The Ron Paul Thread

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:47 am

Quadratrückseite wrote: I agree, his sex life shouldn't be a matter of public record. But the man was using taxpayer's resources, the Arkansas State Troopers, as go betweens between prospective women he wanted to sleep with. Little bit of an abuse of power, don't you think? Should we all have just given him a big ol' Dr. Phil hug and tell him, "It's ok, you just need some counseling."

My whole point in bringing up Hillary and Bill, and to try to steer this back to Ron Paul, is I think we can do better. I'd like to see a real change for once.
And my point is:

We have to do better in our judgments of people. We. The People. Have to show a more discriminating eye towards what matters. Those fucking hypocrites who dragged the Clinton Presidency down were judging with the very most asinine petty small minded shrill hysterical moralizing twiddlefucking idiocy the world has seen. And the world did see. If you open your perspective up, and read the international accounts of our domestic "conversation" during the Clinton years, people were dumbfounded by the juvenile antics of the vituperous assholes like Kenneth Starr and the vicious calculating attacks of Rove and Co.

You are not going to get real change if you salivate like a bored National Enquirer reader over the tawdry gossip that passes as "political conversation". If Clinton had such remarkable poll numbers through and to the end of his presidency, doesn't that tell you that perhaps the real American voters actually had more perspective than the clowns who finally got into power and fucked things up to a degree that we may not recover from? Taxpayers resources? How the hell can you use that same argument as the Clinton haters when we are now 600 billion in the hole for a war that is killing our kids too? If you can't get out of the shoebox and LOOK at what is REALLY happening, we are doomed. Taxpayer resources, shit, our taxpayer resources are financing the biggest money grab RIGHT NOW since the Gilded Age of the 20's, yeah there's some change, we are right back in the robber baron era, robbing the future of our children while giving tax cuts to the rich. It is more obscene than any private blowjob in the White House. We the people have to demand that the national dialogue start becoming more issue-oriented and adult. Your children and mine are in such hock right now, the Iraq War has been financed by borrowing! HELLO! and there was GWB "the war may cost 50 billion and be financed by Iraq's own oil" he fired the truth teller, we are looking at a TRILLION DOLLARS against our future, and you are pissed at taxpayer resources (it was wrong I agree, but perspective boy) used by a guy who tried, yes he did, tried to get a Social Security rainy day fund set aside with our surplus, ah yes the good old days. . . .
Colin
(for the record, there is a profound disappointment I feel towards Clinton blowing his opportunity to do great works and have a real legacy and I have called/emailed Hillary's senate office (she is my senator) many times to bitch about her imperial tendencies)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:34 am

"the war may cost 50 billion and be financed by Iraq's own oil"
The oil will pay for it, just not as it happens, Do not ever believe that we will leave Iraq, we went there to get the worlds #2 oil reserve and we will not give it up....
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Quadratrückseite
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan

Post by Quadratrückseite » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:29 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Quadratrückseite wrote: I agree, his sex life shouldn't be a matter of public record. But the man was using taxpayer's resources, the Arkansas State Troopers, as go betweens between prospective women he wanted to sleep with. Little bit of an abuse of power, don't you think? Should we all have just given him a big ol' Dr. Phil hug and tell him, "It's ok, you just need some counseling."

My whole point in bringing up Hillary and Bill, and to try to steer this back to Ron Paul, is I think we can do better. I'd like to see a real change for once.
And my point is:

We have to do better in our judgments of people. We. The People. Have to show a more discriminating eye towards what matters. Those fucking hypocrites who dragged the Clinton Presidency down were judging with the very most asinine petty small minded shrill hysterical moralizing twiddlefucking idiocy the world has seen. And the world did see. If you open your perspective up, and read the international accounts of our domestic "conversation" during the Clinton years, people were dumbfounded by the juvenile antics of the vituperous assholes like Kenneth Starr and the vicious calculating attacks of Rove and Co.

You are not going to get real change if you salivate like a bored National Enquirer reader over the tawdry gossip that passes as "political conversation". If Clinton had such remarkable poll numbers through and to the end of his presidency, doesn't that tell you that perhaps the real American voters actually had more perspective than the clowns who finally got into power and fucked things up to a degree that we may not recover from? Taxpayers resources? How the hell can you use that same argument as the Clinton haters when we are now 600 billion in the hole for a war that is killing our kids too? If you can't get out of the shoebox and LOOK at what is REALLY happening, we are doomed. Taxpayer resources, shit, our taxpayer resources are financing the biggest money grab RIGHT NOW since the Gilded Age of the 20's, yeah there's some change, we are right back in the robber baron era, robbing the future of our children while giving tax cuts to the rich. It is more obscene than any private blowjob in the White House. We the people have to demand that the national dialogue start becoming more issue-oriented and adult. Your children and mine are in such hock right now, the Iraq War has been financed by borrowing! HELLO! and there was GWB "the war may cost 50 billion and be financed by Iraq's own oil" he fired the truth teller, we are looking at a TRILLION DOLLARS against our future, and you are pissed at taxpayer resources (it was wrong I agree, but perspective boy) used by a guy who tried, yes he did, tried to get a Social Security rainy day fund set aside with our surplus, ah yes the good old days. . . .
Colin
(for the record, there is a profound disappointment I feel towards Clinton blowing his opportunity to do great works and have a real legacy and I have called/emailed Hillary's senate office (she is my senator) many times to bitch about her imperial tendencies)
Colin, I think you are reading in a little bit about what I am saying...we pretty much are on the same side here! Just because I am criticizing some of Clinton's antics, you seem to be assuming I'm a GW supporter. Or maybe I misread you. I'm just trying to be critical of both sides. I am critical of the last administration for, in my estimation, a lack of ethics. And I'm not talking about a Religious Right fanaticism here - I'm talking about basic, human decency. Kind of what I was alluding to with my comment about my daughter. This country has lost some key human morals. Family means nothing anymore. Divorce is rampant. Like it or not, right or wrong, everyone (in public office) is under a microscope. Private lives are public knowledge, and we have a greedy sensationalist media feeding on every slip up. And honestly, being in the positions that they are, they should be held to a higher standard, because they should be role models for our citizens - something to aspire to. Accountability is also gone. In the past, if someone fucked up, people had the intestinal fortitude to stand up and admit you had done wrong, and pay the price for the crime you had committed (if there was a crime). Now, it's lies, doublespeak, pass the buck, deny, blame someone else, blame society for making you the way you are. Do our young people need to see that as an example of the right way to do things? You can teach them right from wrong all you want, but when you see the President lying to his country, it tends to erode everything you have tried to teach them - and makes it ok. That goes for Clinton as well as Bush.

On the other hand, the previous administration is to be commended on getting rid of our national deficit, and a strong economy.
With regards to this administration, I agree with everything you are saying. :)
But don't think that the Democrats are looking out for the little guy, either.
They are as heavily involved with Big Business and the lobbyists as the Republicans. We're all on the same side here I think.

I was thinking about it on my way home yesterday. What do I stand for, or care about, for my next President?
Here they are:
I am concerned about our porous southern border.
I am concerned about our country's weakening dollar and loss of jobs overseas.
I am concerned about the possibility of Social Security being wiped out.
I am concerned about my country trying to stick its nose into other countries business, unless it directly involves a real threat or an attack on our soil. Real threat is vague, so I prefer diplomatic solutions. An actual attack on our country would need to be dealt with the military.
I believe I am fully capable of managing my own healthcare and retirement, and have no desire to fund anyone else's, unless they are physically unable to work.
I am against welfare for people who are physically able to work, but do not because they have learned this behavior through generations of getting handouts. In the same vein, I am for a higher working wage so that all people can afford things such as healthcare on their own.
I strongly believe in capitalism, but the gap between CEOs and the workers, especially with regards to taxes and salary, needs to be addressed NOW.
Warren Buffet gets it. Here's a great interview with him and Tom Brokaw, if you haven't heard about it.
Tom: Mr. Buffett, everyone's obviously concerned about what's going to happen to the American stock market and to the economy for that reason. Is there reason to be concerned about the fundamentals of the American economy?

Warren: Not over the long term. I mean, in the last century-- American standard of living in real terms improved seven for one. We've-- we've got a system that works well. But we will have recessions from time to time. There-- we had 'em in that century. We had the Great Depression in that century.

But still at the end of the century, seven for one is not bad. And-- we could be-- we could be heading into a recession now. I don't know. But certainly there are some signs of that. And-- and there are certain fundamentals that are out of whack for-- temporarily. But they will get solved over time.

Tom: Is the housing crisis as serious as a lot of people think it is?

