What IS a Republican? What IS a Democrat?

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

What IS a Republican? What IS a Democrat?

Post by Velokid1 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:20 am

I've heard a few of my republican friends say (particularly during the last 18 months or so) that "Bush isn't a true Republican and the current Democrats aren't true Democrats."

I don't completely get what they mean, but I find the question interesting.

What do YOU see as the defining characteristics of Republicans or Democrats?

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:36 am

I just hate that we really only have two choices. I am just glad that I am not one of those waterford gobbling, tweed jacket wearing twits that thinks that everyone is either a "democrat" or a "republican". So to give my opinion....I could give a rat's ass if someone says that they are one or the other...just please don't ask me because I truly could care less if my best friend is red or blue or purple or green or yellow or....

Must get more coffee :geek:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:59 am

I'm too young to know anything other than their current forms. And I think that is a good thing, no past ideal or evil for either party. Just recent behavior.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:26 am

Yes, having only two choices is a boondoggle in itself. It benefits the two parties concerned, even when they lose.

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:19 am

One of my buddies from Canada has a good take on all of the political parties, not necessarily their definition but more of where they lie in relation to one another. Either way with all the blurry lines out there it does make sense and puts it in perspective.

Right to left is how he explains it.

On the Far Right you have the Republicans.
Just to their left rubbing elbows are the Democrats.
Take a step or two further left and you run into our liberals.

Now take a couple big jumps further left, maybe even jog a bit and you run into Canadas most conservative party.
A few more steps left and then their democratic group followed way left in the deep end by their very own liberals.

:flower: ...................................................... :alien: ...... :king: ............................................ :hippy2: ............... :pirate: . :evil2:
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:55 pm

Harper's changing all that at an alarming rate, though. That guy's as bad as Bush. Hopefully the Canadian public are more discerning than Americans have been recently and will chuck that guy out the window next election.

My personal take (and this is a gross generalization, I admit):

If you care about social issues but you believe that a country's focus should be on the economy above all else... you're a Republican.

If you care about the economy but you believe that a country's focus should be on the people and on social issues above all else... you're a Republican.

If you care about everything and are willing to rethink your position as our conditions change and not walk lockstep with a fixed gaze just to prove loyalty to "your team"... you're a Human Being.

:geek:

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:28 pm

By the way, the above is just to get the discussion going. The purpose of this thread is for someone to teach ME what the hell Republican and Democrat mean in the classic sense, or what they originally meant.

Hell, the whole country is about Dem vs Republican... you'd think someone would know what the heck the words actually meant.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:55 pm

I thought one was just a blue donkey and the other was a red elephant :geek: (hmmm, how appropriate)

Well, the only useful tidbit I have is GOP=Grand Old Party....guess I should have paid more attention in history class.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:04 pm

We are living through some strange times so its a little hard to come up with a easy descriptor for either party. That said, the Republican party is traditionally defined by its desire to scale back the power and size of the federal government, with a greater focus on the Jeffersonian ideal of stronger and more autonomous state governments . Fiscally, Republicans are conservative, disliking both high taxes and high government expenditures. They feel that individuals through hard work and determination can acquire wealth on their own. They don't believe the government should provide services for those in need, but rather charitable organizations should. The Republican party is most closely associated with big business and works to scale back and prevent anything they see as detrimental the success of the owners of those businesses.

Democrats side more with the beliefs of John Adams. They believe in a strong central government and all the ensuing trappings thereof. Higher taxes are necessary to provide greater services to the citizenry. The role of government is to assist those in need. Traditionally, the Democratic Party represents the working class and their interests. Traditionally working class people have supported the Democratic Party.

That's it in a nutshell. I'm only trying to give a broad overview of the defined leanings of each party. Much of my description of the Republicans has now become historical. That is what your Republican friends meant, Velokid, when they said Bush wasn't a true Republican. Honestly, I haven't really seen much of a change in the Democrats except they are now the party of fiscal consevativism. It seems that Republicans find it easier to deal with the shortcomings of their own party by claiming that Democrats have changed as well.
I hope that helps.
-John
[edit: For what it's worth, I was a Democrat until Mike Dukakis lost to George H. W. Bush. I am now registered as Pacific Party, the Pacific NW arm of the Green Party. edit complete]
Keep it acoustic.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:40 am

Thank you, John. That was indeed very helpful.

Yes, I see now that the traditional values of the two parties have very little to do with what we know of the two parties today.

Republicans for autonomous state governments? See medical marijuana. Republicans disliking government expenditures? See the war. Etc.

I am surprised to find this thread so dead this morning.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:10 pm

LiveonJG wrote: The Republican party is most closely associated with big business and works to scale back and prevent anything they see as detrimental the success of the owners of those businesses.
Big Business has hijacked the Republican party. Individual pursuit of the American Dream has been trampled by very big business seeking government intervention for advantage in the marketplace. Big Business couldn't care less about self-reliance. Big Business is hostile to true Democratic ideals. Shit, Big Business doesn't need Democracy period! Look at what happens when people are elected democratically around the world and we happen not to like them because, God Forbid! they put their people in front of our profits?

I like the core Republican philosophy, but where is it in evidence?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:23 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Big Business is hostile to true Democratic ideals.
Colin
Big business left unchecked leads to fascism, pure and simple.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:28 pm

I invite Republicans and Democrats alike to battle the Corporate Oligarchy.
Campaign finance reform would be a good start.
Colin

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:24 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
LiveonJG wrote: The Republican party is most closely associated with big business and works to scale back and prevent anything they see as detrimental the success of the owners of those businesses.
Big Business has hijacked the Republican party. Individual pursuit of the American Dream has been trampled by very big business seeking government intervention for advantage in the marketplace. Big Business couldn't care less about self-reliance. Big Business is hostile to true Democratic ideals. Shit, Big Business doesn't need Democracy period! Look at what happens when people are elected democratically around the world and we happen not to like them because, God Forbid! they put their people in front of our profits?

I like the core Republican philosophy, but where is it in evidence?
Colin
All true, but I like to take it a step further, there is group of wealthy families that have been fooling the people in this country and the world for more than 50+ years...
Google Rothschild, google bohemian grove

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:54 am

spiffy wrote:I thought one was just a blue donkey and the other was a red elephant :geek: (hmmm, how appropriate)
There is a question being raised, might there be a pink elephant or two or three in the room? Grand Ol' Party all right, just keep them away from the valets. . .
Colin