Frankly Orwellian Net Neutrality

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Frankly Orwellian Net Neutrality

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:18 pm

It is a defeat being touted as a victory.

From the Huffington Post 12/20/10
Late Monday, a majority of the FCC's commissioners indicated that they're going to vote with Chairman Julius Genachowski for a toothless Net Neutrality rule.

According to all reports, the rule, which (were) voted on during tomorrow's FCC meeting, falls drastically short of earlier pledges by President Obama and the FCC Chairman to protect the free and open Internet.

The rule is so riddled with loopholes that it's become clear that this FCC chairman crafted it with the sole purpose of winning the endorsement of AT&T and cable lobbyists, and not defending the interests of the tens of millions of Internet users.

Welcome to AT&T's Internet

For the first time in history of telecommunications law the FCC has given its stamp of approval to online discrimination.

Instead of a rule to protect Internet users' freedom to choose, the Commission has opened the door for broadband payola - letting phone and cable companies charge steep tolls to favor the content and services of a select group of corporate partners, relegating everyone else to the cyber-equivalent of a winding dirt road.

Instead of protecting openness on wireless Internet devices like the iPhone and Droid, the Commission has exempted the mobile Internet from Net Neutrality protections. This move enshrines Verizon and AT&T as gatekeepers to the expanding world of mobile Internet access, allowing them to favor their own applications while blocking, degrading or de-prioritizing others.

Instead of re-establishing the FCC's authority to act as a consumer watchdog over the Internet, it places the agency's authority on a shaky and indefensible legal footing -- giving ultimate control over the Internet to a small handful of carriers.

Obama's 'Mission Accomplished'

Internet users deserve far better, and we thought we were going to get it from a president who promised to "take a backseat to no one in my commitment to Net Neutrality." Watch now as he and his FCC chairman try to spin tomorrow's betrayal as another "mission accomplished."

Don't believe it. This bogus victory has become all too familiar to those watching the Obama administration and its appointees squander opportunities for real change. The reality is that reform is just a rhetorical front for industry compromises that reward the biggest players and K-Street lobbyists while giving the public nothing.

It's not the FCC chairman's job to seek consensus among the corporations that he was put into office to regulate. His duty is to protect Internet users.

More than two million people have taken action on behalf of Net Neutrality. To(day), we'll all (got) the carpet yanked from beneath our feet.

Net Neutrality is the freedom of speech, freedom of choice issue of the 21st century. It's the guarantee of a more open and democratic media system that was baked into the Internet at its founding.

On Tuesday, Obama's FCC is going to (sold) that out.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:07 am

gee, I bet that network won't be wikileaking.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:58 am

You can bet ATT (SBC) was lobbying hard for that. I need to go read the mass email sent out yesterday about this ruling sent to us grunts in the trenches. I think it said we didn't get much from it.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:59 am

"Change you can believe in"

Ya, right.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:19 am

Which party is more likely to add up political will to de-fang the regulatory werewolf guarding the henhouse proposed by do-gooder commissions?
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:26 am

Everybody must choose their political party now!! Stop asking questions! Just choose, then follow.

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:49 pm

Velokid1 wrote:Everybody must choose their political party now!! Stop asking questions! Just choose, then follow.
I stand on the side lines and laugh at everybody.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:37 pm

Apparently the bone we get is a bit of net neutrality on a hard-wired internet connection. Two tiered all the way on any wireless device.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:09 pm

turk wrote:Which party is more likely to add up political will to de-fang the regulatory werewolf guarding the henhouse proposed by do-gooder commissions?
You can't be serious! You cannot be. Do you write this Fox News vomitus with a straight face?

The problem with "regulation" in today's corporate oligarchy is not that our regulatory bodies have fangs, far from it, it is that "regulations" are written by the very corporations that are supposed to be regulated. The FCC caved. There is double-speak going on here. This is the moment that we are losing the open internet, and the slack-jawed mouth-breathing Fox News couch potatoes are letting the corporate werewolves eat us citizens and consumers alive.
Pathetic.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:43 pm

I agree. I'm starting to get a handle on what this bullshit will do. In the words of my internet savvy friend (I'm a dumbfuck when it comes to this), it's giving the bad guys ideas. Like you can drive as fast as you want in between the posted speed limit signs -the corporations who can block access to ports so they can save money that is.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero