Diplomacy lost in Iran

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Diplomacy lost in Iran

Post by hambone » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:17 pm

This is from the BBC. I didn't know of this. Wow, a chance for peace, lost by the fools....

Surprise overture

Another potential opening came in May 2003.
America's swift march to Baghdad the previous month had led to fears in Tehran that it would be next.
So Tehran made a dramatic - but surprisingly little known - approach to the Americans.

Iran's offer came in the form of a letter, although Iranian diplomats have suggested that their letter was in turn a response to a set of talking points that had come from US intermediaries.
In it, Iran appeared willing to put everything on the table - including being completely open about its nuclear programme, helping to stabilise Iraq, ending its support for Palestinian militant groups and help in disarming Hezbollah.

"I believe the nuclear issue could have been resolved long time ago"
Javad Zarif, Iran ambassador

What did Iran want? Top of the list was a halt in US hostile behaviour and a statement that "Iran did not belong to 'the axis of evil'".
The letter was the product of an internal debate inside Tehran and had the support of leaders at the highest level.
"That letter went to the Americans to say that we are ready to talk, we are ready to address our issues," explains Seyed Adeli, who was then a deputy foreign minister in Iran. But in Washington, the letter was ignored.

Larry Wilkerson, who was then chief of staff to US Secretary of State Colin Powell, thinks that was a big mistake.
"In my mind it was one of those things you throw up in the air and say I can't believe we did this."
He says the hardliners who stood against dialogue had a memorable refrain. "We don't speak to evil'.
The problem was that at the very moment that Iranian vulnerability was at its greatest, thanks to America's swift march to Baghdad, Washington was at its most triumphalist.
Why talk to Iran when you could simply dictate terms from a position of strength?

Gift to the hardliners

The effect of America's rejection of talks was far reaching.
It would tilt the balance of power within Tehran towards the hardliners.
"The failure is not just for the idea, but also for the group who were pursuing the idea," explains Seyed Adeli.
Over the following years, the hardliners in Tehran who were far less supportive of dialogue moved into the ascendancy. And the balance of power between Iran and the US began to shift.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:58 pm

Yeah,,,The things we have been doing don't seem to make sense.,UNLESS,,,,,,There agenda is to Control, Dominate and get Rich.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:46 pm

History is rife with huge opportunities wasted by little people.
Such as those wasted by our little Administration with its puny comprehension.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:55 pm

Those "little people" aren't worried about long term planning and global good. The games they play revolve around favors to friends and accruing wealth. They are winning the game they want to win.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:06 am

chitwnvw wrote:Those "little people" aren't worried about long term planning and global good. The games they play revolve around favors to friends and accruing wealth. They are winning the game they want to win.
You got that right.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:35 am

:banghead:
More of the same...
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:34 pm

This is further proof that what the Bush administration is after isn’t Peace. All accounts show the situation in Iraq is deteriorating by the day. Civilian and military deaths continue to increase, yet Bush et al continue to tell us everything is going great. Either they are totally oblivious to reality or from their perspective everything is going great. It's not about a holy war or the rapture, it's about maintaining power and increasing profits. War profiteering in Iraq is a big business with lots of money to be made. With that in mind, why wouldn't we want to stay the course?
-John
Keep it acoustic.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:34 pm

I told myself not to hold my breath waiting for the results of the upcoming congressional elections. . . . . I am holding my breath.
We have got to stop this juggernaut of incompetency.
Colin

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:31 pm

Amskeptic wrote:juggernaut of incompetency.
Quite an accurate description.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:37 pm

Let's quit preaching to the choir and go out and kick some republican butt! Can each of us approach 2 fence sitters?

hambone

Post by hambone » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:30 am

Sadly, I haven't run into too many fence sitters, everybody seems very polarized these days.
We need another "movement".....I can't believe how full circle things have gone, now that we're back in 1952, Part II.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:35 am

hambone wrote:I can't believe how full circle things have gone, now that we're back in 1952, Part II.
And those, those new hippie kids with their new long hair, we're going to hell in a handbasket.

Yeah, we have a Red Scare right now called "terrorism"
Colin

hambone

Post by hambone » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:08 am

I'm in a Forest Ecology class right now, and the teacher says that enrollment is really down with these type of classes.
In the woods, walking recreation is down too, boats and ATV use is way up. The US Forest Service no longer repairs hiking trails, they are either abandoned or fixed up by volunteers (which I am one).
The last "glory days" of nature appreciation was in the mid 70s. That must change. The hogs are starting to get under my skin...used to be just the Yuppies with their shallow reality, now the line to the slopbucket seems to stretch around the block. I don't WANT to keep up with the Joneses. I don't WANT cable TV. I don't WANT a cellular phone. I don't WANT an automatic dishwasher. I WANT to get off my own fat ass and be self sufficient as much as possible.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:06 pm

hambone wrote:I don't WANT a cellular phone.
Cell phones are great if for Vdubbers though!
"Honey...? I'm on the side of Hiway 1. Can you bring me the spare clutch cable I left in your bus?"

hambone

Post by hambone » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:15 pm

At what cost?