Bin Laden Dead

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

turk
IAC Addict!

Re: Bin Laden Dead

Post by turk » Fri May 06, 2011 11:54 am

@flyaway
Looks like there's already too many loose ends that they are now clamming up and getting their stories straight. So, my little stupid suggestion of keeping a lid on it doesn't look so stupid now. Besides, what is Pakistan and any news service gonna do that wasn't greenlighted by the CIA? Not much than speculate.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri May 06, 2011 3:26 pm

it would have been incredibly stupid to try and cover it up.

first of all, you can't keep a secret that big, let alone when you spend nearly a year planning it.
they even built a replica of the building to train on. there's just way too many people in the loop to keep it a total secret.

then, when the secret is eventually out of the bag, it's much much worse than if they had just came out with it right away.

in a perfect scenario you can come up with lots of potential alternatives, but when working in reality you have to make the best decision you can based in that reality.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri May 06, 2011 4:02 pm

Was it not a secret until Bin Laden was in U.S. hands. So, even if the special 'Copter was left, there was less reason to go public about it hours after, then reason to wait. Because, what did anyone besides the CIA, military, and commander-in-chief, etc., know? : Nothing. So, if those parties sat on the fact Osama was dead, body in custody, the game is pretty much stacked against other political or media concerns. All they could determine was something went down. There were a few casualties. That's it. What happened is Obama tipped the hand. It looks, according to accounts thus far, the political game was bungled a little. Shoulda held silent about it until the narrative was clear at least. No one woulda had shit, except the 'copter, and I assume a few bodies and whoever felt like talking. Now, the ball would be in their court. The U.S. really had nothing to hide to anyone. Of course we were after the world's most wanted. That isn't different in any scenario.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri May 06, 2011 6:15 pm

I was reading in the Washington Post that Obama wanted to give credit to the Paki's but that he was overruled by those that wanted to give our troops the credit for the victory. There is also word that the Paki's that were collaborating with Bin Laden leaked the story in hopes that the back lash would erupt in violence against the US.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri May 06, 2011 6:49 pm

I honestly doubt Obama has a grip on what to do other than making himself look good. That's his M.O.. If he wanted to give credit to the Pakis and they were collaborating with Bin Laden, why did it go down in a hurry otherwise, politically speaking? Obama could have given credit to the Pakis if he wanted to, but how? I doubt it. I don't think they knew what was coming. Bottom line: his instinct was to make the announcement, and go on the victory lap he is now. Problem is the narrative is confused. I think this is out of his league. He doesn't know what he is doing. It will not matter in the election, but that's his plan.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri May 06, 2011 6:56 pm

That's a good point, Turk. I remember GW has similar issues when it came to announcing the killing of Saddam Hussein's sons and finally the capture of Saddam. He wanted to give the credit to the Iraqis but was thwarted by the democrats.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Fri May 06, 2011 7:03 pm

I disagree.

There is really no "victory lap" here and the President made it very clear to anyone who would listen that one was not appropriate. I concur. Nothing to celebrate when anyone dies. No matter whom it is.

There is little to be gained in being an extremist.....no matter what kind you are...the only future we have here is in trying to find workable solutions for problems.
79 VW Bus

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Sat May 07, 2011 8:52 pm

i'd stand behind what you said. may your horse always win the derby.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sun May 08, 2011 4:48 pm

Is it a political tool. Perhaps the policies of Obama in (somewhat passive) support against authoritarian regimes in the Middle East is consistent with de-leveraging the myth of Bin Laden's gihad against the West. Could be a great strategem overall. In my opinion the execution of Bin Laden is a symbol. I am not sure of what the effect is yet. Killing Bin Laden is a small piece of the puzzle. What fills the vacuum of Bin Laden's myth is yet to be seen.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:16 pm

why on earth did they announce that he was captured with phone numbers and a lump of cash in his pocket, presumably for running??? the whitehouse was so hepped up on this that they didn't have plans for what to do after the fact. they planned this for the better part of a year and made many mistakes after the mission was accomplished. the decision about the photos is another example, that decision should have been made during the planning, not played out in the media for days.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue May 10, 2011 1:26 pm

vdubyah73 wrote:why on earth did they announce that he was captured with phone numbers and a lump of cash in his pocket, presumably for running??? the whitehouse was so hepped up on this that they didn't have plans for what to do after the fact. they planned this for the better part of a year and made many mistakes after the mission was accomplished. the decision about the photos is another example, that decision should have been made during the planning, not played out in the media for days.
I agree. I was watching a National Geographic special on the hunt for Bin Laden, and the operatives said GW's standing order was that after they captured him, to kill him and cut his head off, put it in a cooler on ice, so that we could bring it back to the US! Now that is a plan!!!

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Tue May 10, 2011 1:34 pm

chitwnvw wrote:
vdubyah73 wrote:why on earth did they announce that he was captured with phone numbers and a lump of cash in his pocket, presumably for running??? the whitehouse was so hepped up on this that they didn't have plans for what to do after the fact. they planned this for the better part of a year and made many mistakes after the mission was accomplished. the decision about the photos is another example, that decision should have been made during the planning, not played out in the media for days.
I agree. I was watching a National Geographic special on the hunt for Bin Laden, and the operatives said GW's standing order was that after they captured him, to kill him and cut his head off, put it in a cooler on ice, so that we could bring it back to the US! Now that is a plan!!!
Makes me think of this.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way.
If I sit back for a minute and think about it, There is no way on hell or earth that they did not put thought into this, at very least for general PR and re election purposes. You know they would have had to put some thought into it. Another one of those things that don't make sense.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue May 10, 2011 2:38 pm

it's a conspiracy.

anyone get any video from the book depository?

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Tue May 10, 2011 6:42 pm

We have truly become a cynical people.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue May 10, 2011 6:53 pm

RussellK wrote:We have truly become a cynical people.
And we are taking this seriously?