food for thought...race relations

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: food for thought...race relations

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:35 am

Spezialist wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:You all just have to get out more... I have friends all colors/hues/ethnicbackgrounds and variety is the spice of life. Yep, most American White people are pretty boring IMHO.
When you say american white people what so you mean?
We have Italian, Irish, German, English, "European Genric, can't think of all of em folks"
And then you have something that is very unknown in America, and what put the term Caucasian in disfavor.
American Indians who are white skinned, blond, red hair, various other hues, with blue green grey etc eyes.
Who have zip nada zilch European blood to account for the "assumed Eurocentric phenotypes"
565 tribes in America currently and what Hollywood presents as indian is a narrow view, because historically if you could pass for "white" you did.
So are your boring white friends Indians or Europeans?
Why this is important is this, culturally White indians are the same as say a Mexican, or other minority.
This is not mean to be offensive at all, this is exploratory and a sensitive topic to me.
Please do not flame me, I don't feel I ever intentionally flamed anyone on this forum ever, but I admit I have a unique perspective and have strong opinions and can be irritating, if you don't show me where the particular phrase is I don't know it. The irritation is this, I've grown up in your world, but my school and life experience was not the same as the average american, without getting into details I will leave it at that.
I really want to I overcome misunderstandings we have had.
My boring white american friends are of european descent as my white american indian friend is definitely not boring. (She is sitting across from me now) I think a lot of this "boring" is brought about by the mainstream media which has produced the consumerism us vs them culture which has displaced the more social society of pre-80's. I like to celebrate our differences/life experiences but I am not in a "Rat Race" with anyone.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:59 am

First of all, some credentials: worked with NAACP members, equal rights and voters drives, Newark, NJ, 1962-64.
U.S. Army-race relations board, goal of improving enlisted men's racial relationships when it was at an all time low, 1967-68.
Personal crime history: Involved in 4 felonious actions, against my person, by a total of 7 perps, all black males, 18-55. 100% of my crime experience has been with members of about 11% of the Miami-Dade population. I used a gun to stop all of the crimes (without shooting anyone), and held 6 of these criminals for a return to prison. One got away. All were repeat offenders.
Do we have a problem in this country: You bet!
Do I "racial profile"?: You bet! Forums and discussions are great, but survival is my ultimate reality.
White friends boring? Not sure how relevant that is, but perhaps one needs to range further than the convenience store parking lot for their circle of friends.

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:18 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
hippiewannabe wrote: Heck, the rate of auto accident deaths is 100 per million.

More black male high school dropouts aged 20–35 are in custody than in paid employment;
70% of black babies are born to single mothers.
To paraphrase the philosopher Ice-T, black America's got 99 problems, and police violence ain’t one.
Plenty of fascinating and complex social phenomena surrounds us. Many many ways to interpret the data.

For example, the stigma of being a child of a single mother is greater on the suburban white child, while it is more understood and accepted in the urban black community.

Black drop-outs have been groomed to drop out, if you look at elementary school discipline. Unbelievable bias right out of the box. You could say that a punitive overworked teacher helps to land our black children in jail. The stats prove this. And these children who have been prejudiced against in elementary school are absolutely wired to be prejudiced against by authority figures known as "police". The astonishing number of blacks in jail I cannot ever interpret at face value to mean that they are just so much less behaved.

I was a delinquent, hippiewannabee. I did not have the words or the clarity to express my furies against my very own in-house hypocrites who presented a perfect facade in polite daytime company, so my fury leaked out at school against these prissy little autocrat teachers whose bestowed "authority" was not earned, whose punitive classroom shaming sessions alienated me away from the "good kids". I was game for every sadistic authoritarian asshole teacher that needed to have an incident to make their assholish day complete with "proof" of their asshole assumptions. Power and privilege and assumptions have little to do with the truth of human lives, and I'll be damned, but there is a large group of your fellow Americans that are bearing the brunt of power privilege assumptions and authoritarian assholery, and they have heard all of the justifications before. There comes a time when words like "obey" are the very last fucking thing you are ever going to do so help you God, because you have had enough.

I know people who can spot that last stand, who can identify that last stand, and actually know how to diffuse it with grace and dignity and maturity, and nobody has to die. At this point in our Nation's history, I say that the onus is not on the people whose lives take hopeless turns and they have to sell "loosies", but on the people who swear to protect and to serve.
Colin
I guess I was lucky in some respects, growing up attending about 30+ schools because of various reasons beyond our control insulated me from focused abuse by authority, except when I had to get immunization shots every time I switched schools because the records hadn't shown up yet.
I hear this post from you loud and clear, my cousin was a poster child for scared straight and put into juvy detention at age 13, she never assimilated.
I live in a very rural area and the racism here is very strange, its actually based on issues unique to hawaii and damn if I'm going to try and understand it all in one post, :geek:
Anyways,, My oldest son was getting into trouble at school for disrupting class repeatedly. I was out of the loop until the third time he was sent to the office, "long story short" He had been talking to 'local boys" whose parents were born here about technical information being taught by "local lady teacher" basically the local boys were asking my son for help, and my son was helping, and getting in trouble for it!
Turns out the teacher has issues with anyone not born here, its a "local thing" and its really bad when a "local by blood" is born in say california, like in this case, "the teacher" no pun intended.
So story getting longer,, hopi its not too disjointed.
So my son ( best academic student in class according to teacher ) was punished by this teacher repeatedly for helping out in class when asked by fellow table mates. And get this, She singled him out every time, not once in 4 altercations was another boy held accountable for asking for help from my son, "any boy can talk except my son" actually happened.
So all of this came to a HEAD two weeks before the end of last school year, in a 10 day period. On the last day, I had enough, and had a discussion with the teacher with two of my sons present about it.
When asked "by me" why no other boys were getting into trouble for talking, "because my son wasn't talking to himself" the teacher started pointing the index finger "very bad form in Hawaii" and yelling at my son, right in front of me,,,
we were in an open classroom about 10 feet apart, I raised my hands in front of me and told the teacher that this was unacceptable and we would have to talk again later.
I left the classroom shaken, but vented my situation to the next teacher in the next class room when picking up my third son.
I told that teacher I figured the indecent was a one off and caused by being tired or stressed about something else,, so left it that.
I kept the kids out of school the next day, for a re-evaluation of reality.
following that, I got a call from the principal on the third day Stating that the teacher in question was accusing me of yelling and pointing my finger at the teacher,,, wtf? really? Yes it really happened that way.
So, in closing, I pulled all of my kids out of public school and am now homeschooling them full time myself, and I am very happy about it, as is every member of the family, it has been very good for us.
The principal although "white in appearance is native american, full blood cherokee" was, had to be, protecting her job, because well the story never changes in this school, this incident wasn't the first, but it was the last for us, because it was the most blatant.
The teacher has a horrible rep around the community, but thats not saying much at Peyton Place.
Im called a witch, and who knows what else, lol.
Basically, there are innumerable hoops to jump in this community to fit in, and many circus masters.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:16 pm

Remember that 12 year-old boy who got shot at the playground?
Reuters
February 11

by David Graham

Cleveland Sues Tamir Rice's Family for Ambulance Fees

What’s more outrageous than having a police officer shoot an unarmed 12-year-old, failing to provide medical care, keeping his family forcibly from the scene, and then declining to indict the officer for the death? In most cases, little. But the city of Cleveland has found a way: It is suing Tamir Rice’s family for not paying the ambulance bill after a Cleveland cop shot and killed the boy in November 2014.

Cleveland has filed a claim in probate court, seeking $500 from Rice’s estate to pay for emergency medical services rendered after Officer Timothy Loehmann fatally shot the boy. The charge is especially galling because Loehmann and another officer apparently had no training or equipment to provide aid to Rice after they shot him. They did nothing for four minutes until an FBI agent who happened to be nearby took over.

“The callousness, insensitivity, and poor judgment required for the city to send a bill—its own police officers having slain 12-year-old Tamir—is breathtaking,” Subodh Chandra, a Rice family attorney, said in a statement. “This adds insult to homicide.”

On Thursday, Mayor Frank Jackson apologized for any pain caused by the suit and bill, which he attributed to a clerical error. He said the Rice family was never sent the preliminary bill, and the claim should have been made to the family’s insurance provider. The city says it has withdrawn the claim.

Yet this is not even the first moment the city has done such a thing. In March, Jackson apologized for language that Cleveland had used in a brief that blamed Rice for causing his own death by “failure ... to exercise due care to avoid injury.” Jackson called the language insensitive, but said it had been used to preserve the city’s legal defenses. That seems to cut straight to the heart of the matter: While Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy McGinty failed to indict Loehmann in the case, it seems telling the wording in the brief is so inflammatory to a lay public the mayor felt compelled to apologize.

Despite the criminal case against Loehmann ending without indictment, Rice’s family has filed a civil lawsuit. The city paid out more than $10 million to victims of police brutality between 2004 and 2014.

It’s hard to know just how common it is for a city to bill the family of a victim of police violence. In one similar case in 2012, the city of New York billed Laverne Robinson $710 for a dent in a police car. The car struck and killed her son, Tamon Robinson; an officer was chasing him after spotting him trying to steal pavers. After public backlash, a law firm collecting the debt dropped its effort. A New York Police Department spokesman told The New York Times, “We don’t know any instance where we send letters like that. I’m not sure how it came out.”

Just this week, a Chicago officer filed a suit requesting $10 million in damages from the estate of Quintonio LeGrier, a college student he shot and killed on December 26.

But asking Rice’s family to pay for expenses after police shot him is reminiscent of little so much as “bullet fees,” charges reportedly issued by repressive governments after executions. In 2009, for instance, The Wall Street Journal reported the family of a young man shot during protests in Tehran was being asked to pay $3,000 to retrieve his body, as compensation for the bullet used by Iranian security forces to kill him. It’s also been widely reported the Chinese government charged a bullet fee to the families of people it executed. Those regimes are hardly seem like the model the Forest City wants to follow—even if its police has a similar track record of excessive violence.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:12 pm

And you wonder why, I said fu about the politics of a country that prides itself in dehumanizing everyone
In two years you couldn't manage a response. Your culture is spiraling out of control.
Maybe now it's truly
Idiocracy in the flesh.
We have much experience in this realm, us natives.
Suck it up hippies.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:02 pm

Spezialist wrote:And you wonder why, I said fu about the politics of a country that prides itself in dehumanizing everyone

In two years you couldn't manage a response.
You talking to me?

Spezialist wrote: Your culture is spiraling out of control.
Maybe now it's truly
Idiocracy in the flesh.
We have much experience in this realm, us natives.
Suck it up hippies.

Well, the labeling and the divisiveness, the "us" and the "them" continue, and the hypocrisy of someone who visits here every couple of years with a victim agenda, blaming for not "managing a response". You have been given your fair quota of acceptance, you have consumed your equal measure of intrinsic respect, and now I recommend that you participate with not one iota of personal attack or blame. We are all part of the One, natives and non-natives.
Colin
(blood member of the Juaneño Band of Mission Indians Tribe, Acjacheman Nation, and whateverrrrrrrr)

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:55 pm

No, my sigline hasn't changed.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:38 am

Spezialist wrote:No, my sigline hasn't changed.
Mine has . . . more and more miles under my belt.
Colin