Climate Change

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Climate Change

Post by hambone » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:41 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5408798.stm

You know, this really pisses me off. Why should there be a gap between science and politics, why are people with close ties to the oil industry advising on climate? Do you want Hitler to run Israel? We have more scientists than anywhere on earth, we are the richest and most powerful nation, we KNOW what to do, but those assholes now in charge just want to do what's best for themselves and their cronies. Fucking unbelieveable, they're leaving a big pot of shit for future generations all for greed.
We are fast losing any credibility as a nation. We are only protected by our nukes and weapons of war and soon to be thousand mile fences. The world keeps getting smaller and smaller, this type of self serving attitude simply will not do if we are to survive as a nation.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Climate Change

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:16 pm

hambone wrote: The world keeps getting smaller and smaller, this type of self serving attitude simply will not do if we are to survive as a nation.
As I see it, the current cabal utilized what Reagan's gang learned and what Lee Atwater/Karl Rove then tuned to great effect.
Don't ask people to look towards their greater selves, merely ask them to make decisions based on their own narrow world.
"Are you better off?" is their rallying cry.
Then shit on anyone who asks the larger questions.
So we have become a nation of self-centered pleasure-seekers.
We are better than that.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone

Post by hambone » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:24 pm

Winston Smith said "the only hope is with the Proles"
But after spending time amongst them, he quickly found them to be a lost cause, only focusing on the 10 sq inches in front of their faces...
I remember reading an underground comic from the 60s about the "revolution", where a young idealist went to work in a factory to unite with his downtrodden bretheren, only to be told "get a haircut ya fuckin hippy"...his conclusion was that the "revolution" can only be begun when someone educates the proletariat.
What if they don't want to be educated? What if the iron grip of mass media stupidity and fear has made a culture of comfortable zombies?
I don't want to be in a position to judge anyone, far be it from me, but what can be done?????????? Ya gotta believe that everyone has a bit of God glowing inside, waiting to be activated. Pointing out faults certainly won't achieve that. Meanwhile, Rome is starting to smolder an fizzz.....

hambone

Post by hambone » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:05 am

I can't believe dat noneayouse bigmouths got somethin ta say about this...

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:09 pm

Get a haircut. . . . "Lost" is on. Hey get me a beer willya?
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:17 pm

If American citizens have gotten stupid to the extent that they are unable to process the nefarious deeds of the ruling elite, then we have a democracy in trouble. If it crumbles, it crumbles. Then we have to see what to rebuild. Life on Earth has had many epochs. We are more transient than we think. Biologically as well as politically.

Keep communicating with a broad swath of people. I just bent the ear of this Vietnamese inn-keeper here in Texas regarding their old governor and his obligation to vote, he was laughing and looking around as if in fear of a redneck coming in and tearing our heads off. Maybe it will convince him to think hard about his vote.
Colin

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:40 pm

We are more transient than we think. Biologically as well as politically.
....Itinerants of Time and Space...
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:48 am

Amskeptic wrote:If American citizens have gotten stupid to the extent that they are unable to process the nefarious deeds of the ruling elite, then we have a democracy in trouble. If it crumbles, it crumbles. Then we have to see what to rebuild. Life on Earth has had many epochs. We are more transient than we think. Biologically as well as politically.
Finally! Someone put my feelings into words! I do not fear death, I do not fear the crumbling of society. It has all happened countless times before I was here and the only difference is that, the fact that I am here. I think society is overdue for some crumbling. We have surpassed the level of sustainability and the only way to go is down...

Although I doubt this is what you were getting at Colin,
to quote maynard j. keenan:

