Wisconsin Protests

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Wisconsin Protests

Post by Xelmon » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:07 pm

http://www.presstv.ir/usdetail/168712.html

If this doesn't show that I live under a rock, I don't know what does.

What do you guys think?

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Wisconsin Protests

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:10 pm

You might want to wear your shades. It's bright out here.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9281

Neal
The slipper has no teeth.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:10 pm

it's worth talking about elsewhere, if you want to discuss the actual issues and not get sucked into some crap about secret agenda's and global warming.

i swear we should rename the 'free speech' forum 'the X files' from here on out.

I don't honestly care what Walker's rational is for pulling this, he's trying to remove collective bargaining rights under the guise of something else.
Not once have I heard him give a reasonable answer as to why he doesn't want to balance the budget without stripping their rights at the same time.

If you want that to change, great, sell it on it's own merit, don't try and pull it off while selling it as something else.

Ive never been so proud of my friends and family back in Wisconsin as I have been during this process. Not a single person ive known, friends or family, has sided with Walker on this issue. Even the right wing hicks in the sticks ive known since birth agree this is outright douchebaggery.

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:35 pm

Ya know, that's what I noticed in the few minutes (read, 1 hour when I should have been prepping for my final) when I took to a closer look at this.

What impresses me is that even as he is essentially throwing fire at the crowd, the crowd isn't budging...

So far in the issue there has been one thing that is definitely a shade of gray from what I've read...
It seriously makes me curious what happened to all of the firing letters that Walker supposedly sent out. Did they go out? Are people actually losing their jobs?
I am seriously trying to see what basis he has to really do that...
"People are unproductive, not at their jobs, ergo useless workers." would probably be the answer. Well, they aren't there because [Walker] pulled some shit that seriously pissed people off.

At the same time, does he really have the right to be able to do that? Just up and up act like essentially what I would think of as a king, declare his lackeys good children, and everyone else can simply suck dirt? For a company, yeah, I could see that... Douche move, the CEO can pull it though.

This is a state's government though...

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:00 pm

Republican's idea of non-intrusive government. You should hear what's going on in Michigan.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:02 pm

Well, it got passed, they stripped the big financial part and just sledgehammered it through the court with little to no political opposition.

The WI people got fucked... They really did. =\

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:04 am

A unionized public employee, a member of the Tea Party and a CEO are sitting at a table. In the middle of the table is a plate with a dozen cookies on it. The CEO reaches across and takes 11 cookies, looks at the Tea Partier and says, "Watch out for that union guy -- he wants a piece of your cookie."
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:52 am

last night Glenn Beck went on a rant about how everything that is wrong with America can be summed up by what is happening with the violent protesters in Madison, comparing them to the calm and organized Japanese people waiting in lines for gasoline, water and food (and their lack of looting.)

it's such a trip to see this guy speak, because about a third of what he says is VERY accurate - but then out of nowhere he'll go off and compare it to some media agenda or left wing agenda, or the agenda of the New York Times.

part of it was actually pretty hilarious, because he's just going OFF on the media outlets for making a big deal about the Nuclear reactors when they should be paying attention to SO many other things, and what their secret agenda's are for paying attention to it - when Fox News cuts into HIS program after a break with a 'BREAKING NEWS' bulletin about the nuclear reactor story he JUST finished bashing everyone else for covering.
1979 California Transporter

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:56 am

airkooledchris wrote:last night Glenn Beck went on a rant about how everything that is wrong with America can be summed up by what is happening with the violent protesters in Madison, comparing them to the calm and organized Japanese people waiting in lines for gasoline, water and food (and their lack of looting.)

it's such a trip to see this guy speak, because about a third of what he says is VERY accurate - but then out of nowhere he'll go off and compare it to some media agenda or left wing agenda, or the agenda of the New York Times.

part of it was actually pretty hilarious, because he's just going OFF on the media outlets for making a big deal about the Nuclear reactors when they should be paying attention to SO many other things, and what their secret agenda's are for paying attention to it - when Fox News cuts into HIS program after a break with a 'BREAKING NEWS' bulletin about the nuclear reactor story he JUST finished bashing everyone else for covering.
I believe Glenn Beck may just be a big-hearted, tree hugging, environmental Liberal under it all. Like a antique seller who is in it because they do not like antiques at all, you just can't sell what you love. Heck, he may even like John F. Kennedy and his definition of a Liberal, as "someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions. Someone who cares about the welfare of the people".

Isn't it all entertainment after all?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:42 pm

Sylvester wrote:
Isn't it all entertainment after all?
Sure, the road to hell is paved with entertainment.
But when an unformed ignorant jackass like that has a pulpit, we need to consider his responsibilities to those he is reaching. We need to consider our individual responsibility to call out against that blather.

Shall you and I watch that clown while we much on Doritos "huh huh, what a ass!" and not consider how desperately we actually need to arrive a shared consensus to solve some pressing problems facing this country? Japan is definitely showing us a thing or two about community fabric. We would be hopelessly mowed down if such a calamnity befell us.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:55 pm

Well, a judge temporarily blocked the law from taking effect - for now.

In better news, the recall effort is going strong and they will easily have more than enough signatures when the time comes.

The sad news for everyone else, was todays headline "Scott Walker Emerging Rising Star In Republican Eyes: Poll" - big surprise there eh?
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:42 pm

airkooledchris wrote:Well, a judge temporarily blocked the law from taking effect - for now.

In better news, the recall effort is going strong and they will easily have more than enough signatures when the time comes.

The sad news for everyone else, was todays headline "Scott Walker Emerging Rising Star In Republican Eyes: Poll" - big surprise there eh?

There is going to be a critical mass triggered at some point, I can feel it coming. Republicans have the worst popular support of any major party, the President has ratings easily double theirs, yet the news delivers this constant drumbeat about how the Republicans have some mandate (?) to dismantle the culture? It is sheer naked corporate propaganda that cannot stand on actual facts. Shortly, the next emergency budget is going to get cobbled together, and when Americans see the axe next to their throats, perhaps retaxing the uber-rich to the modest Clinton level might then make sense. Obama is a lost cause.
Colin

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Amskeptic wrote:... and when Americans see the axe next to their throats, perhaps retaxing the uber-rich to the modest Clinton level might then make sense. Obama is a lost cause.
Colin
Good lord that is cynical. I never thought I would see you write those words.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:30 am

chitwnvw wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:... and when Americans see the axe next to their throats, perhaps retaxing the uber-rich to the modest Clinton level might then make sense. Obama is a lost cause.
Colin
Good lord that is cynical. I never thought I would see you write those words.
Cynical? I think a better description might be "realistic". "Cynical" suggests a negative interpretation of a situation in a skeptical way. Obama has clearly displayed only a modest insight of his opportunity to rally the United States back to a leadership role. His populist campaign is quite obviously dead and gone. Our times require outstanding leadership. You see any?
Colin

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

it keeps getting uglier

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:37 am

Abusing Open Records to Attack Academic Freedom
http://scholarcitizen.williamcronon.net ... c-freedom/