Warren: I think it probably is. There-- there are a lot of people that-- have mortgage payments that they simply aren't going to meet. Housing price appreciation which was built on everybody's model a few years ago is not going to occur for a few years. In fact, it could well be depreciation. And that changes the game a lot. It'll get solved eventually. We've got a growing population, which helps us if we get out of whack in terms of the-- the houses available. Population solves that. But it doesn't solve it next month, or even next year.

Tom: Well, you've got some businesses that are attached to housing. Furniture, for example.

Warren: Right.

Tom: When something goes wrong in housing, it really does drop down through the economy. Appliances, furniture--

Warren: You bet. (LAUGHTER) We-- we have-- we have furniture stores in a number of cities, and what you see is in a Las Vegas, where-- where the foreclosure rate is very high, sales are way off there. On the other hand, in Omaha, in Kansas City, they're up.

Tom: Are you surprised there's not more talk in this presidential campaign about economic fairness and economic justice?

Warren: Yeah. I-- I-- I am surprised-- it may be that everybody wants to be cautious-- while they're looking to get nominated, but-- but the degree to which the-- economic-- well, the taxation system has tilted toward the rich and away from the middle class in the last ten years is-- is dramatic, and I don't think it's appreciated. And I think it should be addressed.

Tom: You've gone very public with this.

Tom: You've talked about in your office, for example, you pay a much lower tax rate with all of your wealth than, say, a receptionist does.

Warren: That's exactly right, Tom. And I-- I think the only way to do it is with specifics, and-- and - and in our office, 15 people cooperated in a survey out of 18. I didn't make anybody do it. And my total taxes paid-- payroll taxes plus income tax-- and the payroll tax is an income tax. It's based on income.

Tom: Yeah.

Warren: Mine came to-- 17.7 percent. That-- that was the-- that was line 61 I think-- or, no, line 43-- is the percent of taxable income, plus payroll taxes, 17.7 percent. The average for the office was 32.9 percent. There wasn't anybody in the office from the receptionist on that paid as low a tax rate. And I have no tax planning. I don't have an-- I don't have a-- an accountant. I don't have tax shelters. I just follow what the U.S. Congress tells me to do.

Tom: Why do you think that there's not more outrage about that?

Warren: I-- I don't think people understand it. For one thing, you'll see a lot of surveys that say the rich, the top one percent pay this much of the income tax. Now I think what people don't realize is that almost one third of the entire budget comes from payroll taxes. And payroll taxes on income, just like income taxes are taxes on income.

And the payroll tax is over $800 billion out of two and a trillion, or something like that. And people don't understand-- they-- they-- that the rich pay practically no payroll tax. I mean, I paid payroll tax last year on $90 odd thousand, whatever the number is. I paid income tax on $66 million. But my double income tax, one of 'em quits at $90,000. And the remaining $66 million does not get taxed with payroll tax. So, the person who makes $60,000 in our office gets ta-- taxed in full on the payroll tax, and taxed in full on the income tax. And-- and all the statistics you read, particularly the one don't like taxes, well now, they totally ignore the payroll tax. And it's huge now.

Tom: Of all the tax lines that you've seen proposed over the years, a flat tax, a consumption tax, a more progressive income tax, which is the one that appeals to you the most?

Warren: Well, in theory a progressive consumption tax makes the most sense. I mean, if you tax the people who use the resources of society rather than ones who-- who-- who provide the resources of society, that makes more sense. And a consumption tax can be very progressive.

You can have just an unlimited IRA. As long as you invest money, and don't actually spend it for yourself, or your kids don't spend it, or whatever-- you don't get taxed. As soon as you start making withdrawals from society's bank, start using the resources, the-- the sweat of other people to-- benefit yourself, you would pay on that. That-- that's the one that makes the most sense. I don't-- it isn't gonna happen-- in all likelihood.

Certainly the worst taxes-- is something like a sales tax. I would say that we've got a pretty bad system, when we tax the person who-- who cleans out my office, the receptionist. They are paying 15-- payroll taxes, over 15 percent now, just for openers.

