Hey Hambone..

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Hey Hambone..

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:41 pm

How is Green Cascadia going? Are ya' happy with your decision? If you aren't comfortable telling all here, send me a PM. I am at a crossroads much like yourself 3-4 years ago.

Cheers,
Mike
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: Hey Hambone..

Post by hambone » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:30 pm

Hi thanks for asking!
GC is no longer an entity, although I sure as hell am camping and enjoying the Great Woods as often as possible.
With permits and insurance, it was costing me 2K + to make a couple hundred a year. It wasn't paying the bills so I had to be realistic and just let it go. It was an eye opener - a good idea doesn't necessarily mean cabbage. I really thought it would take off.
I am not discouraged or disappointed however, just surprised. The wilderness is really what I need, a biz doesn't need to directly involve it.
My main source of income right now is Portland Volks Folks, teaching and consulting, repairs and restoration. I really like the variety but it is HARD physical work and I just don't know how I can do this another 20 years. But it is incredibly rewarding connecting with people SANS my ego and actually helping them. Today I just got done replacing a fuel pump and wiper switch on a '58 Chevy truck.
I have also been taking on odd graphic design jobs, stuff I thought was dormant. Who knew?
Am I happy? Often. Being broke all the time sucks though. Happy or not, I had to quit that fuck-box-hell-hole of $@#))%$ Pacific Power regardless of the outcome. Well this is the first time in my life where I've put the outcome to a higher power. It has been a hell of a trip...a lot of panic soothed by the cool winds of internal calm. Where does that even come from? "It's going to be OK" even though I wake up at 2 AM thinking differently.
I'll tell you though, this has all given me tremendous confidence because there really is no other option. "Fix it? Oh yeah I can fix it" even though I really don't have a clue until I'm there. At first it freaked me out, now I don't care.
Portland is getting more and more expensive and yuppie, that is burning me out more than anything. Funny one of my recent customers, a nice young lady from Colorado with a '73 Westy remarked, "Why is LIFE so MUCH work just to go camping and do what you love?"
On top of all that, and although I am doing what I think I should, I am receiving tremendous pressure at home to get a job..."WE CAN'T EVEN PAY THE BILLSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" oh crap. I just don't know if there is room in America for a non-materialist beyond abject poverty.
In the end you just have to do what doesn't kill you. Planning is cute, but it is really is out of our hands.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:54 pm

hambone wrote: In the end you just have to do what doesn't kill you.
It's killin' me, but it is too fun to give up . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

MonoCone
Getting Hooked!

Post by MonoCone » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:31 pm

Glad you have put things in the hands of a higher power. Glad you have found some inner peace.
To Really Live You Must Go Back to the Mountains.
The Mountains are Where I Am and What I Am.
69 Westfalia 1600 DP; 2002 Eurovan Camper
When you elect a clown, expect a circus.

Formerly posted as OB Bus on this forum - many years ago....

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:45 am

Hey Hammie - Thanks for sharing! Appreciate the honest feedback. Sorry the guide thing didn't work out for you.

I made a compromise with my wife; with a daughter that is only 1 year away from going away to college it really isn't feasible to just up and quit. If get let go - meaning I can collect unemployment for a while, that's fine with her. I won't bore follks with details, but am in a holding pattern - we will see how things turn out.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:54 am

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:I won't bore follks with details, but am in a holding pattern - we will see how things turn out.
:happy1:

Details, please . . . .

:happy1:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:07 pm

Probably not the story you might be expecting ... nothing no where close to Hammie's leap of faith - but since you asked...

Enjoy my current job, but KNEW I could do more. And by more, I don't necessarily mean lining my own pockets.... I can pay the bills, help my daughter with college, and save some money. Additional is kinda gravy. Don't consider myself 'rich' but my wife and I make a conscience effort to live below are means.....anyways, by more, I mean bringing in more business to provide folks opportunity to progress, to grow the business - i like building things. Whether it's bringing an old motorcycle or VW bus back to life, redoing the kitchen, or building a business.

So, for the past three months I was actively looking outside, as well as inside the business. Was making progress on interviewing outside. Had an opportunity pop within the company. Called both my director, and my VP and asked if there was any issue with me taking this job - both gave me a bright green light. Interviewed, offered the job and accepted. So I did the honorable thing and pulled my name out of the hat for the outside companies - not one to play one off the other, not the way I work. Then crickets.....was given a song and dance about things being in a state of flux, etc. etc. So decided to keep my mouth shut and see how things play out. At this point, I'm relatively confident that the promotion will come through. But if it doesn't, then will be looking at alternatives .... even have some friends that are in the process of starting a new business...risky - heck yeah- but it will be fun!

See, told you it wasn't so interesting. My hat is off to Hammie who actually pulled the rip cord - that takes guts.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:56 pm

Tigers behind on a cliff, hell ya just jump. Gettin gnawed on sux.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:45 pm

It's not like Chinese water torture ... aka being gnawed at. It's more like, are they going to do the right thing. In one more year when my daughter is done with high school, and hopefully goes off to college, I will be in a much better position to just up and quit. Heck, I've tried to get one of my people promoted into my position, and have told them on numerous occasions, that this is the right thing to do, and if you need to let me go, so be it. They think I'm crazy for offering it. But if they let me go, I would get a bit of a severance package, and could collect unemployment for a bit. If I quit, I get nothing. At this particular point it would put my family in undue stress. In one more year, not as much. I can wait a year if need be.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod