Rahm Emmanuel's new proposal for Chicago Public Schools

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

turk
IAC Addict!

Re: Rahm Emmanuel's new proposal for Chicago Public Schools

Post by turk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:30 pm

I'm not blaming anyone. What happens there is not my business. I don't know what's happening there. I worked in Gary, Indiana today. Now there's a very poor community, but the people are sweet. I took lots of pictures. I can post some. I actually like the area for its incredible 20th century history and the massive industrial landscape, that now looks somewhat like the moon on a hangover. Weirdly beautiful though, with huge tracts of natural prairie and dunes amidst urban decay, and surprising copious natural beauty too. I would like to move there. Maybe buy a house. I'll spend some more time there soon. But as far as Benton Harbor, I don't know enough to really have an opinion on the EFM and breaking contracts. Gary is probably 20 times the size of Benton Harbor.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:24 pm

Curious, because it's the underlying principal of government overreach that is my concern. When it happens to your town it will be your business, but too late.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:19 pm

And you may be right. I don't know. From what I read, there are many who agree with you. There is also the basic problem of a town that's in bad shape. Honestly, I don't know what the solution is. There's ten thousand living there according to what I read. I never spent time there. All around there it is pretty diverse I think. It needs an economic intervention I think, or it will continue to get worse. Detroit is a huge city on the skids. Urban truck farming where neighborhoods flourished in the sixties was suggested as a solution. I've never spent time there either -- too bad, I'd like to. There are solutions to all problems. Let's continue to discuss.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:19 am

When the solution strips democracy from the people, I have a problem with that.

Think about it. Average, average mind you, with poverty offsetting those incomes above the average to average out to $10k a year. That's a slim survival. What are you going to do, for like recreation, can't afford to drive that extra hour for a true wilderness camping experience, especially when you own no camping gear, or kayaks, or cars. You go to the park and barbecue, picnic, toss a frisbee, wonderful waterfront park, the closest your sorry broke ass is going to get you to nature, but now will become upscale housing and a golf course for those upscale denizens. There goes the neighborhood, the whites are moving in, they'll bring their next of kin.

My apologies to the Busboys.

neal

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Mon May 02, 2011 6:31 am

I have no idea what any of that is getting at except something vaguely racist it seemed.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Mon May 02, 2011 7:08 am

Yeah Neal. Whats up with that? Hadn't you heard lamenting gentrification is racist? Sheesh.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Mon May 02, 2011 8:35 am

ztsss. is that what it's about? "Lamenting gentrification". Whoever knew?

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:45 am

The racist is always the last to know.

Racism is a ruse to divide. It's a class struggle.

My apologies to The Busboys.

"Too many faces that are not just like mine.
I see them moving in two at a time,
And, oh-oh-oh; it doesn’t look too good to me!
Give them an inch and they will take a mile.
I only want to see them once in a while.
There goes the neighborhood!
The whites are moving in – they’ll bring their next-of-kin. Oh boy!
Boy! Boy! Bo-o-o-oy!
I ain’t movin’ out for no “Carol and Bob”!
The inner city is too close to my job.
I don’t no want fight – no family feudin’!
But ‘round here, **** will make your mouth grin.
Boy! Boy! Bo-o-o-oy!

Boy! Boy! Bo-o-o-oy!"

And that would be there your gentrification, taxed, priced out of family owned houses and kicked to the crap multiplex apartments in the 'burbs.

neal