29%
No
71%

Total votes: 21

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Re: Whither Libya?

Post by glasseye » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:23 pm

turk wrote:Not that I am aware of. Please tell how it "Uh, it did work".
On an international level, he was rendered by the no-fly policy, for lack of a better word, impotent. His reprehensible attacks on his own citizens notwithstanding.

Before you begin to attack my lack of compassion for the oppressed Iraqis, please consider the literally dozens of other similar regimes, most of which survive to this day, which were totally ignored by Fucktard and the rest of the West.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:50 pm

I don't want to attack you. I want to discuss this civilly. I do understand there will be difference of opinion. How could I not understand? So, even though Hussein was impotent as a traditional military threat to the larger region (other states) after Gulf War 1, he still had a military and control of a lot of people and land, and still practiced brutal oppression of anyone who opposed him in his country. It has a lot of people on it. He defied U.N. resolutions. He was still a threat. Most intelligence analysis said he could be developing WMDs. I don't have to remind you of the brutalities on the people like the Marsh Arabs, and the Kurds. That's not an attack is it? He tried to shoot down the planes which enforced the NFZ. All that would seem to say a NFZ didn't work, except only to prevent him from some other aggression outside his country. So, where to draw the line.
So, if the Libya mission is humanitarian, what's the dif? NFZ?
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:14 pm

Perhaps you missed my line: "His reprehensible attacks on his own citizens notwithstanding."

His threats to the rest of the world following the Gulf War were largely eliminated and thereafter sustained by the NFZ. That he tried to violate it is irrelevant.

Yes, "they" claimed he "could be" developing WMDs. In fact, they did claim that he was developing them. We all know how that turned out.

I repeat, he was largely hamstrung and rendered externally harmless by the NFZ, as is Qaddafi.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:36 pm

No I didn't miss anything. Kinda repeated your line myself, or didn't you catch it? The point is : NFZ didn't work to keep Hussein from butchering Kurds and Marsh Arabs, so how does it work in Libya? I'll be kind and assume you didn't catch my intent the first time. So, is it clear? NFZ didn't work in Iraq, but now it is supposed to work in Libya. How? Keeping Mumar from attacking his neighbors? Is that the humanitarian mission? Your response to the initial intent?
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:06 pm

Your understanding of the situation is deeply flawed turk. The bulk of Saddam's butchering and slaughtering of his citizens occurred before the NFZ was put in place and with full support from our government. After the NFZ was put in place, both the Kurds and Marsh Arabs rebelled with our government's encouragement, but then our government stepped back and left them to be killed by Saddam. From there it was the normal day to day business for Saddam, still brutal, but no more massacres as there had been in the past. So the NFZs were effective, even to an extent for the Iraqi populace.

http://civilliberty.about.com/od/intern ... ussein.htm

".... But what this rhetoric does not reflect is that, until 1991, Saddam Hussein was allowed to commit his atrocities with the full support of the U.S. government. The specifics of the al-Anfal Campaign were no mystery to the Reagan administration, but the decision was made to support the genocidal Iraqi government over the pro-Soviet theocracy of Iran, even to the point of making ourselves complicit in crimes against humanity.

Saddam Hussein was unquestionably one of the most brutal dictators of the 20th century. History cannot even begin to record the full scale of his atrocities and the effect they had on those affected and the families of those affected. But his most horrific acts, including the al-Anfal genocide, were committed in full view of our government--the government that we present to the world as a shining beacon of human rights.

Make no mistake: The ouster of Saddam Hussein was a victory for human rights, and if there is any silver lining to come from the brutal Iraq War, it is that Hussein is no longer slaughtering and torturing his own people. But we should fully recognize that every indictment, every epithet, every moral condemnation we issue against Saddam Hussein also indicts us. We should all be ashamed of the atrocities that were committed under our leaders' noses, and with our leaders' blessing."

Rah rah, wave that flag.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:51 am

Thank you, neal, for saving me all those keystrokes.

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Fri May 13, 2011 7:35 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Your understanding of the situation is deeply flawed turk. The bulk of Saddam's butchering and slaughtering of his citizens occurred before the NFZ was put in place and with full support from our government. After the NFZ was put in place, both the Kurds and Marsh Arabs rebelled with our government's encouragement, but then our government stepped back and left them to be killed by Saddam. From there it was the normal day to day business for Saddam, still brutal, but no more massacres as there had been in the past. So the NFZs were effective, even to an extent for the Iraqi populace.

http://civilliberty.about.com/od/intern ... ussein.htm

".... But what this rhetoric does not reflect is that, until 1991, Saddam Hussein was allowed to commit his atrocities with the full support of the U.S. government. The specifics of the al-Anfal Campaign were no mystery to the Reagan administration, but the decision was made to support the genocidal Iraqi government over the pro-Soviet theocracy of Iran, even to the point of making ourselves complicit in crimes against humanity.

Saddam Hussein was unquestionably one of the most brutal dictators of the 20th century. History cannot even begin to record the full scale of his atrocities and the effect they had on those affected and the families of those affected. But his most horrific acts, including the al-Anfal genocide, were committed in full view of our government--the government that we present to the world as a shining beacon of human rights.

Make no mistake: The ouster of Saddam Hussein was a victory for human rights, and if there is any silver lining to come from the brutal Iraq War, it is that Hussein is no longer slaughtering and torturing his own people. But we should fully recognize that every indictment, every epithet, every moral condemnation we issue against Saddam Hussein also indicts us. We should all be ashamed of the atrocities that were committed under our leaders' noses, and with our leaders' blessing."

