Are we wired for goodness?

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

JLT
Old School!

Re: Are we wired for goodness?

Post by JLT » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:58 pm

hambone wrote:Does anyone here take seriously that we are the promise and we must make the promise, that all the possibility we see is within our grasp? We wanted Freedom and we damn well have freedom.
yeah man
Like: "Be the change you want to see in the world?" Yes.
Like: "The limitlessness of my future is not to be impeded by the needs or desires of other people?" No.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:55 am

JLT wrote:
hambone wrote:Does anyone here take seriously that we are the promise and we must make the promise, that all the possibility we see is within our grasp? We wanted Freedom and we damn well have freedom.
yeah man
Like: "Be the change you want to see in the world?" Yes.
Like: "The limitlessness of my future is not to be impeded by the needs or desires of other people?" No.
I discern this particular fight as a deeply personal one that must remain independent of other people. The actual effect of my actions based on the answer to the above will of course interact with the tapestry of others, but the essential question is totally within. It is at the mote of freedom, the quark of my soul. . .
(and it is 8:54AM at Starbucks, not late at night with pot fumes wafting about, as I attempt to write this)
Colin :geek:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

rallybug
Getting Hooked!

Post by rallybug » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:33 am

I would take it (not being an anthropologist) that Home Sapiens is a social animal in the main (there are obviously exceptions to the rule), and as such, 'goodness' is part of that social contract. We may be 'wired' that way, but that doesn't necessarily mean that each individual's wiring is correct or complete - a bad 'ground' in the wiring can happen anywhere :dontknow:
Harvee the Wonder Bus - a 1979 CA-spec 7-seater bus