Vote!

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Vote!

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:32 pm

I barely made it through the debate to other night. We have unleashed a malignant nihilism, an indiscriminate argumentativeness, a coarse and thoughtless tribalism, an erosion of mutual project in our country, we are witnessing the dangerous fraying of this Nation, and we are losing the critical foundation of rational discourse. We cannot solve our growing problems with this utter and sheer inanity and hypocrisy and selfishness in the current leadership. We are modeling the collapse of civility to our children. For what? For what? For personal advantage? For the primacy of our own beliefs at the expense of others? What good are power and riches if we are surrounded by suffering and alienation? Like frogs slowly boiled alive, we seem unaware of just how late the hour is. Once we have rended our institutions and agreements and once we abuse words to utterly useless effect, we shall lose that which connects us. Then it is a free-for-all. Then the contract is over. The bullies will unleash their ids upon the weak, the predators will feast on their prey, and stupidly, they will not grasp that they too shall starve to death as they consume the fruits of those they dominate. We are better than this. Desperately I ask if anyone is left who agrees that our leadership has to be held to the basic standard of honesty and selflessness that we heckle and cajole our children to meet. Seriously. There is an election coming up. We citizens have a moment to affect the future trajectory of this nation and the world. Look past the noise! Look at everything you stand for, and look at your children and look at your own legacy and look at the choice you must make to help this country survive.

036.JPG
036.JPG (2.18 MiB) Viewed 5006 times
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Re: Vote!

Post by hippiewannabe » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:52 pm

You should have headed north instead of west. There are actually a few undecided voters here.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

MountainPrana
Getting Hooked!

Post by MountainPrana » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:59 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:32 pm
For what? For what? For personal advantage? For the primacy of our own beliefs at the expense of others?

036.JPG
You forgot to mention this in the conversation of solving the worlds' problems.
Now I just have to find an eloquent and well aged mix of courage and compassion to bring this question to some that see the world through this primacy. On a humble aging wood sign at the base of one of the many routes on Mount Shasta there is a quote by Carlos Castenada that reads "The only path for me is the path of heart". I think I've been of the mountaineers mind for so long that I just take it for granted that there are as many paths to the top as there is space for footsteps and handholds. The important thing to me is that we can share the peak with grace and respect no matter the path taken.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:00 pm

MountainPrana wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:59 pm
Amskeptic wrote:
For what? For what? For personal advantage? For the primacy of our own beliefs at the expense of others?

036.JPG
You forgot to mention this in the conversation of solving the worlds' problems.
Now I just have to find an eloquent and well aged mix of courage and compassion to bring this question to some that see the world through this primacy. On a humble aging wood sign at the base of one of the many routes on Mount Shasta there is a quote by Carlos Castenada that reads "The only path for me is the path of heart". I think I've been of the mountaineers mind for so long that I just take it for granted that there are as many paths to the top as there is space for footsteps and handholds. The important thing to me is that we can share the peak with grace and respect no matter the path taken.

I am on a sociological tear. I think we often grow up in families like Donald Trump's, where dad is outsized ego diety, and we grow up hungering to please the old sob, and we imitate his horrid egotistical beliefs and admonishments, undiscerningly. We cast aside all other experiences and insights, because we are fearfully wedded to our thirsty need for approval from our parents.

Otherwise, the cruelty and blindness and seemingly active obtuse refusal to consider others looks just incomprehensible.
Colin

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:08 am

Amskeptic wrote:
We citizens have a moment to affect the future trajectory of this nation and the world. Look past the noise! Look at everything you stand for, and look at your children and look at your own legacy and look at the choice you must make to help this country survive.
Not much to add to your comment, but there is this"

I saw something on Facebook that summed up this whole issue of voting third-party, voting for a write-in, or simply not voting because you disapprove of the candidates. It pointed out that by doing so, you place your own moral purity above the very real lives of other people.

Yes, the two-party system sucks in many respects. But right now the choice is quite binary. One or the other of these dudes is going to win ... there's no changing that. Our only real choice is... which dude?

I'm going to vote for the one that comes closest, however imperfectly, for the ideals that Colin articulated so eloquently. And that is the ticket of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris, by a country mile.

(BTW, Colin and Sluggo, I notice that "Kamala" is flagged as a mis-spelling in whatever dictionary the site uses. I think she's going to be around for a while, and we might as well include her name. Oddly, I notice that "Sluggo" is also not in the dictionary.)
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:56 pm

we placed our votes for a solid Republican ticket this morning. Having worked for the state and see things others don't, we are tired of the lies from Harris and Biden, not to mention other characters. Did anyone take the time to read the CIA memo from while Obama was in office showing that they knew all along that Hillary Clinton and the DNC fabricated the whole Russiagate thing against Trump to divert attention from some of the thing Hillary did that were illegal? We don't understand how ANYONE can support a party that condones that action regardless of their other political views.
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:41 pm

sgkent wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:56 pm
we placed our votes for a solid Republican ticket this morning. Having worked for the state and see things others don't, we are tired of the lies from Harris and Biden, not to mention other characters
Well, I have been watching Bill Barr, indicted Michael Flynn, indicted Michael Cohen, indicted Paul Manafort, indicted Steve Bannon, indicted Roger Stone, and I see the 20,000 demonstrable lies spewed by that Donald Trump, and I have read all about Trump's tax fraud, and Trump University fraud, and real estate shenanigans with his dad, Fred, and I say your sentence above is incomprehensible.

sgkent wrote:
Did anyone take the time to read the CIA memo from while Obama was in office showing that they knew all along that Hillary Clinton and the DNC fabricated the whole Russiagate thing against Trump to divert attention from some of the thing Hillary did that were illegal?