Rah rah, wave that flag.

neal
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

We never "supported" Saddam, the way we supported Mubarak, or the Shah of Iran before Carter threw him to the wolves. There was no aid, and virtually no weapons sales, he got that from Russia, France and Germany. There was a very Middle Eastern "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" thing with giving him a little intel to make sure Iran didn't win their war, but Saddam's butchery was never "fully supported" by us.

I know this is a pillar of the liberal narrative of Iraq, but being endlessly repeated doesn't make it true.

Foreign policy is a mixture of idealism and ruthless adherence to national interests, so it will always be open to charges of hypocrisy. Failing to attack Saddam before he invaded Kuwait is nothing compared to standing by watching while 900,000 Rwandans were butchered in the biggest genocide since the Holocaust.

But back on the topic of making deals with the devil, the Libya situation still worries me. Seeing what happened to Saddam, Qaddafi made a deal with us to abandon his WMD program and stop supporting terrorism. We said "don't threaten us, and we don't care what you do to your own people". We broke that deal, and are now trying to kill him. North Korea is on record saying what a fool he was, and the right thing to do is get the nuclear weapons program over the hump so nobody can fuck with you while you abuse your subjects and threaten your neighbors..
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:15 pm

"The United States supported Iraq during the Iran–Iraq War as a counterbalance to post-revolutionary Iran. This support included several billion dollars worth of economic aid, the sale of dual-use technology, non-U.S. origin weaponry, military intelligence, Special Operations training, and direct involvement in warfare against Iran."

Yes, weapons came from other sources, but we oversaw those transactions.

And let me clarify. I have never been fool enough to believe our country is a saint. If anything, we are guiltier than every despot we have propped up. The rhetoric the shrub used to define our "enemies" after 9/11 was chilling for me, as every charge leveled against them in an effort to demonize we were more guilty of. We are the largest "rogue" nation on the planet.

You mention the Rwandan ethnic cleansing, suggesting letting Saddam slide was minor in comparison, which it was, but "not as bad as" is a weak excuse.

neal

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Fri May 13, 2011 8:34 pm

ruckman101 wrote: We are the largest "rogue" nation on the planet.
Aw fuck.

Freedom is not the natural state of man. It is a recent and rare phenomenon, won and preserved only at great cost.

Everyone who enjoys freedom today owes it to the United States of America and her powerful military.

You don't deserve it, but we'll let let you ride in the freedom, free speech bus.

When you are "disappeared", I'll know it's time to worry.
Truth is like poetry.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri May 13, 2011 9:11 pm

When the shit hits the fan liberals will become conservatives in a hurry. The world is, never was, the garden of eden, since those mythic stories happened. On the other hand, it's paradise waiting to happen, for some.
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”
Winston Churchill
He wasn't a dummy I think.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri May 13, 2011 9:22 pm

Curious that, what dozens of countries?, that "Arab Spring" thing?, you know, uprising against tyrannical regimes? Didn't our great country and military bring freedom to those countries? Why are the populaces uprising again?

Don't know about Churchill, but Robert Frost wrote "I never dared be radical when young for fear of being conservative when old."

ppfffft.
neal

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sat May 14, 2011 11:16 am

Love is all you need. Fear gets you nowhere. OH no the bombs are coming.
Those damn liberals.
Angry angry angry hooo boy. It's like a glow on th horizon.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat May 14, 2011 12:18 pm

hippiewannabe wrote:
Aw fuck.

Freedom is not the natural state of man. It is a recent and rare phenomenon, won and preserved only at great cost.

Everyone who enjoys freedom today owes it to the United States of America and her powerful military.

You don't deserve it, but we'll let let you ride in the freedom, free speech bus.

You've summed up the problem nicely. Freedom isn't "deserved". It's a human right. The US isn't some big daddy, doling out freedom to the deserving, like some reward, although that seems to be the tact, dangling freedom like a carrot on a stick. If a country has resources our government or corporations want, our powerful military comes in bearing freedom, as long as it's the right kind, otherwise, death rains down.

Right now our government is scrambling frantically to ensure the "right" free democracy lands in the places of power in the middle east.

It isn't your place to tell me what I deserve. Take off those "patriot" glasses, they're blurring your sight. And if I "disappeared", I doubt you would worry, after all, I probably "deserved" it.

neal

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Sun May 15, 2011 7:39 am

ruckman101 wrote:
hippiewannabe wrote:
Aw fuck.

You've summed up the problem nicely. Freedom isn't "deserved". It's a human right. The US isn't some big daddy, doling out freedom to the deserving, like some reward, although that seems to be the tact, dangling freedom like a carrot on a stick. If a country has resources our government or corporations want, our powerful military comes in bearing freedom, as long as it's the right kind, otherwise, death rains down.

Right now our government is scrambling frantically to ensure the "right" free democracy lands in the places of power in the middle east.

It isn't your place to tell me what I deserve. Take off those "patriot" glasses, they're blurring your sight. And if I "disappeared", I doubt you would worry, after all, I probably "deserved" it.

A human right, maybe. But it's not free. The price is dear, and it's paid in blood. The deserved part comes from understanding and appreciating that, not taking it for granted while nit-picking from the peanut gallery.
Truth is like poetry.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun May 15, 2011 11:15 am

Spare me your sermons big daddy. Currently, it would seem our powerful military is building nothing but terrorism.

neal