Liberia (documentary- graphic and depressing)

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Liberia (documentary- graphic and depressing)

Post by Velokid1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:00 pm

This is very graphic and very depressing, as well as being poop-yer-pants frightening. But it's also important.

A friend sent it to me as 'proof' that Americans have nothing to complain about, let alone protest about. To me it seems like comparing apples to orange rainboots, but the video has also haunted me for a few days now.

The first part of a multi-part set of videos on YouTube that comprise the whole documentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQSjyYRT ... r_embedded

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Re: Liberia (documentary- graphic and depressing)

Post by hippiewannabe » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:38 pm

That's what I've been trying to say.

Forget the meaningless skin color; genetically, that's each and every one of us.

AK-47's are more efficient than rocks and clubs or swords, but that describes most of human history.

We can do better, of course. But it infuriates me when people take for granted what we have achieved and obsess about our failings and minor hypocrisies.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:18 pm

I see your point but the love-it-or-leave-it mindset is oversimplification that appeals to simple-minded people, so you have to be careful how you move around it.

A crook shouldn't be let off the hook just because a child molester lives next door.

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:38 pm

Velokid1 wrote:I see your point but the love-it-or-leave-it mindset is oversimplification that appeals to simple-minded people, so you have to be careful how you move around it.

A crook shouldn't be let off the hook just because a child molester lives next door.
OK, I'll take it. The greatest country the world has ever known, in the best time to be alive in all of human history, can do better.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:21 pm

The fact is, with all the criticism aside, this country has done more than any other in history I know, to give individuals freedom and opportunity.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:31 pm

It's the Superbowl of Nations! Life's a football game to the average American.

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:42 am

Velokid1 wrote:It's the Superbowl of Nations! Life's a football game to the average American.
i'm anticipating spread with steel toward packing.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:33 am

turk wrote:The fact is, with all the criticism aside, this country has done more than any other in history I know, to give individuals freedom and opportunity.
The English might take issue with that oft-heard claim.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:47 am

glasseye wrote:
turk wrote:The fact is, with all the criticism aside, this country has done more than any other in history I know, to give individuals freedom and opportunity.
As would the Haitians.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:21 pm

glasseye wrote:

I did watch a bit of it but not all. I saw no freedom or opportunity from anyone. Only horror and sickness. We (The United States of America) have got a long way to go to make claims of heros.
Every country we visit in war, has land destroyed and families torn apart. We so proudly offer them refuge on our land after we bomb theirs to nothing.

Peter you got mail :sunny:
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:04 pm

I just watched the whole series. That is the most disturbing thing I've ever seen. It's like every documentary about a horrifying place rolled into one. Any truly evil thing you can think of happening all at once. I have a feeling that General Butt Naked will return. Maybe using the power he has gained as a minister to start another army.

I'll be saving this directors page and watching the rest of his stuff. Truly fearless journalism.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:30 pm

butt naked is on facebook under his real names.
check out his friends.
:thumbleft: