Obama Issues Executive Order Institutionalizing Indefinite D

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Obama Issues Executive Order Institutionalizing Indefini

Post by ruckman101 » Wed May 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Suddenly feeling verrrry sleepy, .... but must put cash into envelope, mail to tampa, steve.....

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Wed May 18, 2011 4:55 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Suddenly feeling verrrry sleepy, .... but must put cash into envelope, mail to tampa, steve.....

neal
yes, yes, now it is working....

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Wed May 18, 2011 5:04 pm

I now understand. My tax return check is being endorsed over to Steve.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Wed May 18, 2011 6:51 pm

turk wrote:I now understand. My tax return check is being endorsed over to Steve.

And in 33 days 80% of the members here will be Conspiracy Theory Libertarian Anarchist.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Wed May 18, 2011 7:06 pm

And you'll be "Dear Leader", and there will be perfect harmony in the forums. :roll: Nah.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Wed May 18, 2011 7:11 pm

Well, it was to aid the story of the principle.
Let's see if I got it on disc. Man did they do a close up.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Wed May 18, 2011 8:33 pm

I was only F'n with ya' I hope is understood..

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Wed May 18, 2011 8:38 pm

turk wrote:I was only F'n with ya' I hope is understood..
I think we may have been talking about different things...

Now I'm sleepy, it's past my bed time.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Wed May 18, 2011 8:57 pm

Sorry Steve. I thought we were doing a jokey back and forth about your profession, and you didn't care I was poking a little fun at you. I still don't know if you we're in on it as I assumed. I think you are an exceptionally perceptive person, and I think others here agree..

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Thu May 19, 2011 4:21 am

turk wrote:Sorry Steve. I thought we were doing a jokey back and forth about your profession, and you didn't care I was poking a little fun at you. I still don't know if you we're in on it as I assumed. I think you are an exceptionally perceptive person, and I think others here agree..
Turk, I took it all as humor.
It's all good.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 19, 2011 9:22 am

steve74baywin wrote:
It's all good.
No, it's not. The country is going to hell in a hand basket.
:cherry:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Thu May 19, 2011 12:33 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
steve74baywin wrote:
It's all good.
No, it's not. The country is going to hell in a hand basket.
:cherry:
Now that's a different subject. I will agree with you on that one Colin.
But, change is possible.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Tue May 24, 2011 11:30 am

I have a few question about this that I do not know the answer to.
According to this form of Government we have
Whose authority is it in regards to detainees? pres, Sec of Def, congress etc,

Is this case he issued an executive order. Some say that is not legal, or not what executive orders were for. Is it? I don't know.
If he didn't issue this order to continue, would it have stopped, or was this issue just to make a change to how it is currently done?

Some of these question came from the previous reply below, but we went into other things instead.
steve74baywin wrote:
He did a pro active step to continue.
This would mean he either is now for it or was forced into it.
If he was for it I guess he found out stuff he didn't know. This I do not think is likely.
He was probably forced too.
He did a pro active step to continue, although if he didn't issue that order would it still have continued?
Can the president really stop or give the okay on this? Not only is it probably not in his powers from a constitutional stand point, it probably isn't in his powers period.
So who does have the say on whether we do this or not?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 24, 2011 3:40 pm

steve74baywin wrote:I have a few question about this that I do not know the answer to.
According to this form of Government we have
Whose authority is it in regards to detainees? pres, Sec of Def, congress etc,

Is this case he issued an executive order. Some say that is not legal, or not what executive orders were for. Is it? I don't know.

We have been schizophrenic for a long time in regards to executive power. Part of the schizophrenia is because the tacit acceptance of executive power ebbs and flows with whichever political party is in power. GWB was given wide latitude to detain "enemy combatants" and Obama has seemingly run with it, not because he is is just loving the power trip, but because the Republicans boxed him into a corner. They said "no" to any processing stateside through our legal channels AND they were not going to let him close Gitmo. What the hell is he to do? He can't move these people. Congress adopted an attitude that that these people were just too dangerous to house in this country. Nonsense, if you ask me.

steve74baywin wrote: So who does have the say on whether we do this or not?
Executive decisions regarding military matters resides with the Commander In Chief.
That is why Bush had to dance around with "enemy combatant" so it would fall under his dominion. BUT, military actions must be funded by Congress if it is a "war". So Gitmo was granted military funding. But rules of war and Geneva Conventions demand due process of prisoners! But they were named not prisoners, but "enemy combatants" to avoid all ethical considerations. It is a murky disgusting stain on this country. I am sure that Obama the person would love to get rid of this problem, but I think he is hamstrung.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles