Voter Registration- Not Right - Election UPDATE - 11/7/06!

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:22 pm

Make your criteria based on an informed comparison of their platforms and professional qualifications.
Platforms ?? Politicians live in the pockets of the lobbyists, who act on behalf of corporations, foreign governments, syndicates..anyone with cash. The economy drives the government in whatever direction..voting process is just a sidewshow to distract the masses
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:38 pm

I saw Man of the Year Friday night. One of the points made there was that he (Robin Williams) didn't buy media advertising.

Could you imagine what an election would be like without all the smear commercials on TV? If the candidates all had to stump for votes?

I'd love it!

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:53 pm

I'm with you Duroc, CBS sunday morning had nothing but smear campaign ads going throughout the show....I was thinking..."god damn, let me wake up first before I have to be put through this BS!!"
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:43 am

Anywaaaaays........
LiveonJG wrote: Two years ago I actually had someone say to me that they couldn't vote for John Kerry because they didn't want to see his hair for the next four years. Can you frikken believe that!?!?!?
It never fails, every election cycle there is at least one letter printed in the SF Chronicle from somebody who "Appreciates the Chron's ballot recommendations" so they can "Vote the exact opposite." While I don't recommend blindly following a newspaper editortorial boards picks, that is just a ridiculous way to approach voting.
Most importantly, we need to be educated before we vote and choose our leaders based on issues that really matter, neither anti-flag burning nor anti-gay marriage qualify there. How about rebuilding our country's manufacturing base, seeing that people can find meaningful employment at a wage that doesn’t doom they and their families to perpetual poverty? These are the true moral issues of our time.
Maintaining a democratic government takes responsibility and hard work.
-John
=D> =D> =D>
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:42 am

dingo wrote:
Make your criteria based on an informed comparison of their platforms and professional qualifications.
Platforms ?? Politicians live in the pockets of the lobbyists, who act on behalf of corporations, foreign governments, syndicates..anyone with cash. The economy drives the government in whatever direction..voting process is just a sidewshow to distract the masses
Many politicians may live in the pockets of the Corporate Oligarchy, but the process is still salvageable. I hope we avail ourselves of this opportunity coming up to issue a stinging rebuke to the insular world of power and greed.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:29 am

hope we avail ourselves of this opportunity coming up to issue a stinging rebuke to the insular world of power and greed
it seems like its easier to rally people to vote or to action when there is an 'enemy' or something/someone to vote against. But the raw issues themselves are far too complex,layered and murky to be even close to being within reach of the average voter.

Id say people would feel more empowered dealing with issues close to home that they can relate to directly instead of voting on broad political issues that have been way oversimplified for public digestion.

..need more coffee..
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:33 am

dingo wrote:
hope we avail ourselves of this opportunity coming up to issue a stinging rebuke to the insular world of power and greed
it seems like its easier to rally people to vote or to action when there is an 'enemy' or something/someone to vote against. But the raw issues themselves are far too complex,layered and murky to be even close to being within reach of the average voter.

Id say people would feel more empowered dealing with issues close to home that they can relate to directly instead of voting on broad political issues that have been way oversimplified for public digestion.

..need more coffee..
I agree. Voting "against" is easier.
I agree. Broad issues are more difficult. But it is time for us to look at the greater world. It is getting more crowded and we need to learn how to share.
I agree. I need another cup too.
Colin

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:32 pm

I just got off the phone with my County Registrar concerning why I haven't received my voter registration card. She said my form had been put into "Fatal Mode". But not to worry because she just cleared it up and I can vote. I will be put on a pending list and then my vote will be counted once I am verified. Why was I put into "Fatal Mode"? "It just happens sometimes" was the response. Why wasn't I notified? "Because it wasn't your problem". But if I can't vote, that is my problem. And a very big one. "I guess you're right. But that's just the way it's handled. Don't worry, you can vote".

This is almost exactly what happened last time. Except then I was listed as Bandy not Randy. When I called to clear it up they said "No Problem" and when I voted there was a problem.

This is complete & total BULLSHIT!
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:53 pm

Obtain an issue of the L.A. Times. Look up the name of the Op/Ed editor.

Call the Registrar. Ask who she answers to. Then call her supervisor. Explain your pattern of "errors." Name drop the op-ed editor at the L.A. Times. Mumble something about " I can't believe this, I actually do have a story, I'm gonna be published."

What the hell.
Colin :cherry:

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:34 pm

When I went to vote today, my name was not on the list. What a surprise. I had to fill out a provisional ballot and if I get approved it will be counted later. At least that's what I'm told. Who the hell knows. But at least we are rid of Arnie!

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:31 am

Sluggo wrote: But at least we are rid of Arnie!
Check again. Sorry about you voting hassels.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:58 am

LiveonJG wrote:
Sluggo wrote: But at least we are rid of Arnie!
Check again. Sorry about you voting hassels.
-John
Damn CNN Predictions. I was watching about an hour ago and got the bad news. Oh well. Why do people keep electing this guy?

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:25 am

Because he inhaled and didn't lie about it.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:33 am

The registration here in CO was easy. And with a last name like mine I'm surprised... ;)

CO uses a "Motor Votor" system. You register by checking a box on your vehicle registration form and filling in your party affiliation. I, as usual, registered as "independant". What does that mean? Mountains of junk mail!

Anyway, CO did an early voting system. For the past 2 weeks you could go vote. Or vote last night as my idiot wife did (and she wonders why she was there for 3 hours.)

My only real complaint: In CA you get a booklet with all the proposed bills, some debate from for and against, and an accountant's summary of costs. Nothing like that here in CO. I had to go find the info on the various bills. That was like real work.

Oh, and you're not locked into any specific polling place. In CO you can go to any in your county. That rocks.

The electronic voting machines didn't have the touch screens that caused so much confusion when they became uncalibrated. Trackballs! I'm serious! Bizarre.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:28 pm

Sluggo wrote:Why do people keep electing this guy?
I think he projects a tough guy image. It's seems to be something people find comforting. I don't really know what the appeal is, he has a likeable public persona. These things boil down to charisma, and he's got that, no doubt about it. Besides, who'd even think about pushing this guy around?
I'm just glad he's not my Governor!
-John
Keep it acoustic.