David Brooks It's Not About You (?)

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Re: David Brooks It's Not About You (?)

Post by glasseye » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:40 pm

"The fucking hippies" did let us down. We foresaw great positive change, (heck , we even called it "the revolution") yet it's all gone to shit on our watch. Fortunately for me, I never had the courage to be a hippie. :scratch: I sold out and got a real job. On a freighter that took me to Europe.

In spite of my bad attitude, I continue to encourage all the young people I meet to "follow your dream". In the end, optimism will trump cynicism every time.

Russell, you can't imagine how many times I've blessed my good fortune to have grown up a scant 30 miles north of the 49th parallel. Service in Viet Nam was never a factor in my future. :salute:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:04 pm

The damn (I toned it down because I respect my forefathers) hippies are still out there, young and old, but, like before, not in positions of power. Can those of pure heart wield power? Lookit those Himalaya countries way up high with thousands of years of chanting. Can you imagine a peaceful West? Wow that would be pretty cool. I don't see why it couldn't happen eventually if given enough time to ferment. That's how we got the unicorn after all.
It all comes down to the people. Always has, always will. Power to the people amen.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:24 am

hambone wrote:The damn hippies are still out there, young and old, but, like before, not in positions of power. Can those of pure heart wield power?
Yes they can. Power is *not* all Hitleresque leading the masses off the cliff. The power to reach people's hearts comes from one appealing to another's sense of what is true. This takes time, more time than your average megalomaniac is capable of comprehending.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:48 am

Amskeptic wrote: The power to reach people's hearts comes from one appealing to another's sense of what is true. This takes time, more time than your average megalomaniac is capable of comprehending.
Colin
I agree with the first part whole heartily.

The megalomaniacs though control the media, education system and politicians.
They reach the masses on a large scale, people have to put forth alot of effort to overcome that.

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:09 am

Amskeptic wrote:This takes time, more time than your average megalomaniac is capable of comprehending.
Colin
We don't have time. We are looking down the barrel. The trigger has been pulled. Feedbacks have begun. What's the plan now?

Ham, if it doesn't happen while our kids are still under our wing, it will within our lifetime. Anybody notice any odd "weather" lately? take a google at methane releases and Arctic ice. Then look up Arctic temperature anomomolies.

I'm frantically looking for an exit strategy and coming up short. Really short.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:43 am

Ritter wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:This takes time, more time than your average megalomaniac is capable of comprehending.
Colin
We don't have time. We are looking down the barrel. The trigger has been pulled. Feedbacks have begun. What's the plan now?

Ham, if it doesn't happen while our kids are still under our wing, it will within our lifetime. Anybody notice any odd "weather" lately? take a google at methane releases and Arctic ice. Then look up Arctic temperature anomomolies.

I'm frantically looking for an exit strategy and coming up short. Really short.
The strategy is to be nice and share your cookies. Nature has been editing since forever around here, and there is no reason that we shouldn't be edited if we can't figure out how to survive. Really. The important stuff is simple: Be Human. To Your Last Breath.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles