Black Tea Party

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Black Tea Party

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:49 pm

Our country is racist. Look at the prison populations. The new "out of sight, out of mind" Jim Crow.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:53 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
vdubyah73 wrote: how do you explain away George W Bush's cabinet as compared to any other modern presidents cabinet?
I don't explain it away. Good for him. Good for GWB for his AIDS work in Africa.

vdubyah73 wrote: Wake up you guys we're going to hell in a handbasket. Social gov't doesn't work, look to Europe. What countries are in trouble and on the verge of collapse. How many of them have a heavy entitlement program load?
But Bill, the only people trying to discredit our government are the people who are hell-bent on starving the funding for programs we actually do need and like! These people, read my lips, Want Government To Fail.
We took in less revenue last year as a percentage of GDP than any time since 1949! Yet Obama's policies DID manage to shrink the deficit a modest amount last year. Social Security is free-standing independent of any discussion of the deficit, yet there are deceitful people out there trying to muddy the waters. Just by removing the cap on S.S. payments, it would be self-sufficient into perpetuity.

Our biggest problem in this country, is not the style of our government, nor is it our entitlement programs, which are modest by other industrial country standards. It is the corporate incest going on Congress and now, I hate to say it, but even the Supreme Court. Scalia and Thomas down at a Koch Brothers retreat? Good GOD.

Bill, if we put in the exact tax code we had under Reagan, and made behomeths like GE actually pay their taxes instead of pay $0.00 like last year, due to loopholes, we would be paying our bills. Government has not grown under Democrats, it grew under Reagan and GWBush particularly, with that bloated Homeland Security Department, but even so, we are about 20-24% government/vs private and it has been this way for decades.

Medicare is our bugaboo. It is not the care itself that is so costly. It is the charges run up by pharmaceuticals and HMOs/hospitals and specialty practices. Other countries have greater medical burdens and are paying only half as much as we are. There is time for us to save our necks. The healthcare law is designed to to rein in some of these costs and actually help trim the deficit over the next decade. We working on it, Bill. We can do it, but it will take some courage from those rich fat asses who just can't tolerate paying even Clinton-era tax rates on income that has almost doubled through this recession.
Colin
If sausage is being made, as in the health care reform, it stands to my reason the people should be allowed to see the sausage being made. This is one reason why the elections went the way they did in November. The sausage was made in the dark. Now it will be re-qualified. The stage of American politics is big, so it requires more time to enact a bill as complex and sweeping as that. The system is working. Regardless of what the media pundits' and rhetoricians' impact on the debate was, it is a significant act, and needs more than a week to decipher and allow public commentary on. It shouldn't be boiled down to platitudes, and simplistic comparisons of other systems. It isn't simple and it isn't so complicated we can't get it right. It takes time. Let the debate continue.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:21 am

How was the Healthcare Bill made in the dark? The GOP refused to participate in the debates! The Democrats went it alone but even among their ranks there was a lot of discussion on how the Bill was to be setup. 8 months should be long enough to enact a Bill as complex as the Healthcare Bill. It went that long because of off all the lobbying by the Insurance Corps efforts..
This is another of those BS FoxNews crap hyperbole just like the "Birthers" arguements... The GOP made its bed and now still has to sleep in it.

I say "Move on" and get to work on the real problems of the USA- excessive Military spending, Pork barrel spending and jobs!
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:19 am

That's easy. Ever see Frank Capra's film Mr. Smith Goes to Washington? Jefferson Smith, played by Jimmy Stewart, suggests to a colleague that perhaps it would be a good idea to read bills before voting on them.

"The bills?" responds an incredulous Senator Paine, played by Claude Rains. "These bills are put together by legal minds after long study. I can't understand half of them myself, and I used to be a lawyer."

Forget it, he tells Smith. "When the time comes, I'll advise you how to vote."

Observe in the posts above that vdubyah73 and Amskeptic have differing perspectives on what's in the bill, each pointing to various details the other may not have considered. No one seems to know the whole enchilada though. What's the hurry? The bill isn't supposed to take effect for a few years, correct? Meanwhile, hundreds of waivers from its rules have been issued to corporations.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:11 am

Amskeptic wrote: Our biggest problem in this country, is not the style of our government, nor is it our entitlement programs, which are modest by other industrial country standards. It is the corporate incest going on Congress and now, I hate to say it, but even the Supreme Court. Scalia and Thomas down at a Koch Brothers retreat? Good GOD.
Colin
I kind of agree with you here. Are you disappointed like I am about Reid's attitude towards Obama vowing to veto any legislation with earmarks? In the news this morning was a clip of Reid saying that Obama was grabbing too much power and the federal government doesn't know what local districts need. I've always said that I don't blame the corporations, I blame our representatives for selling out when they do. Obama is willing to be a check and balance to the sausage making and I think that is a good thing.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/210466/nbc-to ... g-earmarks
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:41 am

One of the newest Senators is Roy Blunt. He is unabashedly in favor of earmarks just like his predecessor Kit Bond. Both are Republicans that rail against spending unless the money is being spent in their district. Its a heck of a way to run a government. Tax cuts for the rich and tax cuts for corporations? I'm not the brightest guy, only being in a business for 27 years probably doesn't qualify me for much, but in my experience its never a great idea to cut revenue streams particularly in lean years. Like I said. Its a heck of a way to run a government.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:55 am

How slimy. There is no credibility with these guys.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:12 am

Earmarks don't generate revenue, whatever they are supposed to underwrite is supposed to, in some cases.
Just sayin.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:01 am

turk wrote:Earmarks don't generate revenue, whatever they are supposed to underwrite is supposed to, in some cases.
Just sayin.
Did you interpret my post as saying that? If you did let me explain I was addressing the two separate items as poor ways to run a government. And none of this has anything to do with black Tea Party membership. I

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:34 am

I don't interpret it like that. Just sayin.