Some say the end is near. Some say we'll see armageddon soon. I certainly hope we will. I sure could use a vacation from this bullshit three ring circus sideshow of Freaks here in this hopeless fucking hole we call LA The only way to fix it is to flush it all away. Any fucking time. Any fucking day. Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay. Fret for your figure and Fret for your latte and Fret for your hairpiece and Fret for your lawsuit and Fret for your prozac and Fret for your pilot and Fret for your contract and Fret for your car. It's a bullshit three ring circus sideshow of freaks here in this hopeless fucking hole we call LA The only way to fix it is to flush it all away. Any fucking time. Any fucking day. Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay. Some say a comet will fall from the sky. Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves. Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still. Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshits. Some say the end is near. Some say we'll see armageddon soon. I certainly hope we will cuz I sure could use a vacation from this Silly shit, stupid shit... One great big festering neon distraction, I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied. Learn to swim. Mom's gonna fix it all soon. Mom's comin' round to put it back the way it ought to be. Learn to swim. Fuck L Ron Hubbard and Fuck all his clones. Fuck all those gun-toting Hip gangster wannabes. Learn to swim. Fuck retro anything. Fuck your tattoos. Fuck all you junkies and Fuck your short memory. Learn to swim. Fuck smiley glad-hands With hidden agendas. Fuck these dysfunctional, Insecure actresses. Learn to swim. Cuz I'm praying for rain and I'm praying for tidal waves I wanna see the ground give way. I wanna watch it all go down. Mom please flush it all away. I wanna watch it go right in and down. I wanna watch it go right in. Watch you flush it all away. Time to bring it down again. Don't just call me pessimist. Try and read between the lines. I can't imagine why you wouldn't Welcome any change, my friend. I wanna see it all come down. suck it down. flush it down.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:10 am

Quoting MJK, a man after my own heart. Heh heh.

The climate crisis transcends, IMO, any consideration of democracy or freedom or politics. It's a human issue and it's about overpopulation, shortsightedness, and fear of change.

It is a problem that is 20x as pressing as the avian flu, or the War in Iraq, or crystal meth. Overpopulation is the cause of all of those symptoms and climate change looks like it will be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Pulling out of Iraq (or not) seems like SUCH a HUGE deal to anyone who cares... but the truth is that halting or reversing the sickness we are causing our planet is an infinitely tougher nut to crack.

This is THE test of what the human animal is made up of, on every level.

I, for one, absolutely welcome change and I will gladly put my money where my mouth is and sacrifice whatever I need to sacrifice to make my "carbon footprint" small enough that Mother Nature can absorb any of my negative impacts on her.

I say bring it on. Change is good.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:21 am

Velokid1 wrote:The climate crisis transcends, IMO, any consideration of democracy or freedom or politics. It's a human issue and it's about overpopulation, shortsightedness, and fear of change.

I, for one, absolutely welcome change and I will gladly put my money where my mouth is and sacrifice whatever I need to sacrifice to make my "carbon footprint" small enough that Mother Nature can absorb any of my negative impacts on her.

I say bring it on. Change is good.
I take solace in the fact that earth has survived way worse than man. We can kill ourselves and take a lot with us, but Mother Nature always wins in the end.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

hambone

Post by hambone » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:25 am

It's all a plastic-arrangement of particles.....
Back to the soup! Flowers to dirt!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:39 pm

I do love the metaphysics that undergird our entire reality, I love how all matter is energy, I love how time and space become immeasurable as you go towards micro/macroscopic, but I am not going down saying, "Fuck it, bring it on."

I may very well choose to be one of those playing the violin as the Titanic goes down. I am loyal to our civilization. I do think we have the potential to make something of this current construction of society. My responsibility is to be human until my last breath. If it is in a post-apocalyptic world, I will still endeavor to wake up happy and try to find a way to make a decent container of coffee. . . and share it.
Colin
DAMMIT! This coffee is weak! What the hell is the matter with these idiots here at Starbucks? I paid a dollar sixty eight! The least they could do is make a fucking decent cup of coffee!

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:32 pm

Amskeptic wrote: DAMMIT! This coffee is weak! What the hell is the matter with these idiots here at Starbucks? I paid a dollar sixty eight! The least they could do is make a fucking decent cup of coffee!
But at least they shared with ya. :drunken:

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:54 pm

DAMMIT! This coffee is weak! What the hell is the matter with these idiots here at Starbucks? I paid a dollar sixty eight! The least they could do is make a fucking decent cup of coffee!
hahaha ! i say that just about every morning...but the need for ANY kind of coffee that early in the day usually outweighs my disgust for Starbucks half-assed coffee. I know they can do it, because once in a while, they get it right and it tastes half-decent...but thats about 1 in 10.
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:04 pm

Amskeptic wrote:I do love the metaphysics that undergird our entire reality, I love how all matter is energy, I love how time and space become immeasurable as you go towards micro/macroscopic,
I love that we were all once atoms in a star. A star that exploded in such a spectacular fashion that it created heavier elements. I look at my arm and think, "You were once part of a star, maybe 5 or 10 billion years ago!"

It matters little what we do here. We are a speck circling a nothing special star, in a sea of stars that make up our galaxy in a sea of galaxies. Who cares. Do what you think is right. Enjoy yourself.