Post by ruckman101 » Fri May 13, 2011 4:56 pm

Anomalies are not contradictions.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

turk
IAC Addict!

Re: Spring Comes Early To The Arctic

Post by turk » Fri May 13, 2011 5:03 pm

Since we seem to be in the endeavor of predicting trends of the future we should be aware of, I'll add some of my own little observations here locally that would appear to show not anything new in this climate. Just two days ago (that would be about May 11) I was biking my seven mile commute and heard the distinct call of American Toads on the bike path. I saw one on the path in the early morning sun. I grabbed it and took some photographs of its yellow grey skin and reddish warts. Now exactly one and a half months ago I documented the mating season of Illinois Chorus frogs along the same path. I actually kept up with their calls for the interim. I still heard a few stragglers yesterday, but most are not calling anymore. They're done. Meanwhile we have had a late season of budding and flowering of trees. I would guestimate it's about two weeks or more later than normal. On the other hand, I've seen the flowering happen two or more weeks early in past springs. Right now it's still definitely spring here. Temps are in the 50's with fluctuations to the high eighties or rarely down to the 40's. I would not agree trends are changing the zone of plants in this area. There is not enough data to say that. Could be going colder in the future. All is about right. :-p
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri May 13, 2011 5:49 pm

It's kind of like a VW engine. You're driving along, and your oil-light comes on. You can keep going, telling yourself the light is on only because of a faulty wire, or immediately pull over and shut that engine down. If you keep driving, because you're convinced the data is wrong, eventually the engine will seize. Now the cost, time and effort to remedy the situation have dramatically increased compared to the cost, time and effort that would be needed if you had pulled over immediately and shut the engine off. Hey, it's your engine.

However, engine earth belongs to all of us.

neal

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri May 13, 2011 7:19 pm

A metaphor but how good? Why would we dismiss other evidence? Perhaps an agenda is in play where only one type of evidence is admissable.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri May 13, 2011 9:52 pm

What dismissal of other evidence? There it is, part of the data pool, noted variations from past modeled predictions.

neal

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sat May 14, 2011 8:22 am

ruckman101 wrote:What dismissal of other evidence? There it is, part of the data pool, noted variations from past modeled predictions.

neal
The difference between a 50% decline and an increase is a little more significant than a "noted variation". It seems more along the line of a complete change of direction, let's say a 90 degree turn. And acceleration is pretty much the opposite of deceleration. So, yeah, good you noted those. LOL.

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Sun May 15, 2011 8:51 pm

deschutestrout wrote:
turk wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
turk wrote: or the deceleration of sea rise by the Journal of Coastal Research,
I reserve the best for later.
So in other words...you're still searching for convincing, data-supported arguments?
Looks like I can still keep posting this :geek:
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Sun May 15, 2011 11:25 pm

yawn...
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....