Speaking of Hypocrites

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Speaking of Hypocrites

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:37 am

Florida's Republican Representative Mark Foley had to resign because he was caught sending suggestive emails to an underage Congressional page.

This is the guy who had a reputation for "ardent efforts to safeguard the young and vulnerable," leading legislative efforts to champion laws against sexual predators.

I have found over the years that anyone who leans too hard in judgment against their fellow human beings is usually covering up their own predilections and tendencies. J. Edgar Hoover. Jim Bakker. Bob Livingston. Henry Hyde. Jimmy Swaggart.

It is the damndest thing. Every person above got busted for the very thing that they thundered against.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:45 am

I have found over the years that anyone who leans too hard in judgment against their fellow human beings is usually covering up their own predilections and tendencies. J. Edgar Hoover. Jim Bakker. Bob Livingston. Henry Hyde. Jimmy Swaggart.

It is the damndest thing. Every person above got busted for the very thing that they thundered against.
Colin
I think you nailed it there....that principle probably accounts for a large % of causes, demonstrations, revolutions and whatnot
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:55 pm

Amskeptic wrote:I have found over the years that anyone who leans too hard in judgment against their fellow human beings is usually covering up their own predilections and tendencies. J. Edgar Hoover. Jim Bakker. Bob Livingston. Henry Hyde. Jimmy Swaggart.
Colin
Normally, yeah. I think that's called "projection" in psychological terms.
You know, like when a corrupt company installs video cameras in all the office areas to "make sure the employees stay honest."

Rob

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:36 pm

I just can't understand how you can live with yourself. I'd feel like I was rotting from the inside out.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:47 am

Yep. It's pretty common all over.

But it's funny as hell when they get busted.

I miss the innocence and sincerity of Jimmy Carter's public admission, "I have committed adultery in my heart." Everybody ridiculed him then, but how could you not admire the man for worrying about even his thoughts.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:23 am

Jimmy Carter is and was a good honest man, but he sucked as a president. The Iranians released the embassy hostages in about 30 seconds after Reagan took office. They knew he wouldn't pussy foot around and were afraid of what he would do.

Bill

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:01 am

vdubyah73 wrote:Jimmy Carter is and was a good honest man, but he sucked as a president. The Iranians released the embassy hostages in about 30 seconds after Reagan took office. They knew he wouldn't pussy foot around and were afraid of what he would do.
Reagan had a TREASONOUS underhanded agreement with Iran to hold on to the hostages until after the elections because he promised to work with them. Remember the birthday cake for the Ayatollah? Remember the Iran/Contra scandal? Geeze what short memories, what rewritten history we are all susceptible to.

Carter was well-respected and decent. There are those who think diplomacy is for wussies, they could not be more wrong.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:12 am

Being afraid of us has driven all these smaller nations who don't want to lick the boots of Uncle Sam to build nukes. It's a cheap effective way to make sure we don't mess with them. We've got troops on both sides of Iran, they aren't stupid.

With the history of Iran, basically being formed as a puppet of the British and then the US with it's sole purpose being to supply us with oil, it's no wonder we've got a bum rep over there. We are a fat people who just take and take from everyone else, just because we are bigger and can get away with it doesn't make it right. And with the amount we are blowing on the military, eventually we are going to bankrupt ourselves.

I am blown away with how the American middle class thinks they have it so good, and that everyone wants to take it away, so we better carry a big stick. Well if having it good is working all the time so that we can make payments on all our dept, so that we can have a 60 inch plasma, to watch sports and crime shows on, count me out, it isn't worth it. I like heat and indoor plumping, but there is just too much crap in our culture that I can do without...

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:26 pm

chitwnvw wrote:I like heat and indoor plumping, but there is just too much crap in our culture that I can do without...
Word

vdubyah73 wrote:Jimmy Carter is and was a good honest man, but he sucked as a president. Bill
Jimmy was/is a good guy and right now I wish we had him back. But I do remember thinking of him as a weak-tit in dealing with the Soviets and many other issues.
I think he started to learn to play hardball toward the very end of his presidency but by then it was too late.
----------------------
Shark, cool avatar. Is that Angus Scrimm from Phantasm?

Rob

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:29 pm

Hippie wrote: Shark, cool avatar. Is that Angus Scrimm from Phantasm?

Rob
Nope.

Code: Select all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_(Farscape)
(The board is barfing on the URL because of the quotes and underscore.)

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:33 pm

Well, it's nice and disturbing anyway.

Rob

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:40 pm

Let's not forget that Jimmy carried on the work of his predecessors in central America, the shit we supported down there makes you want to puke. Jimmy was no saint, he was a politician, albeit one who didn't go out of his way to stick it to the rest of the world. It's kind of sad that he's become the gold standard of decency. Let's not confuse the man and his personal life with his work, we do that a lot.

We can do a lot better.

PS: Hippie, yours is nice and disturbing, also.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:43 pm

I tried to get Colin to run. Nope. We're stuck with Jimmy.
Maybe someday we'll re-elect his head in a jar like in Futurama.

Rob
chitwnvw wrote:PS: Hippie, yours is nice and disturbing, also.
Why thank you!

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:34 pm

Hippie and DurocShark, both of your many new and diff avitars are really interesting and disturbing to me. Ive been tring to decide on what to use as mine after almost two years on these VW boards. Ive googled to learn the symbolisum of the why and it is the same as Art in the eye of the beholder. Just glad I saw your earlier ones, otherwise I would skip past your post. Freedom is a wonderfull thing on the internet, but sure has a jillion million ways to interpet.

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Re: Speaking of Hypocrites

Post by Adventurewagen » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:06 am

Amskeptic wrote:I have found over the years that anyone who leans too hard in judgment against their fellow human beings is usually covering up their own predilections and tendencies.

This brings up a question then. What are we (ACVW enthusiasts (aka VW nuts)) covering up with our almost masocistic ties to our buses?

Maybe we are all gas guzzling SUV loving drug hating gun toting religious replublicans at heart. :pale:

hehehe
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav: