Power Plant Melt Down Obama's Fault?

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Power Plant Melt Down Obama's Fault?

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:06 pm

glasseye wrote:By all means, whatever we do, let's turn an apocalyptic tragedy into a political football. :cheers:
I am disgusted by the trite bickering. How many people will be left on this forum if I drop the hammer? I am ready.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:41 pm

Amskeptic wrote:How many people will be left on this forum if I drop the hammer? I am ready.
and how many more would be willing to participate afterward?

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:59 pm

airkooledchris wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:How many people will be left on this forum if I drop the hammer? I am ready.
=D>
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:27 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
glasseye wrote:By all means, whatever we do, let's turn an apocalyptic tragedy into a political football. :cheers:
I am disgusted by the trite bickering. How many people will be left on this forum if I drop the hammer? I am ready.
Colin
It took you this long?
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:51 pm

knee capping doesn't seem to benefit.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:47 pm

Westy78 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Colin
It took you this long?
Are you an Adult? Got time? Got inclination? Got commitment? Got talent? Passion? Discipline?
PM for your Free Speech Moderator Starter Packet today!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:56 pm

airkooledchris wrote:
Let this conundrum mull in your mind as if you were administrator...

Would you let the science museum exhibit be overrun by two rowdy teenagers because they improve the visitor count? Is the quantity as important as the quality? Would others, who find these three word stuck-in-a-rut tit-for-tat exchanges tedious, then desert the place after the teenagers were removed or would they perhaps fill in to participate themselves?

What is this place? Let us all define it anew right now, before I do.
Colin

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:47 pm

I find myself steering clear of most of the discussions because I'm sure they'll just swirl down the proverbial drain.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:48 pm

Does nuclear power really have a place? Is it really safe? Is it a good idea to build something so dangerous on the back of a sleeping dinosaur?
No, I imply of course. It's dumb dumb dumb monkeys playing with dynamite.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:11 pm

Let's suppose it was a solar plant on the coast there. The tsunami comes and sweeps tons of toxic chemicals in all those panels and batteries into the sea poisoning the ecosystem. What is safe? That's a 40 year old nuclear plant. There's risks in all energy, and all human activity, period.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:13 pm

There's something inherently scary to me in a technology with a failure mode that is runaway catastrophe. Most things slow down or end themselves when they break, not speed up to an uncontrollable state.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Let this conundrum mull in your mind as if you were administrator...

Would you let the science museum exhibit be overrun by two rowdy teenagers because they improve the visitor count?
NO
Amskeptic wrote:Is the quantity as important as the quality?

NO
Amskeptic wrote:Would others, who find these three word stuck-in-a-rut tit-for-tat exchanges tedious, then desert the place after the teenagers were removed or would they perhaps fill in to participate themselves?
Is either of these a negative outcome? Ideally more would participate, but it's anyone's guess as to what the reality would be.
1979 California Transporter

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:42 pm

sped372 wrote:There's something inherently scary to me in a technology with a failure mode that is runaway catastrophe. Most things slow down or end themselves when they break, not speed up to an uncontrollable state.

since the plant itself survived an earthquake well past what it was designed for, im sure all future plants and upgrades to existing plants in tsunami prone area's will mandate a solution to this problem.

there's no reason to completely abandon the technology now, so long as we learn from our mistakes along the way.
1979 California Transporter

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:59 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Westy78 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Colin
It took you this long?
Are you an Adult? Got time? Got inclination? Got commitment? Got talent? Passion? Discipline?
PM for your Free Speech Moderator Starter Packet today!
Ha! Thanks but no thanks. I wouldn't be nearly as democratic or patient with the time out stick as you have been.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:58 pm

airkooledchris wrote:
sped372 wrote:There's something inherently scary to me in a technology with a failure mode that is runaway catastrophe. Most things slow down or end themselves when they break, not speed up to an uncontrollable state.

since the plant itself survived an earthquake well past what it was designed for, im sure all future plants and upgrades to existing plants in tsunami prone area's will mandate a solution to this problem.

there's no reason to completely abandon the technology now, so long as we learn from our mistakes along the way.
The grunts on the ground are heroes, risking their lives and health in a totally devastated scene in chaos, trying to prevent more catastrophe. I must give admiration to all the people in Japan for handling this so civilly thus far. I did read somewhere they (Japan's government) initially turned down the Whitehouse offer to fly in generators. I dunno if that's true, but good on the Whitehouse for that initiative early on. This will be a learning experience no doubt.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero