Good Visions thread

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Re: Good Visions thread

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:13 am

For me, I know that I am happiest when I am doing something until what I think is important has all been done. When I know that I should be doing something but am procrastinating, I am at my "moodiest". I used to get a bad feeling in my gut when I would have undone homework, especially if it was an overwhelming amount. The only thing that would give me relief was to get to work.
I'm very much like that, too. I can't remember where I heard it but sometime in the last few weeks I heard/read some psychology researcher talking about his findings- his assertion was that one very large component of happiness is never leaving things undone. Not that you complete every project, every day, but that you don't make a habit of immersing yourself in an overwhelming number of unfinished tasks/projects.

For me, that is definitely true.

And Colin- I can tell you're defending something but I am not sure I understand what you're getting at, if you indeed feel the need to defend anything. I find it interesting that feel-happy self-help books, to use your charged terms haha, have in the past made you feel bad for not having gotten it right the first time. I've never really experienced that myself. I mean, I beat myself up for being 38 and being an incessant "seeker" and STILL not having it all sussed out, but I have never found that "happy manuals" make me feel any worse about my slow (but steady!) progress.

And by the way, I think a lot of the "progress" we make as we get older isn't a function of our figuring anything out of our own clever volition, but is more likely due solely to the aging process itself. As your younger years slip away from you, you really have no choice but to let go of much of what you clung to as a youth/young adult.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:56 pm

Velokid1 wrote: A) Colin- I can tell you're defending something but I am not sure I understand what you're getting at,

I find it interesting that feel-happy self-help books have in the past made you feel bad for not having gotten it right the first time.
A) Offending. I am offending the Self Help Industry and Carl Rogers Psychology.

B) Not the books, the books didn't make me feel bad, it was the people who read and proselytized the damn books all over my resentful ass while I thought to myself, "what the fuck do you know about my experience and why do you think you can minimize it and judge it as 'unwanted' or 'unnecessary' or merely the result of not seeing the 'good' side?"

I have never bought into the manipulation of human feeling with either cognitive therapy or beatings. Ever.

Let us honor our despondency this day and enjoy the occasional depressed moods and sheer despair as an intrinsic and necessary part of Existence. They are but times that we disassemble and regather ourselves.
Won't you sit down and shut up and ride out the deep crushing collapse of your fellow journeyer, today?
Col Carnegie
"How To Lose 'Friends' and Stop Trying To Influence People"
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:13 pm

I hate when people tell me to smile.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:08 pm

What I am saying and what you are saying arent mutually exclusive though.

And talk about minimizing or dismissing... You cant stand there saying cognitive therapy doesnt help people when it clearly has. You telling other whether theyre better off or not now?

Rose co glasses = ignoring the bad.

My argument = take stock of and appreciate the good and the bad, because the holistic view reflects reality better than fixating on either the good or the bad.

To me, you and I are saying the same thing. So I am confused why yer shoulder be so chippish on this issue.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:08 pm

The good wouldn't be without the bad. One is the reference point for the other.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:22 am

Very true on the value of the bad. One needs to acknowledge it. It can be a reference point. Sometimes it is what causes us to go for the better. (I think that is exactly what aided in me making the shift) The point I think is correct, and one of the reasons for starting this thread, is that it is much better to focus on the good that one wants, instead of the bad one doesn't want.

Two more quotes.
Whatever the mind of man can conceive, it can achieve. - W. Clement Stone
Our thoughts are the tools with which you carve your life story on the substance of the universe. When you choose your thoughts, you choose results. - Imelda Shanklin

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:44 am

I may have shared this before, but it's relevant to this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:51 am

Cindy wrote:I may have shared this before, but it's relevant to this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk

