Check it out- Rumsfeld resigns

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

PDX_Hops
Getting Hooked!

Check it out- Rumsfeld resigns

Post by PDX_Hops » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:20 am

"Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, architect of an unpopular war in Iraq, has decided to resign after six stormy years at the Pentagon, President Bush said Wednesday."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington ... feld_x.htm

=D>
'76 Westy Weekender- "Fran"

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:37 am

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:32 pm Post subject:

So here's the leftie blog nightmare scenario--Rumsfeld resigns. Bush appoints Lieberman to take his place. The Republican governor of Connecticut appoints a Republican to take Lieberman's seat, leaving the Senate at 50-50 (assuming the Republicans don't find someway to wrest VA from Webb during the inevitable ugly recount).

I'm glad to see him go, but it still leaves the main architects of the Iraq disaster at the helm--Bush and his puppet master Cheney. And Cheney made it perfectly clear on ABC's Sunday talking heads show that--no matter how the election turned out--the administration would continue to fight the war in the way they saw fit. So, my guess is that Rumsfeld's falling on his sword is largely symbollic and makes him the convenient scapegoat du jour for the administration's failures but that nothing is really going to change.
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:05 pm

zblair wrote:
my guess is that Rumsfeld's falling on his sword is largely symbolic and makes him the convenient scapegoat du jour for the administration's failures but that nothing is really going to change.
Things are going to change.
Stay tuned for the Baker & Co. report.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:47 pm

WASHINGTON - Democrats won a cliffhanger race in Montana on Wednesday that took them to the brink of control of the Senate, after Americans sick of scandal and weary of war brought down the Republican House majority.WASHINGTON - Democrats won a cliffhanger race in Montana on Wednesday that took them to the brink of control of the Senate, after Americans sick of scandal and weary of war brought down the Republican House majority.WASHINGTON - Democrats won a cliffhanger race in Montana on Wednesday that took them to the brink of control of the Senate, after Americans sick of scandal and weary of war brought down the Republican House majority.WASHINGTON - Democrats won a cliffhanger race in Montana on Wednesday that took them to the brink of control of the Senate, after Americans sick of scandal and weary of war brought down the Republican House majority.WASHINGTON - Democrats won a cliffhanger race in Montana on Wednesday that took them to the brink of control of the Senate, after Americans sick of scandal and weary of war brought down the Republican House majority.WASHINGTON - Democrats won a cliffhanger race in Montana on Wednesday that took them to the brink of control of the Senate, after Americans sick of scandal and weary of war brought down the Republican House majority.WASHINGTON - Democrats won a cliffhanger race in Montana on Wednesday that took them to the brink of control of the Senate, after Americans sick of scandal and weary of war brought down the Republican House majority.WASHINGTON - Democrats won a cliffhanger race in Montana on Wednesday that took them to the brink of control of the Senate, after Americans sick of scandal and weary of war brought down the Republican House majority.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:58 pm

Thank God. Will we become saner now? Man I sure hope so...
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:55 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
zblair wrote:
my guess is that Rumsfeld's falling on his sword is largely symbolic and makes him the convenient scapegoat du jour for the administration's failures but that nothing is really going to change.
Things are going to change.
Stay tuned for the Baker & Co. report.
Colin
The Iraq Study Group
http://www.usip.org/isg/
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:05 pm

As for change, it's already begun. I heard about Field Marshall Von Rumsfeld's resignation this morning on the radio and nearly wrecked. A week ago we were all told by the pres that Rummy was in till the end. Now he's out. A good first step. I'm waiting for more to come. This has really given me hope, a sense that our experiment in democracy will weather yet another test. The system can still work but it takes the combined effort of its citizenry. Time will tell if this will truly be a turning point or just back to your regularly scheduled programming. (Its not called that by chance.)
-John
Keep it acoustic.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:47 pm

I was informed at the market today by a group of older ladies literally dancing with joy.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:11 am

I am still basking in a quiet relief.

I liked hearing that when Nancy Palosi was awakened yesterday morning by an aide, her first words were "did we have our baby?" regarding her daughter's pregnancy. "No, it is the President calling to congratulate you."
Colin

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:42 pm

Field Marshall Von Rumsfeld's
LOL... =D>
Thanks man, I just peed my pants.

I am glad he is gone as well.....but have you seen Robert Gates' ties???? Another F**cking Bush family cronie....ugh.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:53 pm

spiffy wrote:I am glad he is gone as well.....but have you seen Robert Gates' ties???? Another F**cking Bush family cronie....ugh.
We'll see how he does. So far the thing he's got going for him is that he's actually studied the situation in Iraq through James Baker's investigative committee. His affiliation is with the 1st Bush administration and at least they had the sense not to rush into Bagdad. Jeeze I can't believe I just said something good say about Bush I!
-John
Keep it acoustic.

twinfalls
IAC Addict!

Post by twinfalls » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:00 pm

My French weekly paper ( Le Canard Enchainé) says that: Bush fired Rumfeld the day next to his election disaster.
I must read this more in detail.
Fired or resignating ? May be that is the same.
The one, I'd love to see, sent to hell, is Condy.
1974 stock US Westy 1800cc PDSIT 34 2-3.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:23 pm

twinfalls wrote: The one, I'd love to see, sent to hell, is Condy.
Rummy's was a forced "resignation." Whether or not Bush called for it is immaterial, his daddy's men were clamoring for his head.

Condi is so bright and talented and stupid. And she does need to go. Her testimony about the threat from al Queda is treasonous. " Who knew they'd use air planes as weapons?" she asked wide-eyed. How about Clinton's team, who the Bushies treated with such contempt?
Colin

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:10 pm

It's also strange to see a Vice President with so much power.....
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat