Power Plant Melt Down Obama's Fault?

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: Power Plant Melt Down Obama's Fault?

Post by hambone » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:53 pm

And the waste lasts hundreds of thousands of years. That's a lot of responsibility for a species with a tenuous hold on existence. There is a reason we're not driving atomic cars like envisioned in the duck-n-cover daze. Until a way is designed to delete the waste then it is only a canker on Earth for future beings to deal with.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

flyawaydesigns
Getting Hooked!

Post by flyawaydesigns » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:16 pm

Too late now anyway. The reactors have blown their lids. The depleted rods in storage have no water to cool them and they have caused fires due to the heat.....no matter whose fault it (or was) no one can save them now. Meltdown is imminent. As of tonight, the 50 workers left in to manage the mess have been told to leave the facility due to overexposure to radiation. No one will be replacing them.

Everyone......stand back a bit.....we're not sure how big this will get.

From my engineering point of view, the single problem that caused this was the fact that they had both sets of generators (the primary and secondary) on ground below the level of the plant. The plants withstood the earthquake just fine. The tidal wave washed out the generators and switch gear that were critical for cooling the reactors and the storage pool. The real blame lays with the person who did the site layout and placed the generators in a very vulnerable spot. Had they been elevated on a secure, tsunami proof structure, they would have never lost control of the water supply.

Just my 2 cents
C and R
Handmade VW Bus Rear Tents
www.flyawaydesignsonline.com or flyawaydesigns@yahoo.com

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:39 am

What about the one generator that couldn't be started due to empty fuel tanks!
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

flyawaydesigns
Getting Hooked!

Post by flyawaydesigns » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:07 am

Didn't hear or read anything about one reactor's generator set having an empty fuel tank.......sounds like someone musta forgot to read the gauge......

And late last night, they announced that 50 workers did return to the plants after the radiation levels temporarily dropped. No mention in that article whether they were the same 50 that left though.....
C and R

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:17 am

No, they are rotated. How about the fact FOUR generators are all in the same place? That seems kinda crazy to me. Look at the chaos of dealing with them all in the same location as one or the other blows off the roof of its building. Also, why were they even placed on the east coast rather than the west coast, assuming the fault lines are on the east side and the bigger sea (for tsunami) as well. I still think it's likely they will contain most of the radiation and the crisis will pass. Then the whole plant and design flwas have to be investigated.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

flyawaydesigns
Getting Hooked!

Post by flyawaydesigns » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:36 am

I agree that it was insane to have so many reactors at one site. In most any disaster scenario it would be difficult to manage many facilities one one site all at once. It's a "too many eggs in one basket" sorta thing and consequently the difficulty factor increases.

As for siting the plants on the east coast, my guess it was because of the prevailing wind direction being offshore (west to east).

We pay attention to that when designing toxic gas systems for the semiconductor industry here. We have data on the prevailing wind direction and make sure the gas pads are in a location where the winds blow the "gas cloud" away from the plant....
C and R

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:01 am

airkooledchris wrote:
sped372 wrote:There's something inherently scary to me in a technology with a failure mode that is runaway catastrophe. Most things slow down or end themselves when they break, not speed up to an uncontrollable state.

since the plant itself survived an earthquake well past what it was designed for, im sure all future plants and upgrades to existing plants in tsunami prone area's will mandate a solution to this problem.

there's no reason to completely abandon the technology now, so long as we learn from our mistakes along the way.
SOLUTION to the problem??? There is NO solution to the human STUPIDITY of building nuclear reactors in the first place. There is no way to prevent eventual failure.... whether soon by natural/manmade disaster, or later by corrosion of spent-fuel storage containers.

We are completely arrogant to think we can engineer a solution to this dangerous technology which should not have been created in the first place.

How could someone possibly compare the effects of destruction of a solar electric facility to the destruction of a nuclear plant? Broken solar panels are not going to spread radiation around the globe... ridiculous comment.

No nukes, no nukes, NO NUKES.
71 bus, 74 westy

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:24 am

:roll: Nukes are the future.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:49 am

turk wrote::roll: Nukes are the future.

children are our future. bright green luminescent children.
on the plus side, nobody needs a flashlight.
on the down side, life expectancy is going to be in the 30's again, though living past your 20's will be brutally painful.

back to being serious for now, humans ARE energy. get on your bicycle and start peddling if you want to watch TV tonight.
the technology exists for those who aren't lazy*

*im lazy
1979 California Transporter

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:13 am

We shoulda never invented 99 % of anything. Hell, we shoulda never been born. Damn. Wish we could just cease existing. LOL

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:20 am

turk wrote:we shoulda never been born. Damn. Wish we could just cease existing. LOL
the clock is ticking for everyone, the only variable is how much time is left for you.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:24 am

Let's not make this a "tit-for-tat bickering" contest now, lest everyone starts taking off their shirts and protesting. Okay, we're all gonna die.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:46 am

Good idea, don't start doing that.

From what ive seen in Bahrain, taking off your shirt still doesn't guarantee you won't get shot.

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:48 pm

man, has this website taken a dive.
71 bus, 74 westy