The Triumph of Propaganda

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

turk
IAC Addict!

The Triumph of Propaganda

Post by turk » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:50 am

It is not difficult to deprive the vast majority of independent thought.

Does anyone remember what happened on Christmas Eve last year? In one of the most expensive Christmas presents ever, the government removed the $400 billion limit on their Fannie and Freddie guaranty. This act increased taxpayer liabilities by six trillion dollars; however, the news was lost in the holiday cheer. This is one instance in a broader campaign to manipulate the public perception, gradually depriving us of independent thought.

Consider another example: what news story broke on April 16, 2010? Most of us would say the SEC's lawsuit against Goldman Sachs. Goldman is the market leader in "ripping the client's face off,"[ii] in this instance creating a worst-of-the-worst pool of securities so Paulson & Co could bet against it. Many applauded the SEC for this action. Never mind that singling out one vice president (the "Fabulous Fab") and one instance of fraud is like charging Al Capone with tax evasion. The dog was wagged.

Very few caught the real news that day, namely the damning complicity of the SEC in the Stanford Ponzi scheme. Clearly, Stanford was the bigger story, costing thousands of investors billions of dollars while Goldman later settled for half a billion. Worse, the SEC knew about Stanford since 1997, but instead of shutting it down, people left the SEC to work for Stanford. This story should have caused widespread outrage and reform of the SEC; instead it was buried in the back pages and lost to the public eye.

Lest we think the timing of these was mere coincidence, the Goldman lawsuit was settled on July 15, 2010, the same day the financial reform package passed. The government threw Goldman to the wolves in order to hide its own shame. When the government had its desired financial reforms, it let Goldman settle. These examples demonstrate a clear pattern of manipulation. Unfortunately, our propaganda problem runs far deeper than lawsuits and Ponzi schemes.

Here is a more important question: which companies own half of all subprime and Alt-A (liar loan) bonds? Paul Krugman writes that these companies were "mainly out of the picture during the housing bubble's most feverish period, from 2004 to 2006. As a result, the agencies played only a minor role in the epidemic of bad lending."[iii] This phrase is stupefying. How can a pair of companies comprise half of a market and yet have no major influence in it? Subprime formed the core of the financial crisis, and Fannie and Freddie (the "agencies") formed the core of the subprime market. They were not "out of the picture" during the subprime explosion, they were the picture. The fact that a respectable Nobel prize-winner flatly denies this is extremely disturbing.

Amazingly, any attempt to hold the government accountable for its role in the subprime meltdown is dismissed as right-wing propaganda. This dismissal is left-wing propaganda. It was the government that initiated securitization as a tool to dispose of RTC assets. Bill Clinton ducks all responsibility, ignoring how his administration imposed arbitrary quotason any banks looking to merge as Attorney General Janet Reno "threatened legal action against lenders whose racial statistics raised her suspicions."[iv] Greenspan fueled the rise of subprime derivatives by lowering rates,[v] lowering reserves,[vi] and beating down reasonable opposition. And at the center of it all were Fannie and Freddie bribing officials, committing fraud, dominating private-sector competition, and expanding to a six-trillion-dollar debacle. The fact that these facts are dismissed as propaganda shows just how divorced from reality our ‘news' has become. Yes, half of all economists are employed by the government, but this is no reason to flout one's professional responsibility. As a nation we need to consider all the facts, not just those that are politically expedient.

Today neither side tells the truth and everybody suffers. The triumph of propaganda allows oil companies to dictate energy policy,[vii] health insurance companies to hamstring much-needed health care reform, and the government to lead a witch-hunt against banks while shirking responsibility for the largest financial crisis in our generation. The result is trillions in wasted monies, a nation divided and disillusioned, and worse and worse people coming to power on both sides.[viii] We should all know where this trajectory leads. It leads to one last question: what brand of totalitarianism do you want, the imperialist megalomania of a Cheney or the impotentwelfare state of Obama?

Nemo Almen is the author of The Last Dodo: The Great Recession and our Modern-Day Struggle for Survival.

F. A. Hayek, The Road To Serfdom (London: University of Chicago Press, 2007) 175.

[ii] Frank Partnoy, Fiasco: The Inside Story of a Wall Street Trader (New York: Penguin, 1999).

[iii] Paul Krugman, The Return of Depression Economics (New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 2009) 163.

[iv] Thomas Sowell, The Housing Boom and Bust (New York: Basic Books, 2009) 37.

[v] Greenspan lowered rates to 1.75% to November 2002, 1.25% to August 2004, then 1% to June 2004.

[vi] Gillian Tett, Fool's Gold (New York: Simon & Schuster, 2009) 63.

[vii] Thomas Friedman, Hot, Flat, and Crowded (New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2008) 378: "In total, the oil companies and their allies reportedly spent close to $100 million on ads and lobbying to kill Proposition 87 (a California per-barrel tax whose revenue would be used for alternative energy). That is almost as much as Bill Clinton spent to become president in 1992."

[viii] See Robert G. Kaiser, So Damn Much Money (New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2009).
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:34 am

Yet people harp about big media's "liberal" bent.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

turk
IAC Addict!