Most of my income is taxed at 15 percent, and-- and doesn't pay a payroll. Mainly it’s dividends and capital gains. And if you look at the For-- Forbes 400, a bunch of my fellow rich guys-- they will-- their tax rate overall to the federal government will be less than that of their receptionist. And I challenge anybody. If they want to make me a bet on that, and I've urged Congress, both the Senate and the House, to get the figures anonymously from the IRS. Just look at that Forbes 400. Takes a billion three to get on the Forbes 400 this year. And the aggregate wealth is just staggering. And those people are paying less percentage of their total income to the federal government than their receptionists are.

Tom: Will you put some money on the table on this one?

Warren: What--

Tom: You said-- you said you'd pay a million dollars to somebody.

Warren: I'll-- I'll bet-- I'll bet a million dollars against any member of the Forbes 400 who challenges-- me that the average for the Forbes 400 will be less than the average of their receptionists. So, I'm-- I'm-- I'm-- I'll give 'em an 800 number. They can call me. And the million will go to whichever charity the winner-- designates.
Tom: How much are you hearing from your fellow rich fellows, as you describe them?

Warren: I don't hear anything. They're happy. They are not paying the tax rate their receptionists are.

Tom: Why do you think that is? I mean, Congress took a look at this this year with the hedge fund operators.

Tom: Who are getting taxed at about 15 percent.

Warren: And they-- and they're screaming about that. And they-- and-- and it-- and they're often deferring taxes by-- by using-- foreign tax statements. And what happens--

Tom: But why-- why won't Congress step up on this in your opinion?

Warren: Well, I-- I-- I don't know the answer to that. I do know that the hedge fund operators made a record amount lobbying-- in recent months, so they give money to the political campaign and-- and who represents the cleaning lady?

Tom: The hedge fund operators and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and others have said, "It's going too far." In fact, the hedge fund operators have created enormous wealth for the little guy as well, pension funds and other people who participate in those private equity partnerships. And so in the end it really does spread the wealth in a way.

Warren: Well, they say they work hard and that in the process of working hard they make other people money. And-- and that's true of you. That's true of a whole bunch people in the world. But that doesn't entitle them to a preferential tax rate. And the-- and the truth is that their occupation is going to work everyday. Working on the companies they buy, or working on trying to find what securities are cheap.

And when they get-- the day is done, they are taxed at a lower rate on-- on so-called carried interest and that sort of thing, they are taxed at a lower rate than the beginning rate for their cleaning lady and the payroll tax, forgetting about our income tax.

And the truth is that-- that-- that group, and really all the rich in one way or another-- have lobbyists, you know, coming out of their ears. And are down there-- whenever-- whenever something threatens their favored status, they are in Washington, you know-- en mass. And who is there representing the person that pays the payroll tax? I don't know of any group that is going around saying the-- that is saying, "It's too tough for these people who-- barely eke out a living to be paying 15 percent on payroll taxes."

Tom: Well, the Senator just across the state line here, Charles Grassley, of Iowa has spoken out about this.

Warren: I'm for him. He's a terrific guy. I mean, he-- he really wants to do something about it. But he's a very lonely man.

Tom: On the Democratic side where you would think this would be a hot issue, there hasn't been a lot of people-- there haven't been a lot of people …

Warren: No. They-- they talk about it some. But they-- they feel the pressure of money and politics, and-- and you know how-- how the number of-- of-- of lobbyists has mushroomed. And a number of the hedge-- or the private equity people were down there personally lobbying going from one Senator to another. And-- and these people make campaign contributions. They hire lobbyists. And I just don't know who's lobbying on behalf of-- of the person-- the people in my office.

Tom: Grover Norquist, who is-- the anti-tax guy, mostly on the Republican side. Why isn't there a Grover Norquist representing the receptionist and the cleaning lady?

Warren: Well-- maybe I'm trying to be that, but maybe I'm-- ineffective. And-- and it-- it's-- you know, people-- it's that old story, you know, don't-- don't tax you. Tax-- don't tax me. Tax the fellow behind the tree. Everybody hates taxes, and-- yeah. But if we're gonna raise two and a half trillion, we've gotta get it from somebody. And-- and it's-- it's very nice to say that, you know, that "I'm too heavily taxed and they should get it from somebody else." But they get-- they get almost a third of that money from the payroll tax now. And nobody ever talks about it.