Cindy
Amazing, especially amazing because Jill and I just go back from having coffee with another couple. The man is from France and the couple has spent time there and in a third world county. In reference to people bumming about the economy here he mentioned how people are happy with less in other parts of the world, and how France has been about 15 years behind us in luxuries. I did bring up how if we steadily saw improvement we'd be happy, like in a third world country without running water. Two factors here, 1) We once had more, we may have gone back 20% instead of forward, and it wasn't because we decided to do less, it was circumstances beyond our control. So yes many are bumming out because of what we have, even though it is more than 50 years ago, but when you get used to such an amount and then it drops, and it drops due to something other than your own doings, it can suck.
I wouldn't normally mention that here and now, but I like I said, I just got back home, and that was what was discussed for about 20 minutes of our 2 hour chat.
Did you tap into big brothers spy network? There were cameras in this coffee shop.
To finish on a good note, as we were leaving it was said that we will create a better world.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:17 pm

Velokid1 wrote: And talk about minimizing or dismissing... You cant stand there saying cognitive therapy doesnt help people when it clearly has. You telling other whether theyre better off or not now?

the holistic view reflects reality better than fixating on either the good or the bad.

To me, you and I are saying the same thing. So I am confused why yer shoulder be so chippish on this issue.
Exactly.
I just said I can't stand this over-emphasis on looking at the bright side to the exclusion, neglect, or avoidance of understanding the many seasons and flavors of human existence.

I did not say the books did bother me, Velo! I said that the people who think they can read a book and turn around and start harassing my ass with sunshiny platitudes piss me off.

Did I stand there and say cognitive therapy hasn't helped people? I don't think I did. I only get chippish when people miss what I said, due either to their thick-headed refusal to grasp my brilliance, or to my thick-headed inability to acknowledge that it is actually in short supply.
:flower:

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:08 am

Teehee! I see your brilliance. :)

I just think the overemphasis is more often on focusing on the ugly than on the pretty. For most of us, forcing ourselves to focus on the good is what balances things out.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:32 am

Velokid1 wrote:Teehee! I see your brilliance. :)

I just think the overemphasis is more often on focusing on the ugly than on the pretty. For most of us, forcing ourselves to focus on the good is what balances things out.

Indeed, people do not realize how east, how little energy and effort it requires to be mean, cruel or just plain evil. You can be all that with little effort. It takes effort be be good to others because it requires thought and a lot of effort.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:12 pm

Sylvester wrote: Indeed, people do not realize how east, how little energy and effort it requires to be mean, cruel or just plain evil. You can be all that with little effort. It takes effort be be good to others because it requires thought and a lot of effort.
Another way some explain the same thing is this.
It is easy for us to allow some reaction or habit/conditioned action, perhaps one fueled by emotions to get us to do something wrong or mean. If someone becomes conscious, or more conscious, or takes a moment to think, he is more likely to act in a better way.

A couple more
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is. - Albert Einstein
As a man thinketh in his heart so is he. - Proverbs 23:7

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:51 pm

steve74baywin wrote:
Sylvester wrote:
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is. - Albert Einstein
As a man thinketh in his heart so is he. - Proverbs 23:7
Miracles can have cranky days. Look at your average two year-old.
I say, I say, enjoy it all.
Colin

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:21 am

Amskeptic wrote: Miracles can have cranky days. Look at your average two year-old.
I say, I say, enjoy it all.
Colin
That actually speaks to the very core of the teachings on this stuff.
Even the cranky days, or when things come up that one would be cranky, could be cranky or should be cranky, if they do as you say "enjoy it all", they would have that good vibrational energy.

At the root of this philosophy is these things.
Everything is energy/vibration (the atom empty stuff)
We are energy/vibration
Like vibrations attract, like a tuning fork will resonate to a certain like frequency from say another tuning fork that is at the same frequency.
It is good to be vibrating good positive energy to attract more.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:57 am

It should be a nice weekend.
Myself and family will get to see my step son who is doing some training in Fl. I haven't seen him in two years since he joined the Navy.

Two more quotes.
The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate. - Oprah Winfrey
Picture in your mind a sense of personal destiny. - Wayne Oates