Obama tells Israel: Go back to 1967 borders. Netanyahu balks

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

drewniverse
I'm New!

Obama tells Israel: Go back to 1967 borders. Netanyahu balks

Post by drewniverse » Thu May 19, 2011 7:22 pm

After the GOP has been bought and sold over and over again hard working Americans still pay for this shit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/20/world ... ml?_r=2&hp
1982 VW Vanagon Westfalia w/ 2.0L and manual transmission
Upgrades : 80watt Sharp solar panel and 2 deep cycle batteries -- 2000/4000w Peak Inverter -- Pioneer DVD/mp3/ipod deck and 10" screen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Obama tells Israel: Go back to 1967 borders. Netanyahu b

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 20, 2011 8:18 am

drewniverse wrote:After the GOP has been bought and sold over and over again hard working Americans still pay for this shit.

Our inability to conduct a national dialogue with any sort of mutual respect will be our undoing. Posturing sucks.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Fri May 20, 2011 11:27 am

drewniverse wrote:After the GOP has been bought and sold over and over again hard working Americans still pay for this shit.

I don't really know what to say, about that long article.
One thing keeps resonating in mind through it all, is this, what on earth is happening?
The US pres who has not done jack for this country, even though his power should be less than they are and he really shouldn't be able to do too much here, except undo the monster gov that has been created in the last 100 years, but he ain't done much here, but he feels he is what? The world leader? World advisor? Meddler of other countries affairs? It's almost like the article is to just get people so they except this sort of thing, where we here in the US should have our hands not only in the personal lives of it's citizens, and in the business' but it should have it's hands in the affairs of the world.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Fri May 20, 2011 12:11 pm

I may be naive, but this speech seems to me to be a significant event and a huge step forward towards solving the Palestinian "problem". That he even suggested the borders revert to the pre-1967 state is quite amazing. Who knew? Obama has balls! Great big ones.

The line in the article that says, in part "...in a region where the strategic interests of the United States have routinely trumped its values." sums up things quite nicely, IMHO. It answers succinctly the question "Why do they* hate us so much?"

hint: It's NOT "our freedoms"

* by "they", I mean all of "the West", not just the US.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Fri May 20, 2011 1:38 pm

This guy, however, disagrees with me.

http://www.truth-out.org/few-surprises- ... 1305911374
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

drewniverse
I'm New!

Post by drewniverse » Fri May 20, 2011 2:17 pm

Amskeptic wrote:

Our inability to conduct a national dialogue with any sort of mutual respect will be our undoing. Posturing sucks.
Colin
Well said.

When I go up to Chico I will be petitioning for a 3rd majority, instead of just repub and dem. I'm not quite sure if I agree with the party's priorities or politics yet (I can't remember what they called it) but I will generally drop a petition if it goes way too far beyond my values.

I don't even like signing republican cards but I'll do it.
1982 VW Vanagon Westfalia w/ 2.0L and manual transmission
Upgrades : 80watt Sharp solar panel and 2 deep cycle batteries -- 2000/4000w Peak Inverter -- Pioneer DVD/mp3/ipod deck and 10" screen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 20, 2011 8:02 pm

glasseye wrote:I may be naive, but this speech seems to me to be a significant event and a huge step forward towards solving the Palestinian "problem". That he even suggested the borders revert to the pre-1967 state is quite amazing. Who knew? Obama has balls! Great big ones.

The line in the article that says, in part "...in a region where the strategic interests of the United States have routinely trumped its values." sums up things quite nicely, IMHO.
Obama has shown flashes of smarts . . . there are some who who say he is playing a Mohammed Ali "rope-a-dope" strategy where he is allowing the opposition to knock themselves senseless while he is executing a nuanced and forward-thinking successful strategy. Israel has desperately needed some rebuke and their furious response to Obama is a welcome sign of being asked to actually think more deeply about their relationship with us.

I'd love to have our values trump our interests occasionally.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri May 20, 2011 9:00 pm

Hear hear. A bold move. Unthinkable. I'm still reeling.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.