at what % of posts does this stop being an aircooled forum?

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

at what % of posts does this stop being an aircooled forum?

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:13 am

My usual routine in the morning is to click the 'view new posts' link here on the site and read through some of the new content.

When free speech threads start making up 85-90% of all new posts on a regular basis, does the site stop becoming useful for aircooled content given the low % of posts that aircooled topics make up?

It's sort of a double edged sword the way I see it. The reason I like this place better than most of the VW related forums ive been a member of over the years is the sense of community. You tend to learn more about folks here than you do in other forums and it really seems to tie the group together moreso than in other places. It probably helps that many of ya'll live close to other little clusters of members and have more opportunities to mingle in real life, but certainly the community presence of the forums helps maintain that to a degree.

Just curious if anyone else thought about the balance needed to maintain this places massive/massive reserves of priceless content, hidden in well written/photographed/documented threads throughout the forum? Some posts having never even seen a single reply where there is clearly incredible content someone somewhere is missing out on.

Part of me likes that to, like it's the secret for those who find it to keep to themselves.... Thought I suck at keeping secrets. (you here what so and so said? O M G!)

In the end I would have to say that it really doesn't matter, because regardless of how disproportionate the aircooled to political posts there may be, certainly people learn so much from the aircooled content that the free speech stuff is just something to pass the time with until new relevant content appears again.

turk
IAC Addict!

Re: at what % of posts does this stop being an aircooled for

Post by turk » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:15 am

Why should it matter? You said that yourself. Does a smoking lounge or a pub in the same building as a factory or school put a limit on what people can talk about? Instead of NO SMOKING or NO DRINKING signs (appropriate in the other designated parts of the building), they would limit the topics of discussion allowed in the pub or smoking lounge, with REMEMBER TO KEEP TALKING ONLY ABOUT WORK OR SCHOOL RELATED TOPICS.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:04 am

I'd promise to stay on work related subjects if my workplace had a pub.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:58 pm

Probably a lot more air-cooled content as the weather warms up. My bus has been asleep since early November.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:05 pm

Does hot air count?

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:08 pm

RussellK wrote:Does hot air count?

Let's not turn this into another climate change thread. :pirate:
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:29 pm

Ryno wrote:
RussellK wrote:Does hot air count?

Let's not turn this into another climate change thread. :pirate:
whoops. sorry.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:52 pm

Actually, I was trying to get Colin to turn this into a VW forum, since he's done so much work on my WC vanagon.

As for the free speech, it seems to go hand-in-hand with Colin himself. I consider the free speech area an extension of Colin in the sense that he's constantly asking, asking, challenging, challenging, thinking, thinking. My only complaint is ever the level of discussion. Colin's a sharp cookie, so talking with him takes thought, effort, insight.

Some of the posters don't bother with those ~ that's irritating to me.

Still, as Dashiel Hammett once said, "to a tough steak comes a sharp knife."

Best,

L

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:50 pm

Airkooledchris,

Sometimes the forum may look like a single channel debatefest, but I guarantee you that I spend more time trying to plow through the technical questions and even trying to finish up these photo/procedures in the Technical Forums. I have been remiss in posting new procedures like the spring plate adjustment.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:59 pm

I think it is very healthy, shows that folks here are thinking more about the human condition/events than an object that happens to be common ground.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"