What types of music do you listen to?

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:24 am

I like music with heart. Gettin harder to find these days, but if you scratch the local-surface it's all over the place.
I just saw an oldtime band playin traditional music on the corner last weekend, fiddle/guitar/bass/banjo playin "greenback dollar" cute lead singer/flapper skirt with a dog on it (softly curving/leaving nothing to the imagination) took my heart home with her.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:51 am

We found a show in an alley behind a jazz bar in Truckee last, last weekend that was a blast. The band was called the "Shotgun Wedding HipHop Symphony." They had a dj, mc, three violins, tuba, cello, sax, ass'ted clarinets, drums, keys, guitars, bass and a great vibe. There where sound problems all night so they started improvising whenever the sound cut out and the closed with an awesome, accidentally metal, rendition of "Devil Went Down to Georgia" (the fiddles kept getting distorted and cutting in and out, but the actual fiddlin' was incredible).
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

jberger
Getting Hooked!

Post by jberger » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:41 pm

Slim Cessna's Auto Club
Little late but just found out about Mike Ness and Social Distortion
Cash
Cake
Beck
Rube Wadell
And I will kill anyone who speaks of it but I am a sucker for all things electronic... campy 80's music with keyboards, dance, club\house a good beat means all.

lovemybus
Getting Hooked!

Post by lovemybus » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:38 pm

tristessa wrote:Tough one. I'd have a much easier time (and shorter post) with what I don't or won't listen to .. which basically boils down to What Passes For Country These Days (give me Hank Williams Sr./Jr., Willie, Cash, Coe .. *real* country), Hiphop/rap/disco, and any of the manufactured "stars" we've been subjected to over the last 20 years.

Guest, I'm with you 1000% on Dave Matthews. Massively overrated, and extremely annoying. Someday I'd like to have a time machine .. take care of Mr. Matthews before he records a single song.

I'm open to most anything, but still selective about it. Regardless of the "genre" label, crap is crap. I like good music. I don't like crap. :-)
Dave Matthews - Live at Luther College is one of top ten cd's I have. (yah I know walked into that one) I have more then 10. BUt anyway, it's an excellent CD and it was what Dave was once like. His new mainstream is pfft... If you havent heard live at luther college with Tim Reynolds, it's worth the listening to...

I like Ben Harper, Jack Johnson, G love & the Special Sauce, The Rappin Cowboy- listen to him- he is Fun to listen to!
Browse songs- http://www.rappincowboy.com/songs/
This song is a riot for you old scooler's - http://www.rappincowboy.com/songs/Sandm ... elight.mp3,
Also I like, David Gray, I just got the James Blunt CD- It's good, simalar to David Gray if you know him.

But I really enjoy most music as I am part musician. Though, I dont play very good. :headbang:
Long live the VW Buses...
LoveMyBus.com

tedebare
I'm New!

Post by tedebare » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:57 am

I am a satellite radio addict. On XM, my favorite is the folk channel, with all types and styles of folk music. On Sirius, my favorite channel is the Elvis channel.

Both XM and Sirius have a complete line-up of all types of music. I can go to oldies (separated by years), Reggie, or mixes of all different types of music from rock to classical.

AND NO COMMERCIALS..........

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:00 pm

I don,t know where to put this , but I think the choice tonght on Super Nova was right on. At first he turned me off and I like the Aussie dude but he was old mello and the tattoed chic was a bit crass for me. Is not music the best to bring us together ? Now back to my bach and Blues
My Elwood and Jake to come, Barb

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:31 am

I agree Elwood, that show initially didn't sit with me right but then my High School mullet started speaking to me and the head banger inside popped through my Johnny Cash skin to have some fun. :cheers:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Damien Moor
I'm New!