We really need a change!!!!
"The bus is the real talisman. It's the thing that runs through all of this history. It's not a thing anybody owns or controls. No matter how peeved you get with people, the bus always makes your heart jump. Everybody was attached to it."
- Ken Kesey

Steve
1978 Country Homes Camper conversion - "Gus"

http://gusthevwbus.com
http://freshandmodern.com/blog

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:09 pm

RSorak 71Westy wrote: The oil will pay for it
No it won't. The government is paying for it from our taxes and by taking on more debt. We will also pay for that gas and oil from Iraq. What we are paying for is securing those reservoirs and installing a government that will guarantee to sell us that oil. Now that Saudi Arabia has asked us to leave and proven to be possibly uncooperative, we need to assure our supply of one of the major oil supplies.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:48 pm

Quadratrückseite wrote: Colin, we pretty much are on the same side here!
I think you might be right. That does not save you from fiery exchanges :cherry:

Quadratrückseite wrote: This country has lost some key human morals.
Family means nothing anymore. Divorce is rampant.
Accountability is also gone.
Now, it's lies, doublespeak, pass the buck, deny, blame someone else, blame society for making you the way you are.
Nothing new under the sun. Remember that we and our parents and their parents had to endure things that only recently have become incorrect or immoral. So while our public discourse looked more civil, people still got to go home and smack their spouse (who just put on more make-up and sunglasses) sexually and physically abuse their kids (who kept the secrets reliably) and harrangue the "n*gg*rs"and "wops" and "kikes" and "chinks" and "pollacks" and all the other fully public displays of hatred and intolerance that I have no nostalgic fondness for.
Quadratrückseite wrote: Do our young people need to see that as an example of the right way to do things? You can teach them right from wrong all you want, but when you see the President lying to his country, it tends to erode everything you have tried to teach them - and makes it ok. That goes for Clinton as well as Bush.
I'll happily use (and have) Clinton as an admirable example to kids of a smart committed leader with truly remarkable intelligence and a huge heart (there are REASONS he is loved in the black community) his daughter loves him and he IS ONE OF US who made good and got tangled up in the trappings of power and personal addictions in stupid juvenile ways. He was principled in his refusal to commit violence in Vietnam, and said so, unlike Cheney "I had other priorities" or little Bushie Silver Spoony Deferment who roared like a lion under the Mission Accomplished banner in his new phony role as Mr. Macho Military, bullshit! He is a silver spoon soft Yale boy of privilege. I can't stand fucking hypocrites who don't give a damn about killing people, Governor Death Of Texas fits that bill, an example I would never put in front of my kids, EVER. The problem with Clinton is stupid people can't see smart people for who they are. Whole damn '96 State of the Union was extemporaneous when the teleprompter failed, he pulled it off because HE LOVED HIS JOB.

Quadratrückseite wrote: I believe I am fully capable of managing my own healthcare and retirement, and have no desire to fund anyone else's,
Wait until you get your ass in a sling with a medical emergency that "isn't covered, we're sorry" or "you reached your policy limit" then you kiss your retirement and healthcare goodbye. Read up. It is immoral.
Quadratrückseite wrote: Warren: they-- they feel the pressure of money and politics, and-- and you know how-- how the number of-- of-- of lobbyists has mushroomed.

We really need a change!!!!
We do. And I am all fired up to raise some hell if the stale old retread arguments come out just like they always do. "Tax and Spend Democrats" that one boils my blood instantly. It is pure smokescreen. I have no patience for that.

We do need campaign finance reform as step one.
Colin

(kudos for keeping dialogue civil and ongoing in the face of such provocation)

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:53 pm

Quadratrückseite wrote: I was thinking about it on my way home yesterday. What do I stand for, or care about, for my next President?
Here they are:
Why aren't you concerned that this country spends more money on "defense" than the entire rest of the world put together! Think how much healthcare or cash in your pocket you'd have, if we didn't spend close to 500 billion a year on missiles and jet fighters.

They have us all worrying about paying our deadbeat neighbors workers comp, got us all fighting over pecks of corn, meanwhile the military contractors are reaching into all of our pockets and having a field day. I'm concerned about that.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:58 pm

True. I'm a pacifist anyway. No reason for blowin each other ta smithereens, life's too short as it is as we wallow in our individual piles of shit and beauty.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Quadratrückseite
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan

Post by Quadratrückseite » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:38 am

chitwnvw wrote:
Quadratrückseite wrote: I was thinking about it on my way home yesterday. What do I stand for, or care about, for my next President?
Here they are:
Why aren't you concerned that this country spends more money on "defense" than the entire rest of the world put together! Think how much healthcare or cash in your pocket you'd have, if we didn't spend close to 500 billion a year on missiles and jet fighters.

