Another Sarah Palin Gaffe

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Another Sarah Palin Gaffe

Post by Cindy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:01 am

"Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin visited Paul Revere's house in Boston on Thursday, and afterwards she gave her take on his famous ride.

'He who warned the British that they weren't going to be taking away our arms by ringing those bells and making sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were gonna be secure, and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed,' Palin said.

Palin is on a high-profile bus tour of historic sites on the East Coast as she contemplates a run for president in 2012."
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Re: Another Sarah Palin Gaffe

Post by glasseye » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:11 am

OMG WTF LOL
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:42 am

glasseye wrote:OMG WTF LOL

Exactly!

If you think that's bad, go to her Facebook page and read the comments from her supporters. That was a short visit to hell for me.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:04 am

I will.

You can also go here

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article ... evere_Page

and

http://www.businessinsider.com/sarah-pa ... ide-2011-6

"I know, let's change history to match what she said!"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:06 am

glasseye wrote:
"I know, let's change history to match what she said!"
First Utterance
He who warned, uh, the … the British that they weren’t gonna be takin’ away our arms, uh, by ringin’ those bells and, um, by makin’ sure that as he’s ridin’ his horse through town to send those warnin’ shots and bells that, uh, we were gonna be secure and we were gonna be free … and we were gonna be armed.

Damage Control On Fox News I
He warned the Americans that the British were coming, the British were coming, and they were going to try to take our arms and we got to make sure that we were protecting ourselves and shoring up all of our ammunitions and firearms so that they couldn't take it.

Damage Control Fox news II
But remember that the British had already been there, many soldiers for seven years in that area. And part of Paul Revere's ride -- and it wasn't just one ride -- he was a courier, he was a messenger. Part of his ride was to warn the British that we're already there. That hey, you're not going to succeed. You're not going to take American arms. You are not going to beat our own well-armed persons, individual, private militia that we have. He did warn the British.

That group of Palin supporters attempting to edit Wikipedia to help Sarah, may not realize that while her gaffe was painful, their response is damn close to criminal.
This is the modern United States of America. We seriously need to shape up. If I can sense a response from the loyal opposition, it might go like this:

"You liberals think your so smart. Sarah Palin knows what she is talking about. You just choose to misunderstand her so you can push her down. Paul Revere was warning the British when he was warning the colonists, see? stupids."

But this is not about liberals or conservatives or smart people versus stupid people. It is about all of us defending the history that is the foundation of who we are, it is about not over-reaching past the point of our own incompetence (like Michele Bachman's rewriting of the Founding Fathers' relationship to slavery), and I think it is about us United States citizens recommitting to not embarrassing ourselves, because the above incoherent high school freshman claptrap . . . is.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:34 am

Amskeptic wrote: "You liberals think your so smart. Sarah Palin knows what she is talking about. You just choose to misunderstand her so you can push her down. Paul Revere was warning the British when he was warning the colonists, see? stupids."
:cheers:

You shur your not one a them? Huh?

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:25 am

60 beetle
78 bus

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:27 am

On her Facebook page, one guy said we hadn't become Americans yet so she was technically right because we were still British.

Ay.

Cindy

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:48 pm

She scares the shit out of me. how we have come to the point in society where we welcome the like sof Bush II or Palin to leadership is beyond me. I want someone at the helm that is smarter than me.

sorry for typos. ipad probs....
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:35 am

She is, in a polite way, not very smart. I still remember the Katie Couric interview from 2008. Name one Supreme Court decision and discuss it, heh.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:06 am

Did you guys see this from the Boston Herald? They are claiming that Palin, despite of herself, was technically correct per Revere's own account.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_pol ... l_account/
In fact, Revere’s own account of the ride in a 1798 letter seems to back up Palin’s claim. Revere describes how after his capture by British officers, he warned them “there would be five hundred Americans there in a short time for I had alarmed the Country all the way up.”

Boston University history professor Brendan McConville said, “Basically when Paul Revere was stopped by the British, he did say to them, ‘Look, there is a mobilization going on that you’ll be confronting,’ and the British are aware as they’re marching down the countryside, they hear church bells ringing — she was right about that — and warning shots being fired. That’s accurate.”

Patrick Leehey of the Paul Revere House said Revere was probably bluffing his British captors, but reluctantly conceded that it could be construed as Revere warning the British.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:17 am

BellePlaine wrote:Did you guys see this from the Boston Herald? They are claiming that Palin, despite of herself, was technically correct per Revere's own account.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_pol ... l_account/
In fact, Revere’s own account of the ride in a 1798 letter seems to back up Palin’s claim. Revere describes how after his capture by British officers, he warned them “there would be five hundred Americans there in a short time for I had alarmed the Country all the way up.”

Boston University history professor Brendan McConville said, “Basically when Paul Revere was stopped by the British, he did say to them, ‘Look, there is a mobilization going on that you’ll be confronting,’ and the British are aware as they’re marching down the countryside, they hear church bells ringing — she was right about that — and warning shots being fired. That’s accurate.”

Patrick Leehey of the Paul Revere House said Revere was probably bluffing his British captors, but reluctantly conceded that it could be construed as Revere warning the British.

My problem with her comment is not the issue of historical accuracy, since there's rarely any such thing. My problem is that she sounds like a f!@#&^ idiot and she is a f!@#&^ idiot. She twisted a historical event to suit her second amendment bullshit and play up her one-dimensional patriotism and I hate her. And even if she was "right" it was purely by accident. She wasn't reading Revere's letters and interpreting them. She doesn't even have the brainpower for People magazine.

Cindy

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:24 am

Cindy wrote:
My problem with her comment is not the issue of historical accuracy, since there's rarely any such thing. My problem is that she sounds like a f!@#&^ idiot and she is a f!@#&^ idiot. She twisted a historical event to suit her second amendment bullshit and play up her one-dimensional patriotism and I hate her. And even if she was "right" it was purely by accident. She wasn't reading Revere's letters and interpreting them. She doesn't even have the brainpower for People magazine.

Cindy
I can't disagree with that, Cindy. She has no credibility and would make a terrible president. OTOH, I do like Tina Fey.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:26 am

BellePlaine wrote:
Cindy wrote:

Cindy
I can't disagree with that, Cindy. She has no credibility and would make a terrible president. OTOH, I do like Tina Fey.
Yes, let's elect Tina Fey. I would do that!

Cindy

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:57 am

At least Tina would be funny. SP is simply scary.

This is gonna be an interesting book: A former Palin insider tells all.

http://www.truth-out.org/palin-mad-bad- ... 1306810704