Post by ruckman101 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:01 pm

Example please?

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

turk
IAC Addict!

Re: My Rendition of the Rules

Post by turk » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:16 pm

Take your pick. Any topic I post in. I don't make unfounded personal aspersions against others, rather responses to the substance of the discussions with my personal opinions. They are backed with my reasons when challenged. The rest is, well, this disintegration to personal tit-for-tat. He said, she said, with innuendo of character assassination, and nothing more. For that see above. That's my closing argument on this throwaway episode, which, by the way, I didn't instigate.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:32 pm

Perhaps it is merely that your opinions are in the minority. And as far as I can tell, based on sources I find highly questionable.

neal

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:36 pm

turk wrote:Take your pick. Any topic I post in. I don't make unfounded personal aspersions against others, rather responses to the substance of the discussions with my personal opinions. They are backed with my reasons when challenged. The rest is, well, this disintegration to personal tit-for-tat. He said, she said, with innuendo of character assassination, and nothing more. For that see above. That's my closing argument on this throwaway episode, which, by the way, I didn't instigate.
Prove it, turk. YOU prove it. Go back and show me where you have ever acted like this was a family for you, or even a community. Show me where you have reached out to help others or to reaffirm common beliefs. Where have you ever been a friend to anyone here?

PROVE IT.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:04 pm

Really? Come on guys. Let's cut each other some slack. Could we start fresh? Live in the moment? Have an understanding that some things that true to us are also equally as true to others in a different way. Is the apple red, green, or white? We could all adamantly have our answers and all be right and wrong at the same time, right? Let's just live in the moment.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:20 pm

He's been a good friend to me.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:54 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Perhaps it is merely that your opinions are in the minority. And as far as I can tell, based on sources I find highly questionable.

neal

But I use sources common to everyone to make my points. To be specific: : the claims in IPCC annual reports; claims in mass-media weighed against commonly accepted historical data, such as the spread of Inuit culture during the last major warming period across the Northern Hemisphere about 1,000 years ago, and the Vikings' settlement of Greenland, and the propagation of vineyards in the British Isles at that time, etc.; also, the Harappan Civilization of the Indus River Valley having a history of catastrophic flooding going back 3,000 years, and the expanse of peat bogs in northwestern Asia being drained, mined and converted, thus making the region susceptible to drought and fires in the last century; and the fact population and civilization has undoubtedly expanded into more areas prone to droughts and low water tables such as the American Southwest and the Deep South, putting reservoirs in watersheds, straining fresh water supplies there for the benefit of modern urban communities; etc., etc., etc.. So, just a sampling there regarding one topic: I make a conscious effort to keep my points relevant to commonly accepted facts that everyone can understand.
Your claim my sources are highly questionable is questionable itself.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:00 pm

All valid only within the context of the exclusion of other relevant data.

I'll let it drop.

neal

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:52 pm

You remember. And I must take issue with what you implied. I do not exclude other relevant data. I include everything in my ongoing polemic. At least I tried. Everything you have presented, I considered and weighed against known facts and common sense. And I presented them to you. When you have made the vague assertion repeatedly that I "ignore" it, you never specified what I ignored. I may miss something, but in the discussions, I don't think I did. I was pretty diligent and comprehensive in my approach. But if I'm wrong about that you should point out specifically what I ignored, and maybe we can agree on something. I do think it's a rhetorical game to be vague and claim "scientific consensus" about general things like "climate change". YES, the climate changes. That's a fact. Why and how is not such a consensus, and that's such a trick used by the IPCC for example, in claiming a "consensus" that it is "very likely" due to anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions, AFTER the contributing scientists sign the document agreeing on the fact it is changing, but not the cause of it. There is NOT such consensus about that.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:06 am

BellePlaine wrote:Really? Come on guys. Let's cut each other some slack. Could we start fresh? Live in the moment? Have an understanding that some things that true to us are also equally as true to others in a different way. Is the apple red, green, or white? We could all adamantly have our answers and all be right and wrong at the same time, right? Let's just live in the moment.
chitwnvw wrote:He's been a good friend to me.
Yes I agree. This has become quite ridiculous. Why doesn't someone start an "Is Turk a prick" thread complete with a poll defining the degree of prickiness. You want a community you learn to get along with everyone. That include the crank across the street. The gal who wears the halter - but shouldn't and the contrarian down block. Otherwise its not a community. Its something else. Look. I like Turk. I do. I like everyone. We all have our rough edges. Turk reminds me of an annoying sibling. The one that makes you want to say "he's a smart little shit. Too bad he's wrong about everything" but still you want him over for dinner. So how about we all step back a bit and stop making this about Turk because honestly looking from the outside in it doesn't look like its Turk, its us. And what does that say about us.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:06 am

Group hug. Well, maybe not. This is one of my favorite quotes, translated it goes something like this: "Whatever the public blames you for, cultivate it; it is yourself." It is by Jean Cocteau. Now what the hell is this forum? A kindergarten class or a place to exchange and argue ideas. Yeah, that's right ARGUE. Adults are able to do that and still walk away with dignity. Well, some do. Thanks Russ.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:09 am

Um, last time I checked this was a Volkswagen forum.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:10 pm

This one is Free Speech/Whatever. It's open to diverse topics. Yes, I have a ACVW. I camp in it. I work on it. I could post thousands of trip pictures and technical problems. My dual Weber bodies just went in the carb-cleaner bath, fully stripped about an hour ago. Now that we are expecting weather in the 50's I will reassemble and mount them and start it up and tune them this week.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:09 pm

turk wrote:My dual Weber bodies just went in the carb-cleaner bath, fully stripped about an hour ago. Now that we are expecting weather in the 50's I will reassemble and mount them and start it up and tune them this week.
Please post in the appropriate forum . . .
aw HAWHAWHAW
No really, good luck.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles