Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Climate Of Hate - Paul Krugman

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:01 pm

Climate of Hate
By PAUL KRUGMAN
January 9, 2011

When you heard the terrible news from Arizona, were you completely surprised? Or were you, at some level, expecting something like this atrocity to happen?
Put me in the latter category. I’ve had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach ever since the final stages of the 2008 campaign. I remembered the upsurge in political hatred after Bill Clinton’s election in 1992 — an upsurge that culminated in the Oklahoma City bombing. And you could see, just by watching the crowds at McCain-Palin rallies, that it was ready to happen again. The Department of Homeland Security reached the same conclusion: in April 2009 an internal report warned that right-wing extremism was on the rise, with a growing potential for violence.

Conservatives denounced that report. But there has, in fact, been a rising tide of threats and vandalism aimed at elected officials, including both Judge John Roll, who was killed Saturday, and Representative Gabrielle Giffords. One of these days, someone was bound to take it to the next level. And now someone has.

It’s true that the shooter in Arizona appears to have been mentally troubled. But that doesn’t mean that his act can or should be treated as an isolated event, having nothing to do with the national climate.

Last spring Politico.com reported on a surge in threats against members of Congress, which were already up by 300 percent. A number of the people making those threats had a history of mental illness — but something about the current state of America has been causing far more disturbed people than before to act out their illness by threatening, or actually engaging in, political violence.

And there’s not much question what has changed. As Clarence Dupnik, the sheriff responsible for dealing with the Arizona shootings, put it, it’s “the vitriolic rhetoric that we hear day in and day out from people in the radio business and some people in the TV business.” The vast majority of those who listen to that toxic rhetoric stop short of actual violence, but some, inevitably, cross that line.

It’s important to be clear here about the nature of our sickness. It’s not a general lack of “civility,” the favorite term of pundits who want to wish away fundamental policy disagreements. Politeness may be a virtue, but there’s a big difference between bad manners and calls, explicit or implicit, for violence; insults aren’t the same as incitement.

The point is that there’s room in a democracy for people who ridicule and denounce those who disagree with them; there isn’t any place for eliminationist rhetoric, for suggestions that those on the other side of a debate must be removed from that debate by whatever means necessary.

And it’s the saturation of our political discourse — and especially our airwaves — with eliminationist rhetoric that lies behind the rising tide of violence.

Where’s that toxic rhetoric coming from? Let’s not make a false pretense of balance: it’s coming, overwhelmingly, from the right. It’s hard to imagine a Democratic member of Congress urging constituents to be “armed and dangerous” without being ostracized; but Representative Michele Bachmann, who did just that, is a rising star in the G.O.P.

And there’s a huge contrast in the media. Listen to Rachel Maddow or Keith Olbermann, and you’ll hear a lot of caustic remarks and mockery aimed at Republicans. But you won’t hear jokes about shooting government officials or beheading a journalist at The Washington Post. Listen to Glenn Beck or Bill O’Reilly, and you will.

Of course, the likes of Mr. Beck and Mr. O’Reilly are responding to popular demand. Citizens of other democracies may marvel at the American psyche, at the way efforts by mildly liberal presidents to expand health coverage are met with cries of tyranny and talk of armed resistance. Still, that’s what happens whenever a Democrat occupies the White House, and there’s a market for anyone willing to stoke that anger.

But even if hate is what many want to hear, that doesn’t excuse those who pander to that desire. They should be shunned by all decent people.

Unfortunately, that hasn’t been happening: the purveyors of hate have been treated with respect, even deference, by the G.O.P. establishment. As David Frum, the former Bush speechwriter, has put it, “Republicans originally thought that Fox worked for us and now we’re discovering we work for Fox.”

So will the Arizona massacre make our discourse less toxic? It’s really up to G.O.P. leaders. Will they accept the reality of what’s happening to America, and take a stand against eliminationist rhetoric? Or will they try to dismiss the massacre as the mere act of a deranged individual, and go on as before?

If Arizona promotes some real soul-searching, it could prove a turning point. If it doesn’t, Saturday’s atrocity will be just the beginning.
Highlights mine.

For anyone who wants to claim that Democrats are in this "just as much as the Republicans" or that "left wing radio is just as bad as Fox/Limbaugh/Beck", no no no, not this time. There is a difference between the righteous anger of a Keith Olbermann and the quick witted, intelligent and clever political mocking of a Rachael Maddow and the hate filled rhetoric that floods the airwaves from Fox News daily. There is no moral equivalency here.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Re: Climate Of Hate - Paul Krugman

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:17 pm

I have had to stop following all of it, at least for a little while.