They have us all worrying about paying our deadbeat neighbors workers comp, got us all fighting over pecks of corn, meanwhile the military contractors are reaching into all of our pockets and having a field day. I'm concerned about that.
chitwnvw, I am very concerned about that as well. I realized after I typed out my list that I had left out a lot of things I was concerned about! My original intention was to type out a comprehensive list, then I got sidetracked when I found the Warren Buffet piece.
I think that part is a piece of one of the most troubling things about our political system - lobbyists and special interest groups. I lump military contracts into this group, as it is essentially the same concept - big business influencing the way our nation and its policies are run.

Colin, I agree - campaign finance reform is definitely needed. On the healthcare issue, I think there needs to be a reform in the system we have. I don't think throwing government into the mix is going to streamline the system and provide better universal care at an affordable cost. I do think that we need something in order to help those who can't afford to buy their own insurance, if on a lower wage. But make them help pay for it too - even if it's taking a couple of pennies out of each check. When someone feels that they are actually contributing, I think it gives a person a feeling of self worth, and can free us from this "the government owes me this - it's my right" kind of mentality...while they go out and spend what money they have on the newest electronics/shoes/clothes/new car/consumer crap. Same goes for welfare. If they can physically work, and the government is giving them money, make them earn it. That's what they did during the Great Depression. There are so many types of jobs they could be doing to help improve our communities - clean up trash, plant trees, paint over graffiti, fix our nation's crumbling infrastructure, etc. People need to get off of this something for nothing mentality. And our government has allowed this to happen for years and years, bringing about generations of welfare families. I don't believe the bullshit excuse about being a product of your environment. If you want something badly enough, you can achieve it. Bill Clinton is an excellent example of someone who did this - and that is what I like about him.
Wait until you get your ass in a sling with a medical emergency that "isn't covered, we're sorry" or "you reached your policy limit" then you kiss your retirement and healthcare goodbye. Read up. It is immoral.
Agreed to a point. That's why I take out the top health insurance plan offered by my company. It costs me more, but the piece of mind is worth it. I also pay extra for short and long term disability, as I am the sole breadwinner in the family. We chose to have my wife stay home, even though money is tight, because we would rather have her raise our daughter in her most formative years. It meant (gasp!) buying a small house that we could actually afford, and keeping old cars as transportation. :) (please don't tell the American consumer marketing machine! Contrary to what they will have you believe, a family can live in a 1298 sq. ft. house quite comfortably, and have your newest car be seven years old... :joker: )
I'll happily use (and have) Clinton as an admirable example to kids of a smart committed leader with truly remarkable intelligence and a huge heart (there are REASONS he is loved in the black community) his daughter loves him and he IS ONE OF US who made good and got tangled up in the trappings of power and personal addictions in stupid juvenile ways.
That is an excellent synopsis!
And I am all fired up to raise some hell if the stale old retread arguments come out just like they always do. "Tax and Spend Democrats" that one boils my blood instantly. It is pure smokescreen. I have no patience for that.
You know it's coming! That is why I am so sick of this process, and am looking for a change this time. I think everyone is - we just need to all vote that way.

No reason for blowin each other ta smithereens, life's too short as it is as we wallow in our individual piles of shit and beauty.
hambone - that's awesome!
"The bus is the real talisman. It's the thing that runs through all of this history. It's not a thing anybody owns or controls. No matter how peeved you get with people, the bus always makes your heart jump. Everybody was attached to it."
- Ken Kesey

Steve

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:11 am

Quadratrückseite wrote:
People need to get off of this something for nothing mentality.
Another smoke screen. Reagan used it to great effect when he spoke of "Welfare Queens".
Turns out the average time spent on welfare was 27 months, and the average recipient was a 20-something year-old white working mother who lost a job. This is what welfare is for. The stories about how people become dependent on welfare for generations are primarily scare tactics. Yet it was Clinton's administration that helped focus on workfare and THAT got people mainstreamed economically again.

The demographics of the past seven years have shown a precipitous slide backwards in all of our community safety net programs. Yet the very top has seen their income skyrocket 100% +. There is no excuse for such immoral greed. Halliburton et.al. and corporate giveaways (that were supposed to build jobs for those at the bottom) have cost more than welfare ever ever could. And Congress is poised/has passed legislation to STILL PREVENT royalties from being charged to the mining interests that mine on public lands. These payments could finance social programs that must be in place if we want an educated healthy next generation.

