Trolley Cam 1909 San Fran

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Trolley Cam 1909 San Fran

Post by steve74baywin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:33 pm

A video camera on the dash of a San Francisco trolley car in 1909.
Pretty neat to see what things where like back them.
The vid was pointed out to me as an example of spontaneous order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CaeV88S0Pg

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Trolley Can 1909 San Fran

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:40 pm

I love that vid. It reminds me of traffic in Mexico when I vacationed there a few years ago.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

turk
IAC Addict!

Re: Trolley Cam 1909 San Fran

Post by turk » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:19 pm

I've seen it before. Here on this site I think. IIRC it's a rare piece of documentary. Interesting that you were told about it being an example of "spontaneous order". What is the implication? Not having reviewed it again yet, my immediate interpretation, of said interpretation, is: automation in a dense urban setting "orders" all the people about in a remarkably orchestrated looking way. Kinda reminds me of a remark I once heard that, for instance, Chicago is a "masterpiece" by my Italian teacher; meaning the system of streets, traffic signals, and infrastructure operating in coherent fashion as a whole, for the collective benefit of a somewhat random conglomerate of people is a work of marvelous engineering.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:36 pm

I like seeing all the people busy with life, and think how most of if not all of them have since past away.
turk wrote: Interesting that you were told about it being an example of "spontaneous order". What is the implication?
It is observed that naturally or in nature there is order.
I first heard that term in an example John Stossel did.
He showed people skating around a frozen pond and each person avoiding harm because it is in there own best interest.
Some people go fast, some slow.
The trolley vid someone noted the same, without tons of laws and rules implemented on that road people naturally avoided harming each other. Spontaneous order.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:13 pm

Very interesting. I will watch that again. I don't want to get all negative but it seems to me laws and ethics have a hard time keeping up with cultural phenomena. When culture changes pretty quickly chaos happens on the heels of the "change".
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:34 am

I was thinking or expecting some comments by people who know that street and area today. I have never been to that state.
What is that tall building the camera is facing and the trolley is heading to the whole time? Is it still there?

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:36 pm

steve74baywin wrote:I was thinking or expecting some comments by people who know that street and area today. I have never been to that state.
What is that tall building the camera is facing and the trolley is heading to the whole time? Is it still there?
It still is. That's the Ferry Building, which used to be the terminus of the San Francisco Bay ferries connecting SF and Oakland.

For a "drive" down that road today, use Google Maps to go to the corner of Market Street and First Street (give or take a few blocks).

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rl ... 7116279097

Drag the little yellow man to Market Street, point yourself roughly northeast, and you can tool down Market Street and see how things have changed in a century.

If I had more time, I'd "drive" in parallel screens and see how street addresses match up with the time elapsed on the YouTube video. I'm sure that you'd see at least one building on Market Street that's still there, but finding it will take more time than I'd care to spend.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:19 pm

steve74baywin wrote:A video camera on the dash of a San Francisco trolley car in 1909.
Pretty neat to see what things where like back them.
The vid was pointed out to me as an example of spontaneous order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CaeV88S0Pg
I am compelled to point out there were no video cameras in 1909. That would have to be a film camera. Those trolleys sure ran smooth.

A petty point, for sure, but one that has been gnawing at me since I read it. It happens all the time. Folks tell me they are going to go "film" an event with a video camera, and edit together a piece to "broadcast" on our cable channels. That would be cable-cast.

neal

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:16 am

JLT wrote:
It still is. That's the Ferry Building, which used to be the terminus of the San Francisco Bay ferries connecting SF and Oakland.
I was thinking it was for some form of shipping. I see palm like trees in the google picture.
I am not like most people, I dislike the current way they make things look. I prefer the 1909 look.
ruckman101 wrote: I am compelled to point out there were no video cameras in 1909. That would have to be a film camera. Those trolleys sure ran smooth.

A petty point, for sure, but one that has been gnawing at me since I read it. It happens all the time. Folks tell me they are going to go "film" an event with a video camera, and edit together a piece to "broadcast" on our cable channels. That would be cable-cast.

neal
Yep, good example of words. I thought the same, especially the "dash Cam" phrase.
But for ease of typing I did what I did.
I can see where saying filming an event is not correct when you have a camera with no film, but can't something on film still be called video? Especially if it is now being viewed on the computer.

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:45 am

steve74baywin wrote: I can see where saying filming an event is not correct when you have a camera with no film, but can't something on film still be called video? Especially if it is now being viewed on the computer.
Precisely. As I learned from the A/V classes I took in college, "video" is a general term for the visual component of any sort of motion picture, to distinguish it from the "audio" portion. This is regardless of the medium ... film, videotape, digital, or whatever else might come along. So the use of the word is appropriate in the original post. Actually, the 1906 film was pure video, with no audio component at all.

And, of course, what we're viewing is a "YouTube video," with the original film transferred to a digital medium, so even if you were defining the term "video" in the YouTube sense, it would still apply to the YouTube presentation if not the original 1906 film.

Can you "film" something with a digital video camera? Can you "dial" a number on a push-button phone? Can a writer "pen" a masterpiece on a computer keyboard? In these and other examples, the English language still has some catching up to do.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:52 am

I admitted it was a petty point. Generally I let those little sticking points slide, but occasionally my past as a proof-reader catches up with me and I get AR.

neal