Republicans walk out

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Re: Republicans walk out

Post by vdubyah73 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:25 pm

there is the fact that an awful lot of republicans were elected to the house this last go round. you guys are splitting hairs, of course there is a silent majority. a lot of them voted for Obama. they don't agree on abortion rights or gun control, but they don't vote for or against a candidate for their stand on one plank of the platform. they vote for the one that most closely mirrors their beliefs. I decide that way, I'm pro choice but i tend to vote republican. I'm anti gun control (except with assault rifles) but i've voted democrat. there are people that decide on just one plank who they will vote for, in my mind it is the overall platform not just one plank, that gets my vote. the silent majority are among the parents attending little league games, going to the movies, etc. they are everywhere, they are unhappy with the time wasted on pushing healthcare through, they are happy Obama finally started talking about renewing manufacturing in America, and wondering what took so long for him to get there.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:15 pm

Im not splitting hairs. In fact I don't see evidence yet that anybody even understands the point I am making. Fine with me though. :)

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:24 pm

vdubyah73 wrote:the silent majority are among the parents attending little league games, going to the movies, etc. they are everywhere, they are unhappy with the time wasted on pushing healthcare through, they are happy Obama finally started talking about renewing manufacturing in America, and wondering what took so long for him to get there.
I still don't get how people who are silent can have opinions so specifically known.

not only are these silent people unhappy about attempts to get healthcare for them, but ARE happy about a renewed talk about American manufacturing - albeit while curious at the length of time it took to get to that point.

what if the silent majority were in favor of communism? or anarchy? how would people know?

it just seems like the silent majority get screwed into having their viewpoints given to them by those who aren't silent and have an agenda to push. personally I think the majority of the silent majority couldn't give two shits what's going on in politics since it turns out to be the same shit all the time anyway. poor people know well enough that no matter who's in office the rich have so much influence over politics that they'll be screwed over again - no matter who's the prick at the podium.
1979 California Transporter

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:01 am

That's the galdanged sad truth there. Believing that most people give a shit about politics and social issues just because we do is a classic case of psychological projection. Most people have no interest at all. I don't blame them. Given the way the cards are stacked against anyone not making $500k per year, the very real possibility exists that mulling over politics is an utter waste of our time.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:56 pm

Velokid1 wrote:...the very real possibility exists that mulling over politics is an utter waste of our time.
Fun, though. Especially recently.

Can't wait to see what Colbert does with his new SuperPAC :bounce:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:10 pm

the silent majority go about their lives instead of ending up on the news chanting their latest slogans, they talk with each other at scholastic sporting events. expressing opinions. they are firefighters and policemen, they are machinists running the cnc machines, they own and operate the bowling alleys, and used car lots. they are sitting in the next pew on sunday morning, they don't want to get involved in political debate about single issues with people 'cause we all know how annoying it can be when someone is sorely intent on changing your opinion. they may disagree on single issues but agree on many others. they are moderates from both sides of center. they are the ones that put a lot of republicans in office during the mid terms, both national and state level. that is who they are.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:59 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Velokid1 wrote:I think my point is valid. Namely that the concept of a silent majority presupposes that there exists a majority of Americans who all agree with one another on all issues. The idea is kind of silly. Whether you're in Portland or Pigeon Forge, good luck finding a Denny's full of people who all agree on five different issues. Heck, you won't find that kind of consensus amongst the congregation of a single church even.
For example, 86% of Americans want to raise the taxes on the wealthy and retire the tax breaks for oil companies.
70% of all Americans want stiffer gun control.
The historical "Silent Majority" is a myth used by some to promote unsupported agendas.
It was a large majority who voted for Obama. So far, that majority (now in the 47-51% range) who currently approves of Obama, has watched his effort crash into a wall of minority opposition whose approval rating is 22%. Go figure.
Colin

Why would anyone vote for a party they don't approve of vdubyah73?

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:37 pm

The only thing this fictional silent majority has in common is that they are silent then. I agree with that, as I already said. But the notion that they are in agreement about anything is wishful thinking.

I mean, while we are at it, I would like to pretend that there is a silent majority who believes that Willie Nelson should be King of the United States. That would be handy for me, so why not?

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:10 pm

Velo,

"The Silent Majority" means NOT that we don't know what they want/feel, so much as they let their votes do the talking. It usually means the people in the middle who are too busy to get out and protest, who don't make waves, but vote their wallets, or consciences, or religion, or whatever moves them.

Push too far one way, they tend to push back; not on the news, but in the polls, at school meetings, everywhere they happen to be. They do it in quiet ways, designed to be effective rather than draw attention.

They're silent because they don't operate according to the twisted rules of media society; consequently, they're ignored. Until they vote.

Mike

sailorkh
Addicted!

Post by sailorkh » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:14 pm

Velokid1 wrote:I mean, while we are at it, I would like to pretend that there is a silent majority who believes that Willie Nelson should be King of the United States.
I'd vote for that!!
Kris
1971 Deluxe "Ole blue"
1978 Westfalia "Gretchen"
1966 Cal40 "Viva"

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:02 pm

Lanval wrote:Velo,

"The Silent Majority" means NOT that we don't know what they want/feel, so much as they let their votes do the talking. It usually means the people in the middle who are too busy to get out and protest, who don't make waves, but vote their wallets, or consciences, or religion, or whatever moves them.

Push too far one way, they tend to push back; not on the news, but in the polls, at school meetings, everywhere they happen to be. They do it in quiet ways, designed to be effective rather than draw attention.

They're silent because they don't operate according to the twisted rules of media society; consequently, they're ignored. Until they vote.

Mike
I will grant that the majority of voters are silent. Absolutely that is true. Most people don't even know how to be heard if they wanted to. But the silent majority isn't used in that way usually. It's usually used as a means of proving to other people that your own political and social views are supported by the majority of Americans. A mob of motivated and astute, yet cordial, people who fly under the radar. There is no such group. There is no such consensus amongst them other than in a two-person election, which isn't usually the point that someone citing the silent majority is trying to prove.

Tryin to type out complete ideas on a cell phone is a losing battle. I apologize in advance.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:07 pm

The truly silent majority are those so disenfranchised they don't even bother to vote.

neal

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:09 pm

Yer right:the silent majority is a bunch of disconnected fatasses, too stupid to think, let alone vote. Down we go.
"If we control guns, then who will control the guns?"
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:24 pm

And I thought I was drunk. Cheez Whiz for the masses. Squirts great onto Ruffles. Health care, I don't need no stinkin' health care.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:26 pm

hambone wrote:Down we go.
"If we control guns, then who will control the guns?"
=D>
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles