Huh

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

JLT
Old School!

Re: Huh

Post by JLT » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:26 am

dingo wrote:Yeah, i too, find it interesting to examine why people hold so tightlly to their allegiance to certain ideas, or narratives...they seem to be largely based on emotional needs; security, approval, acceptance...to stand out naked with ones real opinions or real confusion or real fears, is er quite uncomfortable...and most will just rather hide within the narrative of the herd...
I think you have it, dingo. Paradoxically, our access to greater information allows us to narrow the bandwidth down to those sources that are most likely to agree with us in the first place, thus reinforcing our own biases. At the suggestion of a friend, I put his brother ... a staunch conservative ... on my Facebook "friends" list, just so I could be exposed to his thought processes. He's an intelligent guy, not as dogmatic as the run-of-the-mill conservative, and we've had interesting dialogs.

From what I've seen, nobody wins arguments by setting themselves in diametric opposition to the people they're arguing with. Instead, the successful ones first look for points of agreement, develop those points, and then find out where the divergences are. If you have people agreeing with you at least partway, they're more likely to accept, if not agree with, your arguments for your side.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"