Voter Registration- Not Right - Election UPDATE - 11/7/06!

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Voter Registration- Not Right - Election UPDATE - 11/7/06!

Post by Sluggo » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:08 pm

I registered to vote through the California Secretary of State website. Supposedly, if you do it electronically it's faster and there is less chance of error. It turns out it's about two weeks slower. All they do is fill out the form for you and mail it to you to sign and return. It's the same form you can fill out on your own and save the two weeks they take to mail it to you.

And, it came very flawed. They tell you not to leave the text boxes and not to go outside the bubbles to insure a correct reading. Mine (the one they filled out by computer to insure there is no error) had every single letter of my info printed overlapping two boxes. All dots were filled in way outside the lines.

I signed it and returned it because I can't double register. We'll see if I get to vote. Last election they misspelled my name. I called them and tehy said they changed it in the comp and to just go vote. When I got to the polling office, I was instantly hassled about the fact that my ID and registration did not match. They had me vote and put my vote on a pending list that was probably never counted. I smell another scam.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:48 pm

Step away from the chad.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:04 pm

Dumb question, but why did you wait until now to get registered? Apathy is a terrible thing. I still believe that every vote counts... at least in theory :-k
-John
Keep it acoustic.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:02 pm

LiveonJG wrote:Dumb question, but why did you wait until now to get registered? Apathy is a terrible thing. I still believe that every vote counts... at least in theory :-k
-John
I had to re-register because I moved 2 months ago. I registered via internet on the 1st (plenty of time if the Secretary of States website wasn't full of crap). I just didn't have time to bitch about it till today.

Apathy is a terrible thing. Especially when it comes to voting & politics. I no longer believe that every vote counts. But I do believe that If you don't vote, you have no right to bitch about who gets elected or which laws get passed.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!

Post by LiveonJG » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:08 pm

Every vote... that's why I added the in theory.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:22 pm

I moved recently my self and it took about 5 minutes to register at town hall. They never asked for ID :cyclopsani:

Bill

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:40 pm

vdubyah73 wrote:I moved recently my self and it took about 5 minutes to register at town hall. They never asked for ID :cyclopsani:

Bill
I will be cold-calling my precinct on Election Day, hope they find me in their records.
I don't think there are 1,780 people with my name thrown off the rolls because of some one's felony.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:59 pm

Apathy is a terrible thing. Especially when it comes to voting & politics.
...maybe Apathy is a result of the lack of quality amongst the choices.

last time i even thought about voting..was for Ross Perot ! hey, at least he was funny !
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!

Post by LiveonJG » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:17 pm

dingo wrote:...maybe Apathy is a result of the lack of quality amongst the choices.
I agree, but if you abandon the process and stop participating, you leave the decision to a smaller and smaller percentage of the population. Just look where that's got us.

Ross Perot was a Ferengi.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:34 pm

Sluggo that is a really sad story and I hope you insist it gets righted before our election. Please don,t become like too many others and get put off by the hassle and dont vote at all. We have the bad guys scared and doing all they can to keep us away from the polls. We all know something is terrible wrong in our country so we must vote for a change. Good luck and taking the time to make your VOTE COUNT :cheers: Your son will be proud sooner than you can imagine. :king:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:09 am

Elwood wrote:We all know something is terrible wrong in our country so we must vote for a change.
Tell it, sister =D>

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:57 pm

LiveonJG wrote:
dingo wrote:...maybe Apathy is a result of the lack of quality amongst the choices.
I agree, but if you abandon the process and stop participating, you leave the decision to a smaller and smaller percentage of the population. Just look where that's got us.

Ross Perot was a Ferengi.
-John
At least a Ferengi is honest about his goals.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!

Post by LiveonJG » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:47 pm

I did not imply either good or bad.
ImageImage
-John
Keep it acoustic.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:49 pm

dingo wrote:
Apathy is a terrible thing. Especially when it comes to voting & politics.
...maybe Apathy is a result of the lack of quality amongst the choices.

last time i even thought about voting..was for Ross Perot ! hey, at least he was funny !

Maybe Apathy is a result of the lack of quality in our choices.

"I voted for X because at least he was X"

You want quality choices? Make your criteria based on an informed comparison of their platforms and professional qualifications. Then pollsters may be less likely to compare candidates based on their affability and hairdo.
Colin

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!

Post by LiveonJG » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:50 pm

Amskeptic wrote:You want quality choices? Make your criteria based on an informed comparison of their platforms and professional qualifications. Then pollsters may be less likely to compare candidates based on their affability and hairdo.
Colin
Right on Colin. Two years ago I actually had someone say to me that they couldn't vote for John Kerry because they didn't want to see his hair for the next four years. Can you frikken believe that!?!?!? My God voting based on if someone is funny or down home or cute because they stumble over their words is NO basis for a system of government. Then again politics has become such a meat grinder that quality candidates are few and far between. Who in their right mind would put themselves and their families through that bullshit? And don't forget the money issue. Campaigns are now so prohibitively expensive that they've become the playground for the wealthy and their pawns.
We need to start with meaningful campaign finance reform. We have a ballot initiative here in Oregon that's a step in the right direction. I hope it passes.
Most importantly, we need to be educated before we vote and choose our leaders based on issues that really matter, neither anti-flag burning nor anti-gay marriage qualify there. How about rebuilding our country's manufacturing base, seeing that people can find meaningful employment at a wage that doesn’t doom they and their families to perpetual poverty? These are the true moral issues of our time.
Maintaining a democratic government takes responsibility and hard work.

-John
Keep it acoustic.