Oh yes, I did, Steve, and your above statement is not at all the accepted conclusion. The entire dossier was actually *Republican opposition research* paid for by primary opponents. Yes, the democrat campaign operatives bought the conclusions to use in the general election. But you best believe Mueller found a boat load of questionable conduct, and you best understand that Trump is toast when the SDNY prosecutors get their mitts on that con man. Many of us have known that fraud for years before he hit the political stage. He is toast.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... _manual_27

sgkent wrote:
We don't understand how ANYONE can support a party that condones that action regardless of their other political views.
"Condones that action" is a weak vague supposition.
I do not support an administration that has botched the most critical test of our time by ignoring or actively suppressing the facts of this pandemic and has led us to have the worst outcome of any industrialized country. I do not support a president who has mocked so many of our citizens and soldiers. He is craven and sociopathic.
Colin

skip
Getting Hooked!

Post by skip » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:34 am

As a Vietnam era veteran (served in Thailand) who lives in NJ. The Liar-in-Chief who went bankrupt at least 4 times and ruined Atlantic City and cheated contractors who built his hotels/golf courses. A fake man who hurts people to hold up a Bible he doesn't live by, paying off women while cheating again on his wife.
He is the first billionaire to be president and his fortune was handed to him, he didn't earn it like Bloomberg.
His only reference to life is as a very rich person and can only relate to them. So, you think he cares about you.
People will vote for Biden because he is not Trump. The orange one has done nothing to make this country great again...it's worst off than 4 years ago. If somehow he wins I'm moving to Panama.
Complexity is the enemy of reliability.

76 Westfalia
74 Type 181

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:05 am

skip wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:34 am
As a Vietnam era veteran (served in Thailand) who lives in NJ. The Liar-in-Chief who went bankrupt at least 4 times and ruined Atlantic City and cheated contractors who built his hotels/golf courses. A fake man who hurts people to hold up a Bible he doesn't live by, paying off women while cheating again on his wife.
He is the first billionaire to be president and his fortune was handed to him, he didn't earn it like Bloomberg.
His only reference to life is as a very rich person and can only relate to them. So, you think he cares about you.
People will vote for Biden because he is not Trump. The orange one has done nothing to make this country great again...it's worst off than 4 years ago. If somehow he wins I'm moving to Panama.

Succinctly stated, skip.
Colin

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:38 pm

sgkent wrote:
we placed our votes for a solid Republican ticket this morning.
And I will vote a solid Democrat ticket, because I believe that the Republican Party, in its current incarnation, is a cancer that will kill our country unless it is rubbed out. If I could give all the reasons why I believe it, this post would be two pages long.

But the real question is: since Merlin and I are at opposite ends of the political spectrum, can we agree to disagree and be friends based on our common love of these odd little air-cooled cars and vans? Can we put our differences aside? We're obviously getting our news from different sources, and basing our opinions on those sources, but are we willing to say, as Oliver Cromwell did before Parliament, "I beseech ye, consider that ye may be mistaken!"?
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:09 pm

absolutely we can and have been friends. I was a democrat once but like RR said, the party left me, I didn't leave it. I get my news by watching what people do, and not what they say they did or are going to do. The political parties don't give us a choice between optimal candidates. We have to work with what we we are offered. We have many hurdles ahead of us but one of them cannot be free everything for everybody. People in the boat have to row like everyone else in the boat is or we all drown. And, we cannot toss out people into the ocean to make room for someone else who is swimming, because we feel bad for that someone who is swimming. However if someone wants to get in the water to make room for someone else that is their choice. We have to work with the cards we are dealt.

It would be nice if Colin chimed in on how he is doing since Mr. Attitude in So Dakota assaulted him.
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:15 am

sgkent wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:09 pm
It would be nice if Colin chimed in on how he is doing since Mr. Attitude in So Dakota assaulted him.

Me? On the anniversary of my mother's passing, Donald Trump addressed the nation on Election Night, and I thought, "I am glad she is not here to see this."

A year ago I was in love with a dancing apparition. I still love her, of course, but I have to give it all over to time. I am wary of the dictates of time.

I am watching the pandemic unfold as scientists warned it might. This was avoidable. Who is listening any more?

I think I am healthy, my VW is running well, it is sunny, and I am currently out of reach of all humans. This feels like the safest place to be in this moment.
Colin

MountainPrana
Getting Hooked!

Post by MountainPrana » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:45 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:15 am

Who is listening any more?
Still listening.

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:22 am

MountainPrana wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:45 pm
Amskeptic wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:15 am

Who is listening any more?
Still listening.
As am I. Stay well, buddy! (And everyone else, too.)
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:43 pm

I'm here Mr. K. Hope you and all of the rest of the folks here are well.

It's been quite a year - And I fear that rolling over from '20 to '21 will probably not make all of our problems go away.

JC
Late 73 Bay w/a transplanted 914 Engine.