Post by Damien Moor » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:07 am

Im Into a Style of Music Called , House, Its mainly underground and most of it is found on vinyl. I am a Dj so I mix this style of dance music. Listen to some 70's and 80's Rock as well, not into country at all.
Technology sucks , Buy more Vinyl

1975 vw westfaila , 2.0l fI

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:18 am

Mainly Grateful Dead and the various offshoots, Jerry Band, Ratdog etc. Dylan, Ben Harper Jack Johnson lately, Allman Brothers, String Cheese Incident, Stevie Ray

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:30 am

jberger wrote:Slim Cessna's Auto Club
And I will kill anyone who speaks of it but I am a sucker for all things electronic... campy 80's music with keyboards, dance, club\house a good beat means all.
I won't tell... I'm the same way... (look at my username..."Dj" Eep)
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:46 am

I'm pretty eclectic when it comes to my musical tastes. Basically anything but country (save for some old Willy or Johnny Cash) and that bubble gum pop crap that passes for music some how.

Recently heard Dan Reeder on NPR the other day. Humor, accoustic guitar, banjo, piano thrown in here and there and simple production. I'm going to pick up both of his CD's if I can find them somewhere other than online.

http://www.myspace.com/danreeder

http://www.danreeder.com/
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

lari
Getting Hooked!

Post by lari » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:18 pm

I love music so much, it's hard to answer this question and make my list small enough to share. My taste is certainly varied. I came of age in the 80s and have a huge soft spot for good brit new wave stuff (like punk too), shoe gazer stuff (I loves me some guitar effects), most stuff they would have played on 120 minutes on MTV back in the day, like to listen to trance when I'm working on dissertation writing, and as I've gotten older have come to appreciate some country *classics* (patsy, willie, jc...).

A music-related incident forged a great bond between Brown Bear (our 78 CE westy) and me. Shortly after we brought him home we were working on getting the frig going, and had the z-bed open so we could see in the cabinet below. There is a small space between the wood of the z-bed and the wheel well. I am nosy, so I thought I'd look to see if any POs left anything interesting in there. I found PICTURES! The first picture just looked like some random dude in the 80s (complete with big 80s hair, white pants, shoulder pads and headband). When I pulled out the second picture I knew who it was....it was DURAN DURAN. Now a lot of you may not be excited by the prospect of finding pictures of duran duran (if you even would recognize them in the first place) in your bus, BUT I WAS! I got hooked on them when I was but a girl, and my fondness for them has not faded over the years. The pictures are brilliant. They look to have been taken at several shows (super close shots) during their 1984 world tour, there are also intimate pictures of the boys hanging out, shots from a press conference...I'm not sure whose pictures they were (press person, tour photographer--they're that good), but they found themselves (likely after 20 years of being in that spot) into the hands of someone who will treasure them, and (as if I needed it) gave me another reason to love our westy. I'm convinced it was meant to be ours.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:30 pm

The last few weeks I've been playing the same 2 CDs over and over.

The Slackers - International War Criminal (Guess what the whole album is about. For some reason, it isn't available in the U.S.)

Vic Rugierro (lead singer of the Slackers gone solo) - Alive At The Lady Bug House (very acoustic Bob Dylan kinda feel. Does an acoustic version of International War Criminal).
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

iwantmybustorun
Addicted!

Post by iwantmybustorun » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:29 pm

I'm into early, traditional Ska & Reggae. Prince Buster, Alton Ellis, Skatalites, Toots & The Maytals.... + Blues, 60's Soul and good old fashioned PUNK. Dead Kennedys, Fugazi,
FUGAZI!!!
that is a flash from the past. are they still making music? their 13songs album is a classic in my opinion. it brings me back to high school days.

With you on the TOOTS too.

I tend to listen to certain music at certain times of the year. Autumn means ELLIOT SMITH and Rusted Root "remember".

I am also a fan of all that hippy shit and i LOVE all jazz!
73 Westy
Weber single progressive
[Crane ignition system out]
SVDA and points

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:17 pm

The Pogues Its, its, like...Irish-folk-punk!
:cheers:

Rob