Michael Franti

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Michael Franti

Post by DjEep » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:59 pm

Do you guys know who Michael Franti is? I just heard some of his new stuff today. If you don't know, he is a musician from San Francisco who travelled to Iraq with just a guitar and a small film crew. He wandered the streets well outside the "Green Zone," talking and singing and learning what it was actually like to live in war torn Iraq. Hear is a music video he made. They also sell the documentary he made and the CD he made on the website.

http://www.spearheadvibrations.com/pop2.html
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:01 pm

The guy is a modern day prophet. Seeing him live is a very moving experience. His mix of good music and spoken word is overwhelming. I generally don't put much credence in religion but he strikes me as a very holy man. His message of peace and acceptance hits home for me.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:18 pm

He practices in the practice studios a band I used to jam with used. Always a down to earth, good-vibe-emitting guy. He does a huge show every September in Golden Gate Park called "Power to the Peaceful." Everyone should go!

Have you heard the track "Yell Fire"? I heard it on the radio today and it inspired this post.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:35 pm

I know that one, good tune, good message. My fave is Everyone Deserves Music. I taped his show the first time I saw him. It was right after he got back from Iraq. It was awesome, he has such a powerful truly righteous (not self-righteous) presence. I was in awe the whole show. He didn't even take a set break it was just one long sweet night of music. Wow.
-John
BTW, what do you play? Bass here.
Keep it acoustic.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:53 pm

Nothing really, just a DJ. I worked with a metal band for a few, just doing some samplework, but the band crumbled before it got anywhere, like any good metal band should.
:headbang:

I also play guitar badly...

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:58 pm

Isn't he the front man for Spearhead? I went to see Xavier Rudd open for them downtown PDX a couple years ago. It was a great show even though Xavier had to cancel. I was surprised to see the large amount of children at the show. Franti seems to have a pretty strong following. He's got one killer set of dreads too.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:18 pm

Formerly of Disposable Heroes Of HipHoprisy. One of the greatest Hip Hop bands ever. Who else could get Jello Biafra to appear in a Hip Hop version of California Uber Alles as MC Jell-Jell Kool-O B. Afro. Also performed a Hip Hop song with Fugazi!

I haven't heard spearhead or his solo stuff. I'll definitely check it out though.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

slowtwitch
I'm New!

Post by slowtwitch » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:45 am

An WXPN favorite, here in Philly =D>

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:10 am

I need to head to Ameoba to get the documentary.

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:29 am

Isn't he the front man for Spearhead?
I believe that's true.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:22 pm

DjEep, Just had a chance to watch your link to Michael Franti and was very impressed and will look for cd ~~~ is there one you would recommend? This is my kind of music , besides blues, jazz ,old rock, gershwin, cole porter ect ect ect !!!! Music washes away from the soul, the dust of every day life!!! and I have a very dusty soul of late~ Thanks for the recommendation :cheers: Barb

ps Hope to see you at Arrora Seco

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:28 am

I like Stay Human, and the live stuff. I've mostly heard live stuff. Most of his stuff is more reggae than that vid.

PS, hope to make it there... :flower:

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:17 pm

DjEep wrote:I like Stay Human, and the live stuff. I've mostly heard live stuff. Most of his stuff is more reggae than that vid.

PS, hope to make it there... :flower:
Yeah, Spearhead has a heavy reggae sound. Good stuff.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.