What IS a Republican? What IS a Democrat?

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:07 am

The Republicans have fooled businessmen with their rhetoric for years. I used to have this argument with my late father in law. He owned a body shop and identified with the republicans as pro business. I used to argue that the republicans were actually pro LARGE business. His 30 man shop wasn't even a dot on their radar. It was and is still my belief that their agenda helped large business at the expense of the small business owner.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:27 am

I've spent years pointing that out to "rich" people, too. My mother works for an insurance company where her three partner bosses are very pro-Republican because Bushies and Ronnieheads "look out for us wealthy folks." But they each take home maybe $200K a year... Dubya and his cronies thumb their noses at anything under $1 million.

Funny how, just in general, the more money a person makes, the more stingy they are with their money and paranoid that others are coming after it. I've found the same to be true with guns... if a person owns just a single gun for sport or protection, they're usually pretty reasonable about it... but if they start collecting and really getting into gun culture... POOF! instant paranoia about how everyone's coming after them to take away their right to bear arms.

Uh-oh.... OT. Sorry.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:32 am

Velokid1 wrote: POOF! instant paranoia about how everyone's coming after them to take away their right to bear arms.

Uh-oh.... OT. Sorry.
I like the bumper sticker : Support Your Right To Arm Bears
OT? 8-[
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:47 am

I like that sticker idea.

Actually, the arms debate isn't OT at all. Because another thing the Republicans are known for, that is at the very least ironic and probably more accurately sinister, is their support of the NRA.

Which is ironic because if any political party or group is going to do away with out right to arm ourselves, it's going to be the (current incarnation of) the Republican party. You can bet your bottom dollar that if the Bush Cartel could push a button and instantly do away with the citizenry's right to bear arms, right to Free Speech and access to the internet, they'd push it in a heartbeat and fall asleep each night counting all the American Sheep.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:57 am

My Father was president of a medium sized transportation company. He had 600 employees. He was a tough man nicknamed bull dog by his employees. It may seem strange but He was very pro union even though he'd pitch a fight with the union officers with all he had. Once I asked him why since it seemed inconsistent. He felt you needed a system of checks & balances. The union kept him honest and he kept them honest. He believed that if the unions forced standards to be raised they were raised for all including management.

Once I got into a pro union - anti union argument with a guy that was an assistant manager at a movie theatre. He was spouting all this anti union retoric when he was lucky if they were paying him $1.00 more than the popcorn girl but there he was acting like he was like he was part of the CEOs management team.

Sorry I got off topic but it seemed like a Republican - Democrat subject at the time. Synapses are misfiring in this old brain all the time.

Pretty soon I'll be writing the Girl Scouts are bringing in Christmas Cards on Tuesday. Wait a minute, John those were your teeth? I swear they were in my cup. Do you think we're having Malt-O-Meal for lunch again? John those were your teeth? Do you think we're having Malt-O-Meal for lunch again?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:23 am

RussellK wrote:My Father believed you needed a system of checks & balances.
So did our Founding Fathers. Smart people.
Colin

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:32 am

The :cherry: Republicats! Now on Saturday morning cartoon hour.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:06 pm

RussellK wrote:Wait a minute, John those were your teeth? I swear they were in my cup. Do you think we're having Malt-O-Meal for lunch again? John those were your teeth? Do you think we're having Malt-O-Meal for lunch again?
That's right where I left them in your cup... thought it would be funny... lets see what old Russel does when he goes for a drink and sees me smiling back at him! Malt-O-Meal again? Now where the hell did I leave those teeth?
-John
Keep it acoustic.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:22 pm

LiveonJG wrote:Now where the hell did I leave those teeth?
Did someone say Alleve Goatee? You betcha! My wife has a beard because of pharmaceuticals, they screw up your metabolism or something. We had an old goat you know. Best damn Pontiac ever made. He was a chief. Speaking of teeth. . . . .
Colingoat