My bottom line perspective is that there are some incredibly mean-spirited tight asses up there at the top making obscene amounts of money and they could give a rat's ass about the social fabric that makes this Nation. While there are deadbeats gaming the system down at the bottom (and there are), it is a measure of character to go after them BEFORE making the offshore account tax evading stinky rich pony up and express their appreciation for the great gifts bestowed upon them, they are NOT working harder than the rest of us.
Colin

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:58 am

chitwnvw wrote:
Here they are:
I get your point but when you divide the defense budget up very little goes to procurement ie missiles and jets. Some of it goes to military housing, that bridge you drive on that was built by the ACOE or the hydro power that you enjoy from that damn built by ACOE. Er perhaps providing health care for our soldiers and their families.

The disretionary spending should not scare as much as the mandatory portion of the federal budget, ie social security, medicare etc. The mandatory spending accounts for over half of the federal budget. While I agree it would be great not to need missiles and jets we still have many people in this country who abuse the system and who knows, that dollar that they stole from the feds could have gone to fund something more useful. It's all about personal responsibilities.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:37 am

Amskeptic wrote:These payments could finance social programs that must be in place if we want an educated healthy next generation.
The rich who are raping our economy and picking all of our pockets, do not want social programs. We expect to see results from social programs, be it welfare, healthcare, whatever. They'd rather spend it on bombs and planes, where the general populace has no expectations of return. This is the way their rhetoric is skewed. They play on middle America's fear that while they are working hard and paying for everything that there is an endless supply of deadbeats trying to take advantage of all of these social programs.

Meanwhile we are pouring more money into "defense" than the entire rest of the world put together. And what does a 500 Billion dollar defense budget give me that a 100 Billion dollar defense wouldn't? Nothing but an empty wallet.

Quadratrückseite
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan

Post by Quadratrückseite » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:45 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Quadratrückseite wrote:
People need to get off of this something for nothing mentality.
Another smoke screen. Reagan used it to great effect when he spoke of "Welfare Queens".
Turns out the average time spent on welfare was 27 months, and the average recipient was a 20-something year-old white working mother who lost a job. This is what welfare is for. The stories about how people become dependent on welfare for generations are primarily scare tactics. Yet it was Clinton's administration that helped focus on workfare and THAT got people mainstreamed economically again.
This one I'll have to disagree with. Couple of examples:
My wife has an aunt who is the poster child for this. In the eight years I've known her, she's never had a job. Doesn't really look for one - gets welfare. Has three nearly grown kids (oldest is 29, youngest is 17) who don't have a job, and are in and out of prison. Smokes a ton of cigarettes, buys junk food, pop, etc. Mooches money off of her 85 year old mother. Constantly is facing one sort of legal issue after another (evicted from house for not cleaning up junk from front yard, one kid goes to jail for battery against his brother with a baseball bat after arguing about the TV, trespassing on private property looking for scrap metal to sell, drugs, theft, etc.). Now, I feel somewhat bad for these kids, because they have tried to find jobs (rarely), but no one will hire them because they've been in prison. They try a couple of places and give up. It's a bad situation all around. But, the mom doesn't try to look for work. So, the example she has set for the kids is you don't need to work, grandma or the gov't will gve you money when you need it.

I used to work as a checker and bagger in a grocery store. We were a "full service" store, so we would help load the groceries in the customer's car. I would see people come through and pay with food stamps or WIC. Then I would help load the groceries into their cars. Almost always it was a very nice, new or nearly new car.
The demographics of the past seven years have shown a precipitous slide backwards in all of our community safety net programs. Yet the very top has seen their income skyrocket 100% +. There is no excuse for such immoral greed. Halliburton et.al. and corporate giveaways (that were supposed to build jobs for those at the bottom) have cost more than welfare ever ever could. And Congress is poised/has passed legislation to STILL PREVENT royalties from being charged to the mining interests that mine on public lands. These payments could finance social programs that must be in place if we want an educated healthy next generation.

