I've got to admit, this is very interesting...

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DeathBus
I'm New!

Post by DeathBus » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:12 pm

LOL, I love how you guys are justifing this, if you look on the SAMBA you will see above the area that the Bay Window forum is under, it plainly says, TECHNICAL AND VEHICLE FORUMS. Where you see General Chat and the like, is under the heading, DISCUSSION FORUMS.

Now if Ev had set it up where you could come in and talk about whatever the heck you want he would have probably posted the BWF under the COME IN AND TALK ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT section.

Breeze and Keifernet do not moderate any differently than any of the other mods. Go hang out in the split bus forum and just start rattling off things, it will get moved or deleted. As I see it Breeze and Keifernet gave you guys A LOT of lee way for a very long time, now that it comes down to the BWF being like all the other forums, its take my football and go somewhere else time.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:51 pm

DeathBus wrote:As I see it Breeze and Keifernet gave you guys A LOT of lee way for a very long time, now that it comes down to the BWF being like all the other forums, its take my football and go somewhere else time.
You're absolutely right!

But...

Some of us liked it the way it was. Making it homogenous to the rest of the site was a conscious decision. My coming over here was also a conscious decision that came about as a result of the first decision. I can get perfectly good "purely technical" from several other places. The camaraderie that existed in the BWF was why I was there.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:15 pm

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:15 pm

DurocShark wrote:
DeathBus wrote:As I see it Breeze and Keifernet gave you guys A LOT of lee way for a very long time, now that it comes down to the BWF being like all the other forums, its take my football and go somewhere else time.
You're absolutely right!

But...

Some of us liked it the way it was. Making it homogenous to the rest of the site was a conscious decision. My coming over here was also a conscious decision that came about as a result of the first decision. I can get perfectly good "purely technical" from several other places. The camaraderie that existed in the BWF was why I was there.
I agree the camaraderie was what made it special, I like westy78's analogy of the campfire hangout. Relaxed, informative and flexible.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

baygeek
Getting Hooked!

Post by baygeek » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:44 am

LiveonJG wrote:It's ironic but I think the anger is a direct response to the technology. It's dehumanizing to "speak" through a keyboard, most of the subtle nuances of communication dissappear and we're forced to compensate with emoticons :dontknow: . This same technology further isolates us from each other and even points out how insicnificant each of us can be, just a lone voice lost in a sea of digital data. Anger is a natural result. Since we can't SHOUT on the internet, the only way to make a splash is to stir things up. Add to this a pack mentality, and here we are. Lord of the Flies has been mentioned and I think that's quite accurate. It's exactly what we're seeing play out. For the most part it's self perpetuating so it will be interesting to see how long it takes to run its course.
-John

but that is the power of communication -- you have to become a better communicator to get your point across via the typed word... without emoticons, without the benefit of visual/aural cues...

we all have to be better communicators on this medium called the internet simply because it is a one-dimensional medium...

I don't see the anger that is due to the medium - I see poor communication methods that cause frustration and then devolve into anger and destructive behaviors... but that is NOT inherent in the medium; that is due to the user's patterns....

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:31 pm

baygeek wrote:
but that is the power of communication -- you have to become a better communicator to get your point across via the typed word...
True, no doubt, but what I'm referring to are those who don't bother and jump to inflamatory insults rather than constructive argument.
baygeek wrote:
I see poor communication methods that cause frustration and then devolve into anger and destructive behaviors... but that is NOT inherent in the medium; that is due to the user's patterns....
I disagree here, because I think the medium helps to facilitate anger and hostility due to it's inherent envelope of anomninity. It's easy to flame someone out here because there are no real consequences, unlike a face to face conversation. This medium levels the playing field for all participants and some can't quite handle it.

Thanks for your thoughful observations.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

baygeek
Getting Hooked!

Post by baygeek » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:04 pm

LiveonJG wrote:
I disagree here, because I think the medium helps to facilitate anger and hostility due to it's inherent envelope of anomninity. It's easy to flame someone out here because there are no real consequences, unlike a face to face conversation. This medium levels the playing field for all participants and some can't quite handle it.
I agree it levels the playing field, so we (the players) must get better at the game....

yes, it's easy to hide behind the anonymity, but the true players can converse and hold an intelligent dialogue, with no ambiguity... while the kiddies can flame all they want....

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:29 pm

baygeek wrote:
LiveonJG wrote:
I agree it levels the playing field, so we (the players) must get better at the game....

yes, it's easy to hide behind the anonymity, but the true players can converse and hold an intelligent dialogue, with no ambiguity... while the kiddies can flame all they want....
You sir are correct! =D> =D> =D>
Keep it acoustic.