Free speech limited

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

busboy
I'm New!

Free speech limited

Post by busboy » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:40 pm

How can you call a forum "free speech" and limit it like you have here?
Are you frightened by true freedom? What do you fear?

Please don't give me the "with freedom comes responsibility" lecture. This is just an internet forum, right?

So far I have seen Colin threaten to delete one of my posts, encourage invitions to the split bus forum, only to split bus owners who "love" all types of A/C VW's and now this limited free speech forum.

I'm kinda new to this internet forum thingy, but...

What gives?
I like 'em Bay!

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Re: Free speech limited

Post by spiffy » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:09 pm

busboy wrote:How can you call a forum "free speech" and limit it like you have here?

Please don't give me the "with freedom comes responsibility" lecture. This is just an internet forum, right?

So far I have seen Colin threaten to delete one of my posts, encourage invitions to the split bus forum, only to split bus owners who "love" all types of A/C VW's and now this limited free speech forum.

I'm kinda new to this internet forum thingy, but...

What gives?
Take this for what it is worth (just offering up a constructive suggestion) Sometimes we get misunderstood not by the content of what we say but how it is delivered....easy to do when you can't talk to someone face to face, know what I mean? :smt090
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Maybe some people are oversensitive because of what went down over on thesamba. Your post about the description of the thermostat could have been taken as inflammatory towards the original poster. Who by the way is a longtime member of thesamba, with ocassionaly sharp posts in the rants over there.
Anyway the way I understand this site is that the owners are trying to avoid some of the things that go on over there. Such as the cliques that say Super Beetle's, suck or anything after 67 is crap and the famous Split vs Bay schism. And don't forget how some people were constantly beat down because they were new to ACVW's and the internet. Don't take it personal. From what you're saying your post didn't get deleted. I'll bet they were just trying to make sure everybody is on the same page.
Actually you hit it on the head in your second post were you say you were afraid to post over there and why is everybody so mean. I don't think anybody wants this to turn into that.

Maybe I'm wrong about this and some one else will have something to say.

:smt002 Bill

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:45 pm

busboy wrote: How can you call a forum "free speech" and limit it like you have here?

Lecture 1 (2.5 hours)
With Freedom Comes Responsibility

Your reply to Hazetguy was in the Type 4 classifieds. It did not respond to his offer, but launched into a judgment of his intention or motivation. As you saw, he had to defend his original intent.
If you were actually being humorous I missed it by a mile, try grabbing an emoticon or something.
busboy wrote: So far I have seen Colin threaten to delete one of my posts, encourage invitions to the split bus forum, only to split bus owners who "love" all types of A/C VW's and now this limited free speech forum.
I am careful with my choice of words. I did not threaten to delete your post, I gave you an option to edit it and an opportunity to delete it if you so desired. That is different than "threaten."
(many times I wished I could have deleted a post over on that other forum)

Can you tell the difference between these two examples?

A) Our esteemed Senator has submitted a bill that is absolutely wrong for this country and displays an utterly abject lack of comprehension if not indifference to his deleteriously affected constituents.

B) Our so-called Senator has proved once again that he is a bought and sold fat cat who hates America and consorts with lobbyist-supplied whores.

The first example I tried to make harsh, but it leaves the person alone as it deals with the topic at-hand.

The second example is full of innuendo, implication, character-assassination, and does not deal with the topic.

I hope we can stick to the first example here. It can be damn good and fun but it takes a little practice.
The second I have had to escape myself. It has no place here.
busboy wrote: I'm kinda new to this internet forum thingy, but...
What gives?
It will take a little practice. If anyone who reads this gets the two examples above, feel free to proselytize the message as it comes up. Part of the practicing thing.
If it took you by surprise that I would defend Hazetguy and invite anyone over here including the split forum members who were rather harsh, my motivation is to interact in a different way than that which we left.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

busboy
I'm New!

Post by busboy » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:49 pm

Amskeptic wrote: If it took you by surprise that I would defend Hazetguy and invite anyone over here including the split forum members who were rather harsh, my motivation is to interact in a different way than that which we left.
Colin
I hear ya, but it appeared that you encouraged the amish dude to use discrection in his invitations. I have seen "that" split bus forum and they generally don't take kindly to Bays. Heck, I've even heard 'em called gay windows and fat chicks. It appears that you don't want "that" kind of folk on this site.
Do I catch your drift?
I like 'em Bay!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:59 am

busboy wrote:
it appeared that you encouraged the amish dude to use discrection in his invitations. I have seen "that" split bus forum and they generally don't take kindly to Bays. Heck, I've even heard 'em called gay windows and fat chicks. It appears that you don't want "that" kind of folk on this site.
Do I catch your drift?
I used to work with kids. Pack behavior was no true indication of who they are as people. The pack mentality takes on its own energy.
My guess is that they are almost all good decent people. Some may find their way here and be excellent contributors. Piranhas will die of boredom if they don't get a chance to engage in frenzied feeding behavior.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:42 am

Amskeptic wrote: I used to work with kids. Pack behavior was no true indication of who they are as people. The pack mentality takes on its own energy.
My guess is that they are almost all good decent people. Some may find their way here and be excellent contributors. Piranhas will die of boredom if they don't get a chance to engage in frenzied feeding behavior.
Colin
Very very true Colin.