ARGUE for Randomness

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

turk
IAC Addict!

ARGUE for Randomness

Post by turk » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:51 pm

We’re all almost boringly alike in our petty likes, dislikes, prejudice, self-absorption, common traits, and faults. Nonetheless, diversity is something most of us are fascinated with. It’s almost always interesting to meet someone different and get their outlook. Many times the different outlook then presents a dilemma to us. “Uh oh”, we start to think, as we divulge our minor philosophies, and the contrast to our peers’ opposite. It becomes an argument in which one is supposed the superior point of view. Then we proceed to determining chinks in each other’s armor in combat. Funny how we do it. So similar in opposite roles nonetheless. But this is necessary. It shouldn’t take away from the common place we share, but it does. I give props to Neal for not allowing it to completely run off the rails although me and him disagree on almost everything. Let the diversity of opinion and sharing of experience go on without the ignore button. Anyway, just a random NESS monster...
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Re: ARGUE for Randomness

Post by RussellK » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:33 pm

I hate mimes. Really I do. Clowns too.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:52 pm

I like them both mildly, but that isn't relevant. No one is a mime or a clown when they speak their convictions on a free speech internet message board. This is another form of communication concerned with specific topics that don't involve pantomime visuals and make-up.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:48 am

Do all debates have to a battle? For what purpose, to change someone else's mind? Not likely to happen. And like you say, it divides our IAC community and it's gets kind of boring playing against the same team all of the time.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:56 am

You wanna argue with me BP? You really wanna do that? ANSWER THE QUESTION BP.
Seriously though, all I am sayin' is a little more courtesy in debating those hot topics we hold so near and dear, because the funny thing is how similar we really are in being so combative in opposition. Realize that. Don't take things too personally. Try not to insinuate or attack the person, but the argument itself. When someone flat out says you aren't answering the "question" and acts up, I just see that as pushing an ignore button and using smilies instead of thinking and exchanging ideas. So, that's my story.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:05 am

turk wrote: You wanna argue with me BP? You really wanna do that? ANSWER THE QUESTION BP.
Weird. I could feel my blood pressure go up while reading that! It was like a mild physical response. Super strange.
turk wrote: Seriously though, all I am sayin' is a little more courtesy in debating those hot topics we hold so near and dear, because the funny thing is how similar we really are in being so combative in opposition. Realize that. Don't take things too personally. Try not to insinuate or attack the person, but the argument itself. When someone flat out says you aren't answering the "question" and acts up, I just see that as pushing an ignore button and using smilies instead of thinking and exchanging ideas. So, that's my story.
Good points.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:41 pm

My problem with the forum was that every thread turned into a climate change thread. I mean that almost literally... go try to find threads longer than 2 pages that didn't devolve into more of the same climate change blather.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:28 pm

That's true. I'm not the only one doing it though. I would prefer not, but it ain't suuch a big deal to me.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:23 pm

It's not a huge deal, but neither is someone clicking their pen nervously. Until they do it non-stop for 30 minutes, then it kinda turns into a bigger deal.

It's not only you, turk. That is true.

And often I was the other party.

Don't know what the solution is.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:59 am

Turk, I learned a long time ago that almost all decisions made by mankind throughout history are primarily emotionally based and cannot be changed by argument, logic, or demonstration.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:09 am

Emotion is a blessing but it is tough to keep it and purely intellectual pursuit from crossing over each other.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:13 am

differing opinions don't HAVE to be so painfully arrogant, belittling and repetitive.

"what do you think of this new law?"
"everyone on your side lies, and here's a bunch of copied material from one of MY favorite websites to prove my point"
"no, your wrong, and here's regurgitated material from my side, showing you guys are all idiots"

original thoughts without direct outside influence are interesting to hear. everything else is just more bandwidth fodder.

personally, I think going to a place where you know most everyone feels one particular way and almost non-stop trying to prove them wrong is attention whore-ish, kinda like starting a thread to promote why you feel you should continue doing so. it's probably a dick thing to admit in the forum, but if your gonna bring it up - that's the truth. most im sure just ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist since the rest of this place is so pleasant to be.

it's just depressing when you come to the itinerant website and realize that 75% of all the new posts are once again just more free speech bickering.
not that it can't be a healthy thing, it's just that it usually isn't.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:23 pm

There's no harm in exercising the old cantaloupe between the ears in discussing, and arguing controversial topics. I enjoy it and freely admit so. Anyone who feels "belittled" somehow has no one else to blame. "Bickering" is something I intend to avoid mostly. I try to stay focussed on ideas, not egos. I also try to avoid links from other opinion oriented sites, rather stick with facts. The facts commonly accepted on all sides. Have fun, exercise your own noodle, and play nice.