18%
Neah
18%

Total votes: 44

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

WikiLeaks

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:40 pm

Personally I don't believe in censorship. Flat out. I do however have issue with the legal definition of money as free speech.

There's certainly been frothing over the latest releases. And it's curious that Assange is Interpol's most wanted, not over WikiLeaks. And it's curious that the furor tends to be outrage over the leaks rather than the atrocities revealed.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:13 pm

I agree with you Neal, on all of your points. I just can't decide yet what I think. Also the alliances that will come from this will be interesting to watch; who partners with whom over persecution....
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:47 pm

I would be pissed about the kind of leaks if when they happened the info revealed simply exposed the US to its enemies; but when the things revealed are heinous crimes and corruption, I have a really hard time defending the government's/militaries right to keep secrets.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:57 pm

These docs don't really provide much, the banking info coming up next, I hear, will top the leaked ENRON communiques.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:07 pm

its kind of amusing reading, but truthfully it doesnt even begin to scratch the surface...beneath the permafrost of official statements and public relations dutifully dispensed daily by the media, is a whole nother world of machiavellian manipulation...not fit for the virgin ears of Joe & Jane sixpack
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:39 pm

I keep swinging back and forth on this one. At first, I was delighted. What's it called? "schadenfreude"?

One thing that might result is the reluctance of anybody, especially governments, to put anything the least bit controversial in writing. It will in fact, limit our knowledge of what they're up to.

Some of it is certainly delicious reading. The revelations about the Afghan government certainly give pause.

Canadians are snickering at the revealed communications by American diplomats to each other about us and our inferiority complex. And especially the viewing with fear by those same diplomats of a Canadian comedy series called "Little Mosque on the Prairie" It jokingly portrays Muslim life in Saskatchewan.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:53 pm

I think it's a net positive. It will make it harder for governments to do shady stuff in the future.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:29 am

Having spent 22 years in Air Force communications I can't say any of the disclosure was good.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:49 am

Here's what an eminent historian has to say:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/03/opini ... ef=opinion
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:55 am

I don't see Assange as anything more than a pathetic hacker interested in stroking his ego. Solid investigative journalism? You bet. I'm all for it. This ain't it.

Ashtarot
Getting Hooked!

Post by Ashtarot » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:39 am

Um-biassed journalism is a hard nut to swallow, even if you have been complaining that there is a lack of out there for the last 30 years.
The guy is not giving you his opinion, you shouldn't need it.
"I hold the most archaic values on earth ... the fertility of the soul, the magic of the animals, the power-vision in solitude.... the love and ecstasy of the dance, the common work of the tribe."
Gary Snyder

twinfalls
IAC Addict!

Post by twinfalls » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:46 pm

There is not much in the wikileaks that was not already known by who wants to know.
The good thing is, this is proved, cross checked by reputable newspapers, to leave no doubt about the facts.
I like truth and better when it is fully proved, in this world of media propaganda.
1974 stock US Westy 1800cc PDSIT 34 2-3.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:53 pm

Assange doesn't call himself a journalist, but rather an "Information Activist".

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:55 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Assange doesn't call himself a journalist, but rather an "Information Activist".

neal
An information activist?. How charming. He gave himself a name. Releasing documents many without any context, done without apparent consideration of potentially negative outcomes makes me think of a very different name. Perhaps there is one item where I might agree with him. He isn't a journalist. A trade that requires intellect and talent.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:01 pm

RussellK wrote:
An information activist?. How charming. He gave himself a name. Releasing documents many without any context, done without apparent consideration of potentially negative outcomes makes me think of a very different name. Perhaps there is one item where I might agree with him. He isn't a journalist. A trade that requires intellect and talent.
how about potentially positive outcomes ?
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."