Re: The Triumph of Propaganda

Post by turk » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:56 am

The triumph of propaganda allows oil companies to dictate energy policy
But who banned off-shore drilling? The oil companies? Not everything in this article makes sense.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:25 pm

turk wrote:
The triumph of propaganda allows oil companies to dictate energy policy
But who banned off-shore drilling? The oil companies? Not everything in this article makes sense.
No, not everything makes sense, does it?

We had the worst oil spill in the history of oil drilling, and who the fuck do you think would institute a temporary ban to investigate what the hell happened?
The oil companies?

And speaking of insane propaganda, who made more money last year than before the financial crisis that has screwed millions of people from their homes and retirements? That's right, poor picked-on Goldman Sachs.

The Fox News sheep, if given the chance, will bleat with joy as the rich bastards drive them right over the cliff, Ain't America great? I can fly!

They blame the very government that is supposed to be of the people for the people, but for the fact that the government has been kidnapped by ruthless corporate bastards who now throw bones to pathetic little twits who do their bidding.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:15 pm

At least give credit to the guy who actually wrote it....

http://www.americanthinker.com/printpag ... ganda.html
79 VW Bus

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:21 pm

turk wrote: Nemo Almen is the author of The Last Dodo: The Great Recession and our Modern-Day Struggle for Survival.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:13 pm

Amskeptic wrote: And speaking of insane propaganda, who made more money last year than before the financial crisis that has screwed millions of people from their homes and retirements? That's right, poor picked-on Goldman Sachs.
That's the same point the article is making. In other words the lawsuit was propaganda by the SEC.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:15 pm

Amskeptic wrote:[..., and who the fuck do you think ...]

[...The Fox News sheep, if given the chance, will bleat with joy as the rich bastards drive them right over the cliff, Ain't America great? I can fly!...]

[... bones to pathetic little twits who do their bidding.
Who are these people deserving of such a verbal unloading? I'm not aware to any connection to "Fox News" in this article, but the apparent target of your badgering is. All your points in between the truckload of guttermouth were lost in the dreck.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:34 pm

turk wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: A[..., and who the fuck do you think ...]

B[...The Fox News sheep, if given the chance, will bleat with joy as the rich bastards drive them right over the cliff, Ain't America great? I can fly!...]

C[... bones to pathetic little twits who do their bidding.
Who are these people deserving of such a verbal unloading? I'm not aware to any connection to "Fox News" in this article, but the apparent target of your badgering is. All your points in between the truckload of guttermouth were lost in the dreck.
A) Rhetorical Flourish that aims at nobody. Who the fuck.... ? See?

B) Bleating Fox News Sheep include every single human being who watches Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, (and sometimes Bill O'Reilley who does have a sense of humor by the way). I have no idea who they are, but I still chat with them all across the country WITHOUT PREJUDICE.

C. Now come on. Our "representatives" in Congress :geek:

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:01 pm

Do you think that kind of rhetorical flourish works to communicate with those people who you chat with all across the country? I don't know. I hear about Fox News all the time here. Seems people watch it a lot. I don't know, it just seems there could be less of that kind of rhetoric aimed at no one in particular, but everybody "else". I guess it breaks down generally who is right and who is wrong, implicitly. But it doesn't address the propaganda coming from both sides, only one. That's kind of why this article caught my eye, and I thought it would be worth discussing because it wasn't so one-sided. I didn't agree with everything in it.

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:22 am

I seem to detect a lack of optimism in this thread.
Do the posters still have money in their pockets?
Food on the table, functioning credit accounts, jobs?
Electricity to power their pc's, I don't think nearly enough research has been done.
I look around everyday, and I just don't see any evidence of any harm done, that can be attributed to some paper printed with numbers on it.
Optimism only works if you use it on everything, like ketchup or mayonnaise.
Aloha.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:32 am

Mayo is disgusting, and ketchup dicey what with all that high fructose corn syrup and gluten added.

Now a clean unadulterated hot pepper sauce, now we're talking optimism. A wonderful endorphin raising burning optimism.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:38 am

Spezialist wrote:I seem to detect a lack of optimism in this thread.
Do the posters still have money in their pockets?
Food on the table, functioning credit accounts, jobs?
Electricity to power their pc's, I don't think nearly enough research has been done.
I look around everyday, and I just don't see any evidence of any harm done, that can be attributed to some paper printed with numbers on it.
Optimism only works if you use it on everything, like ketchup or mayonnaise.
Aloha.
Aloha.

Radiation and money belong is the same category of invisible harm.

Money, paper with numbers, somehow stops the person who has the medicine from giving it to the person who will die without it who does not have this stupid paper with numbers on it.

That paper allows some to catch a jet to Cancun while others without it freeze to death in their dark homes like that 88 year-old lady outside of Cincinnatti whose electricity was shut off over a $7.24 error/oversight/old-lady-refusal-on-principle.

Optimism is as many times a pollyannish denial of reality, as an infectious can-do spirit.
Colin