There was this Louis Black documentary that I saw last week where he was ranting about how everyone bitching and fighting about taxes and abortion and right/left wing BS have been having the same god damned fights for DECADES - and what's been decided thus far? Not a damned thing. Nothing. People are more and more willing to just shove their head straight up whichever ass they have selected for their lives and are going to stick with it.

Any facts that come out proving their side wrong are skewed, and anyone not listening to THEIR facts are idiots.
Either my patience for such rhetoric has dwindled completely, or the pure hatred that is now spewing from these mouthpieces is just so f'ing loud I simply can't hear myself think anymore.

....for now im going to simply Turn On, Tune In, and Drop Out.
1979 California Transporter

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:28 pm

actually Colin, a friend of loughner, he was the closest thing to a best friend a lunatic could have, was interviewed on Good Morning America this morning. Loughner is a lunatic, plain and simple.

ABC
Jared Loughner’s friend says suspect ‘Did not watch TV … disliked the news’

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/jar ... ews_b48040

The left wing will use this to push their agenda for gun control and silencing talk radio. Lunatics like that would find a gun or build a bomb no matter what laws we "normal" people find we have to abide by.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:34 pm

Even harsher rhetoric can be found on the internet. What sites was he frequenting?

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:43 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Even harsher rhetoric can be found on the internet. What sites was he frequenting?
ding ding ding, what you hear on radio and see on TV is just the 'softened' versions of the messages being pushed out there.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:54 pm

he liked that salvia weed and the zietgiest movement.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:14 pm

I don't like raisins in baked goods, and cherries are disgusting unless they are fresh. Salvia didn't do nothing for me, still legal, too.

neal

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:14 pm

C'mon. Krugman is playing psychoanalyst now and says he knew this would happen and it's because of the "G.O.P.". And he even says in the end, "this is just the beginning". WTF is wrong with this moron? He WANTS IT TO BE because of the G.O.P.. There is no evidence it had anything to do with the G.O.P.. Talk about bloviating incendiary rhetoric.
The best comment was "eliminate the eliminationists, .. oh wait". Does anyone remember all the vitriol when Bush was president? Or the rhetoric still coming about the right? How about "bringing a gun to a knife fight", or that other one about telling the Latinos to stand and fight against our enemy, (from Obama). Gimme a break. This is so not worth anyone with a brain's time. Sarah Palin had a decent rebuttal to all this hoo hah, with the exception of the "blood libel" bit.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:29 pm

I wasn't surprised when violent attacks against muslims upticked after the proposed legal community center became politicized by conservatives. I wasn't surprised when planes crashed into the world trade center in September. Writing on the wall. Entirely plausable.

Not if, but when.

neal

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:57 pm

An excellent rant by William Rivers Pitt. The Conservatives' quotes at the end of the article are particularly illuminating.

http://www.truth-out.org/the-wrath-fool ... right66686
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:53 am

"And there’s a huge contrast in the media. Listen to Rachel Maddow or Keith Olbermann, and you’ll hear a lot of caustic remarks and mockery aimed at Republicans. But you won’t hear jokes about shooting government officials or beheading a journalist at The Washington Post. Listen to Glenn Beck or Bill O’Reilly, and you will."

yes, and the GOP extremists say its "Freedom of Speech". Is exciting a riot "Freedom of Speech"? Bullying someone to commit suicide on Facebook isn't Freedom of Speech......
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:09 am

ruckman101 wrote:I wasn't surprised when violent attacks against muslims upticked after the proposed legal community center became politicized by conservatives. I wasn't surprised when planes crashed into the world trade center in September. Writing on the wall. Entirely plausable.

Not if, but when.

neal
Were you surprised at the Ft. Hood shooter. No right? How about Prez Obummer doing his "shout out" at that memorial for the what 32 killed? Then that we "shouldn't jump to conclusions about the shooter". Remember that? Duh.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:44 am

You think Sarah Palin should update her map to show one of her targets crossed out?

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:59 am

It's not too late to get your tickets for the Crossroads Gun Show in Pima, Arizona, just a few miles from the recent shootings. :bounce:

http://crossroadsgunshows.com/gunsched.htm

Bonus: kids under twelve get in FREE! :cheers:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:26 pm

vdubyah73 wrote:actually Colin, a friend of loughner, he was the closest thing to a best friend a lunatic could have

Even nowadays, people always wonder why I find careful punctuation so important.