The Changing Samba, and Colin's Departure

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Do you feel the samba has had a significant change in the last few months?

Yes
33%
Yes
33%
No
15%
No
15%
Have not noticed
2%
Have not noticed
2%

Total votes: 52

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:08 pm

I just found this site yesterday thanks to a tip from dingo, I haven't had much luck finding help on the samba in the last week, since i woke up hungover and partied out on a monday morning and, with my already irritated mood got sucked into the fray... don't know if it's personal or if it's a coincidence...

Anyways... I've been bussing for almost a year now and all i can say is that i love volks, all volks, and a lot of volks folks. I am here to learn and pass on knowledge and if i say anything to offend anyone, i am just joking! I don't take much of anything seriously... (except finding out where that damn leftover nut goes!)
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:59 pm

I do think the mood of the site is changing. There are ALOT of posts and history over there and alot of new people which is great. It does feel though as if the number of legit answers I used to get has been in a slow decline and that there are a number of really harsh users in the forums lately. last PM I got was and entire page of these: :smt098

I think some of what is happening is due to this growth and its difficult to say where it's going to end up. I'd hate to see it turn into one of the many continuous ranting forums, but that's about what it is lately.

I made a post the other day and got nothing but crap about it. I do like the smaller feel of this forum right now, i kind of like getting replies with more meat on them if you know what I mean. I like contributions from everyone, but really, if you have no clue what to say or write, don't waste more space by writing a useless one liner every single time just to get another post.

My goal is to learn more about my VW and I think this place along with the samba will both continue to broaden my mind. There always needs to be an outlet such as the Rants or free speech sections, but I do appreciate the effort when people try to progress a topic vs continue it with useless banter.

Perfect example is a post colin made to my question on the use of headlight relays. Instead of saying "Yeah, thats cool" he pointed out I should put one on the dimmer switch too. Most excellent use of enriching the content of the post.

I'll try my best here to make this another great place to visit.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

tedebare
I'm New!

Post by tedebare » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:48 pm

the sage wrote:So where is Richard Atwell these days? and Karl for that matter? Can anyone get them here?
I guess they got tired of the h@ters. Richard and Karl still post to the grandaddy of lists. http://www.type2.com You'all ought to drop by as it is a wealth of information.

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:57 pm

tedebare wrote:
the sage wrote:So where is Richard Atwell these days? and Karl for that matter? Can anyone get them here?
I guess they got tired of the h@ters. Richard and Karl still post to the grandaddy of lists. http://www.type2.com You'all ought to drop by as it is a wealth of information.
It is good, but to be fair, type2.com uses website technology that is so old an archaic, I really only go there if I have an hour to kill to wait for things to load or feel like rambling through difficult to read pages to get the content I need :) It's got good info, but is just so stinking slow and there really isn't any user to user interaction going on at any sort of pace, hence the popularity of the online forums.

To me it seems more like just a reference database that is falling out of date with the times. I rely more on people posting links to articles on the site that they happen to find or even googling and finding the articles directly from Type2.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

lovemybus
Getting Hooked!

Post by lovemybus » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:58 pm

I hope I never have to read another thread that answers a question with "READ THE MANUAL"
Long live the VW Buses...
LoveMyBus.com

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:42 am

As it was said before in this forum I think that the rants have made their way into the bay window forum. I first visited the samba when I was looking to buy a bus which was the summer of 2001. I bought my bus in October and visitied on and off for information and most people were helpful. It seemed like a good mix of culture and tech info. I just started going to the baywindow forum agian last august after re-registering since I forget my previous username and have frequented alot since we got high speed connection at work. Things have changed in the last year. I still check in and there is alot of good info but their is a lot more bitching, complaining, etc than their used to be. I think being on the computer gives people a sense of security in their responses - One thing I dont like is that if you dont have 1 million posts you are looked at as a fool. It is not a contest where you get a prize. We are all there to learn and exchange information because of the common bond - the vw bus. I guess for some people they must not have much of a life to rely on the samba as their sole source of enjoyment / entertainment, which is sad.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:25 pm

mattg wrote:
if you dont have 1 million posts you are looked at as a fool.
I guess for some people they must not have much of a life to rely on the samba as their sole source of enjoyment / entertainment, which is sad.
From what I gather, there are many more readers than posters. I was surprised at the number of PMs I got that said they have been lurkers for years but only posted 3-4 times.

This whole thing is just a hobby, just a way to add another facet to life.
It is in line behind spouses children and work, and it is only just ahead of mowing the grass.
Colin
(so mow the grass already)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:19 pm

Adventurewagen wrote: last PM I got was and entire page of these: :smt098
I'm sorry about that PM, my keyboard locked up. :dscared:
Keep it acoustic.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:10 pm

I'm still checking in over there. But really not much anymore. Just doesn't feel like it used to.

Sigh.

lovemybus
Getting Hooked!

Post by lovemybus » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:39 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
mattg wrote:
if you dont have 1 million posts you are looked at as a fool.
I guess for some people they must not have much of a life to rely on the samba as their sole source of enjoyment / entertainment, which is sad.
From what I gather, there are many more readers than posters. I was surprised at the number of PMs I got that said they have been lurkers for years but only posted 3-4 times.

This whole thing is just a hobby, just a way to add another facet to life.
It is in line behind spouses children and work, and it is only just ahead of mowing the grass.
Colin
(so mow the grass already)
Well said Colin.
Long live the VW Buses...
LoveMyBus.com

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:03 pm

To me, it's changed o'er there. Obviously, those in charge are pals (or at least like minded) to those Rants folks. I just don't get that same fuzzy feeling anymore (which is coincidentally when I stopped taking the fungicide drops but I digress)...I even pulled the samba sticker off my back winder, enuff free advertising.
Nice to see this site coming along and evolving. Once th' werd gits out the steam will pick up.
Fresh air and sunshine are hard aversaries in the Summer! I've been little compelled to typey-type on the inty-net when Spectacularism is glowin jus' outside.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:07 pm

PS I replaced th' sticker with an American flag, right above "save a tree remove a Bush" let that stick in their craw.
I'm an American too! And damn proud to be one. Our current adminstration does not undue the good work of our founding fathers and the past 200+ plus years. "America" shouldn't equal right-wing (any wing) fundamentalism and war-mongering.
That is all. I'm new!

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:17 pm

hambone wrote:Our current adminstration does not undue the good work of our founding fathers and the past 200+ plus years. "America" shouldn't equal right-wing (any wing) fundamentalism and war-mongering.
:smt041 =D> :smt041 =D>

Very well said!

On behalf of those who've alredy jumped the Samba ship, welcome aboard.
Keep it acoustic.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:48 pm

LiveonJG wrote:
On behalf of those who've already jumped the Samba ship, welcome aboard.
On behalf of the crew of this little dingy, may all who visit from the great Samtanic enjoy their stay. We have a deck with a chair. So far it floats too.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:18 am

It seems they're still deleting threads in the bay forum.

Someone posted a thread about a bay DC found for cheap and offering to help any potential buyers. Thread got deleted.

Stupid.

I think I'm done over there.