Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:44 am

http://www.elburn.il.us/
I've been there before, years ago when I used to go watch trains go by. That's pretty far out to be a suburb, pretty crazy. I remember a nice park in La Fox right by the train tracks.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:31 am

hambone wrote:That's very sad, but not terribly surprising. Sooner or later this whole prohibition nonsense will have to end, once people come out of their spider holes. It's pretty low on the cop-o-meter adjenda up here, as you know. I just don't know what to make of it all anymore...Woodstock and all that was almost 40 years ago!!! What the hell..
You're pretty well travelled! Had no idea. Of course I don't know much about ya. Yeah, the job market here sucks unless you're a MBA yupster with a trust fund, they seem to thrive. But all that glorious wet wilderness I do dig. What's it like living in LA? I hear good things about the arts and culture down there, bad things about the freeways/smog/crime/glam...I guess any big city has so much give and take.
L.A. Pretty much sucks. There's a lot to do. But that's about it. People are angry and defensive. Housing is outrageous ($1695 a month for a 2 bedroom apt.). Traffic sucks. My Wife used to work at Arclight and it would take 30 minutes to drive 3 miles to pick her up.

I was telling Colin that in Seattle & Portland we would just go for a walk and make a friend. In L.A. if you just start talking to somebody they wanna know what your motives are. Or they just think you're crazy. We have friends. But it's so spread out here that you have to plan half a day around travel just to go see a buddy.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

hambone

Post by hambone » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:45 am

That's how it is in Big Cities, that whole urban jungle thing. You really do need to watch your back in those places..I had to learn the hard way. It's really crazy, if it's not bolted down it's considered public property, what the hell??? I'm sure hardcore drugs are a big part of it, or just plain old desperation. Cities are great when yer young and are able to bounce back quickly, but I wonder how older people do? They almost seem immune to it, maybe they get really tough skin.
Well, you're in the music business so LA is the place to be.
Is there any of LA left from the 20s-30s, like that movie "Chinatown"? That was one thing I really loved about Chicago, that whole sense of history accidentally preserved through old buildings, neighborhoods, cultures. Fabulous in SPITE of itself, when all the greedy people running the show would tear it all down if they could make a buck...
When I was young I loved the Big City. Nowadays I just want a different sort of connection, one of more of a natural sense...people and their creations are only so interesting, compared to a thousand years old habitat. But we are social creatures, so it's always a compromise.

nakedfrog
Getting Hooked!

Post by nakedfrog » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:21 pm

mattg wrote:I love smoking out midwesterners

Hey, man the midwest is underrated...When I lived in Madison, Wi the sticky was all around - in the midwest you just have to look a little harder but it is here - it is all around.
It's the same way around Omaha, if you know the right folks you can get a good supply at a decent price.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." - Ford Prefect

hambone

Post by hambone » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:28 pm

In Galena Ill. I once filled the entire area under the back seat of a Beetle with wild growing weed. It smelled skunky as hell, couldn't wait to get it home an dry it out.
It was like smokin rubber. Took 2 j's for a slight weird buzz. So sad.
What would happen if folks did a Johnny Appleseed gig with their seeds, all over the place? It would be impossible to eradicate...especially in an urban area.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:34 pm

hambone wrote:What would happen if folks did a Johnny Appleseed gig with their seeds, all over the place? It would be impossible to eradicate...especially in an urban area.
I used to do that in Seattle. Threw them all around Volunteer & Gasworks Park. And all over Capitol hill. Sometimes I would see a little plant sprout but usually nothing happened.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

hambone

Post by hambone » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:38 pm

That's interesting. I guess they're pretty well specialized for a tropical habitat...the NW must be too damn cold and wet/hot and dry for them to thrive without assitance. It's a big country though, I'm sure the South has ample habitat! Or maybe they already know down there...

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:12 pm

On a camping trip to Wheeling Mountain in WV we found wild hemp growing all through this virgin forest. Not smokeable at all though.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:15 am

I figure I'd Bump this thread with this little story: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15145917/

Marijuana may help stave off Alzheimer’s
Active ingredient in pot may help preserve brain function

New research shows that the active ingredient in marijuana may prevent the progression of the disease by preserving levels of an important neurotransmitter that allows the brain to function.
Researchers at the Scripps Research Institute in California found that marijuana’s active ingredient, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, can prevent the neurotransmitter acetylcholine from breaking down more effectively than commercially marketed drugs.
THC is also more effective at blocking clumps of protein that can inhibit memory and cognition in Alzheimer’s patients, the researchers reported in the journal Molecular Pharmaceutics.
The researchers said their discovery could lead to more effective drug treatment for Alzheimer’s, the leading cause of dementia among the elderly.
Those afflicted with Alzheimer’s suffer from memory loss, impaired decision-making, and diminished language and movement skills. The ultimate cause of the disease is unknown, though it is believed to be hereditary.
Marijuana is used to relieve glaucoma and can help reduce side effects from cancer and AIDS treatment.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:16 am

Hawaii - need I say more...mmm
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:04 am

Anybody see the thread at TS about "probable cause"? It's funny how many VW people hate being suspected of Hippidom.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:28 am

Sluggo~ The odometer can be reset??!!?? Poof! There goes another one of my misconceptions blown outta the water! No wonder the Hatian woman trying to con me into selling her my westy made some wise-guy remarks about the odometer. Hey, I have the service records to prove it!
BTW, I've been working on a mental list of campgrounds near LA since you made the request elsewhere. No, they are not KOA. Write me.

The clock built into my stove is stuck at 4:20. I always thought that time of day looks insignificant when the hands overlap on the clock.

Wild hemp is the bane of seedless bud gardeners. Sounds like a nice dream, but the wild stuff is good mainly for rope, and ruining medicinal crops. Legalization of fiber hemp cultivation has the potential to ruin the medicinal crops. Think about it. Pollen cannot be controlled. Bye bye seedless flowers.
71 bus, 74 westy

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:14 am

Birdibus wrote:Legalization of fiber hemp cultivation has the potential to ruin the medicinal crops. Think about it. Pollen cannot be controlled. Bye bye seedless flowers.
Two words:

"In-Door" :weedman:

with hepa filters on the air intakes.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:07 pm

Could set it up in your engine compartment.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:36 pm

Ever tryed one of these?
Works wonders and, as a bonus, makes it taste like nice Cascade hops in a good IPA when the bowl gets down to the nitty gritty.