My bottom line perspective is that there are some incredibly mean-spirited tight asses up there at the top making obscene amounts of money and they could give a rat's ass about the social fabric that makes this Nation. While there are deadbeats gaming the system down at the bottom (and there are), it is a measure of character to go after them BEFORE making the offshore account tax evading stinky rich pony up and express their appreciation for the great gifts bestowed upon them, they are NOT working harder than the rest of us.
Colin
=D>
- Ken Kesey

Steve

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:48 pm

spiffy wrote: I get your point but when you divide the defense budget up...
blah de blah blah...

from the Washington Post

The fiscal 2006 defense budget of $419.3 billion represents a 4.8 percent increase over fiscal 2005 in real terms, but is about $3 billion less than projected for fiscal 2006 in last year's plan.

This budget does not include an expected administration request for $80 billion in supplemental appropriations, including $75 billion for the Defense Department to cover the cost of military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan in the current fiscal year.

Highlights of the spending include $108.94 billion for military personnel, including funding for a 3.1 percent pay raise and additional recruiting and retention bonuses for troops. That funding would include $4.1 billion for Special Operations forces -- boosting their numbers by 1,400 and increasing spending for language training -- underscoring the request's assessment that the forces have "contributed significantly" to the war on terror. The budget also allocates $416 million to start the repatriation of 70,000 military personnel from overseas bases.

In terms of weapons systems, procurement funding declined about 2 percent to $78 billion. Funding was stepped up for some systems considered important to the military's goal of modernizing: The Army's Future Combat System receives $3.4 billion, an increase of $200 million; and the Navy's Littoral Combat Ship gained an increase of $156 million to $613 million.
From Wikipedia:
Budget (US Military) for 2007

The federally budgeted (see below) military expenditure of the United States Department of Defense for fiscal year 2007[3] is:
Total Funding $39.3 Billion +6.9%
Operations and maintenance $52.2 Bil. +6.6%
Military Personnel $110.8 Bil. +3.7%
Procurement $84.2 Bil. +10.5%
Research, Development, Testing & Evaluation $73.2 Bil. +3.1%
Military Construction $12.6 Bil. +57.5%
Family Housing $4.1 Bil. +2.5%
Working Capital Funds $2.4 Bil. +9.1%
Then there's the 60-70 Billion that's not accounted for because it's top secret....

We still spend WAY more than anyone else, however you want to break it down and/or justify it.

Our (US) budget from 2004:

Department of Agriculture - $74 billion
Department of Commerce - $5.4 billion
Department of Defense - $400 billion
Department of Education - $53.1 billion
Department of Energy - $23.4 billion
EPA - $7.6 billion
FCC - $281 million
Department of Homeland Security - $36.2 billion
Department of Transportation - $54.3 billion

Hmmm.

Spiff, if you're the reading sort check out Chalmer Johnson’s trilogy about the empirilization of United States. He documents everything, most of it from our own government’s documents. He covers all the bases we have around the world, including the country clubs we build so that our guys can unwind...He then sets this military trend against past nations, i.e. Rome, Britain, whatever and shows the course we are on.

A Good Read

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:08 pm

Nah, I used to work as a Budget Analyst for the Army and now as a Management Analyst. Folks tend to harp on the defense budget (yeah its large but MOST of it just like any othe business goes to pay for salaries of the employees, that OMA (operations and Maintenance) appropriation is what pays my salary. The MPA (military personnel appropriation) is what pays for the salaries of those in uniform.) Anywho, back to the point, you can harp on the defense budget all you want but the mandatory spending side of the house is what the GOV HAS to pay and it is skyrocketing. Like I mentioned before, is it worse to pay for a sick soldier to get healthy or the swine down the road from me on food stamps, section 8 but lo and behold, that new Lexus sure is shiny.....that's the shit that hurts us more then anything else because we CAN'T turn the mandatory spending tap off. Discretionary goes up and down so who knows, our votes could make an impact and a few years down the line the defense budget goes down. At that point I don't think any nickers would be in a twist.

So if I read this book would it tell me anything more then what I already know about federal appropration law and US codes....um, didn't think so. Check it out, the defense budget is much smaller slice of the GDP then it was during WWII, or Vietnam for that matter. So, is the defense budget REALLY that bad or is it just the easiest target? If ya' really hate it so much, vote the turds that appropriate the funding out of office.

And your right my friend, we do spend more then anyone else. Watcha gonna do about it? :geek:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:19 pm

At least Clinton was having sex. I doubt the shrub does. Although he may fantasize about a certain Senator from Idaho.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.