something horrid. So, I have a steering wheel that goes tight then loose at exact middle, then goes tight, then off to the other lock. It's like a little double hump deal. You of course do not try to get rid of the middle dip. You have to pretend that all is wonderful and just make the double bump preload just so.
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .110,350 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,775 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . 72,350 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,478 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 64,425 miles

User avatar
Bleyseng
IAC Addict!
Posts: 2283
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:31 am
Location: Seattle again
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Time to refresh the engine and tranny

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:14 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:33 pm
tommu wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:42 pm
Amskeptic wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:46 pm
tommu wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:48 pm
I was underadjusting initially and now I think I am closer to just tight enough. How do I feel the resistance point? I can't feel it through the wheel with the wheels in the air. Do I need to disconnect the column and twiddle the shaft?
We're suffering definition creep here.
I read that you had an odd tightening as you rotated the steering wheel. Here you say "just tight enough".
Define what you are talking about.
Colin
I very bad description of the symptom from me. It is not tightening. It’s more like play, momentarily the steering looses it’s torque. This is turning left, between 11:30 and 12:00 on the clock - coming back to straight ahead. I have been thinking that I may not have centered the box correctly.

A) Is it something like a flange clamp not quite secure on the steering shaft, moving from one slip stop to the other?
Check if you think that might be it.

B) Chloe has a dent in the middle of the preload area where someone must have cranked down on the adjustment screw something horrid. So, I have a steering wheel that goes tight then loose at exact middle, then goes tight, then off to the other lock. It's like a little double hump deal. You of course do not try to get rid of the middle dip. You have to pretend that all is wonderful and just make the double bump preload just so.
Colin
Thats what is going on with my Ghia, loose then tight when you turn the wheel. There is a good 10 degrees of "play" on either side of centered which bugs the heck out of me driving on the freeway. New steering box is to go in next week along with clutch cable, parking brake cables and rebuilt petal assembly. Also when the gas tank is out I'll finally weld the tab back on that hold the innerwheel house shield that is loose.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Post Reply

Return to “Type 1”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest