We Who Do Not Learn ...

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Amskeptic, Sluggo

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Posts: 22878
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:47 am
Status: Offline

We Who Do Not Learn ...

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:09 pm

... Are Doomed To Repeat History


"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and cause me to tremble for safety of my country; corporations have been enthroned, an era of corruption in High Places will follow, and the Money Power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the People, until the wealth is aggregated in a few hands, and the Republic destroyed."

Abraham Lincoln,
letter to Col. William F. Elkins,
November 21, 1864
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 86,570 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

User avatar
Bleyseng
IAC Addict!
Posts: 2350
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:31 am
Location: Seattle again
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: We Who Do Not Learn ...

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:44 am

Yep, we are just another Banana Replublic now with a Dictator...Soon we’ll be trading our boxed canned corn for canned peas from our Food Stamp program boxes..
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

User avatar
asiab3
IAC Addict!
Posts: 1479
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:27 pm
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: We Who Do Not Learn ...

Post by asiab3 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:55 am

Bleyseng wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:44 am
Yep, we are just another Banana Replublic now with a Dictator...Soon we’ll be trading our boxed canned corn for canned peas from our Food Stamp program boxes..
Ever read the sodium content on those pre-planned and boxed meals? It only works for on-duty military because they have a relatively active lifestyle. I can't wait until some poor administration has to deal with the heart disease epidemic in twenty years.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
99k miles with me.
277k miles on Earth.

User avatar
airkooledchris
IAC Addict!
Posts: 1798
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:52 am
Location: Eureka, California
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: We Who Do Not Learn ...

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:27 pm

asiab3 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:55 am
Bleyseng wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:44 am
Yep, we are just another Banana Replublic now with a Dictator...Soon we’ll be trading our boxed canned corn for canned peas from our Food Stamp program boxes..
Ever read the sodium content on those pre-planned and boxed meals? It only works for on-duty military because they have a relatively active lifestyle. I can't wait until some poor administration has to deal with the heart disease epidemic in twenty years.

Robbie

That's why Hydrochlorothiazide is $1 from insurance companies these days. Gotta keep people alive if you want to keep collecting those $$$'s!
1979 California Transporter

User avatar
Bleyseng
IAC Addict!
Posts: 2350
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:31 am
Location: Seattle again
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: We Who Do Not Learn ...

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:48 am

A French study came out that having a diet of “processed food” increases your odds of getting cancer by 10-20%!so this “boxes of shit” idea will cost billions of dollars in Health Care down the road a few years.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

User avatar
asiab3
IAC Addict!
Posts: 1479
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:27 pm
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: We Who Do Not Learn ...

Post by asiab3 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:00 pm

Bleyseng wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:48 am
A French study came out that having a diet of “processed food” increases your odds of getting cancer by 10-20%!so this “boxes of shit” idea will cost billions of dollars in Health Care down the road a few years.
asiab3 wrote: I can't wait until some poor administration has to deal with the heart disease epidemic in twenty years.
All humor aside, I qualify for SNAP assistance on paper, but I don't collect because I have a few under-the-table gigs that make life tangable. Aside from the application process being more difficult than leasing my first car, the assistance is maxed out at around $150 a month. Can you imagine what kind of shit would be dehydrated, boxed up, and pawned off? I don't eat a TON of fruits and vegetables, but I gaurantee that I would be less healthy with my nutrition coming from a bag like those rock climbers…

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
99k miles with me.
277k miles on Earth.

User avatar
hippiewannabe
Addicted!
Posts: 438
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:50 pm
Status: Offline

Re: We Who Do Not Learn ...

Post by hippiewannabe » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:18 pm

Bleyseng wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:44 am
Yep, we are just another Banana Replublic now with a Dictator...Soon we’ll be trading our boxed canned corn for canned peas from our Food Stamp program boxes..
This is what we were talking about in the "Apathy" thread. I'm sure it's just hyperbole to accentuate your displeasure, but you have to know this kind of language really closes off the possibility of any meaningful engagement.
On the other hand, if you actually believe what you wrote, you have a lot of studying to do on both history and current events. A real dictator like Stalin or Maduro or Kim doesn't tweet about his enemies, he locks them up or kills them.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The next best time is today.

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Posts: 22878
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:47 am
Status: Offline

Re: We Who Do Not Learn ...

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:01 am

hippiewannabe wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:18 pm
Bleyseng wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:44 am
Yep, we are just another Banana Replublic now with a Dictator...Soon we’ll be trading our boxed canned corn for canned peas from our Food Stamp program boxes..
This is what we were talking about in the "Apathy" thread. I'm sure it's just hyperbole to accentuate your displeasure, but you have to know this kind of language really closes off the possibility of any meaningful engagement.
On the other hand, if you actually believe what you wrote, you have a lot of studying to do on both history and current events. A real dictator like Stalin or Maduro or Kim doesn't tweet about his enemies, he locks them up or kills them.
True that, hippiewannabe.
I recall at the top of this thread a quote by Abraham Lincoln, a serious observation about human nature and how it plays out in the political process.

"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and cause me to tremble for safety of my country; corporations have been enthroned, an era of corruption in High Places will follow, and the Money Power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the People, until the wealth is aggregated in a few hands, and the Republic destroyed."

It is playing out right before our eyes, but sodium content and stuff.
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 86,570 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

User avatar
Bleyseng
IAC Addict!
Posts: 2350
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:31 am
Location: Seattle again
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: We Who Do Not Learn ...

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:13 am

I agree its happening right before our eyes Colin. Strong language? Hmm, who has painted these Florida students as " crisis actors" and slandered them plus even calling their homes with " death threats "? I have friends whose kids attend that very school, so these horrible words from the " right" and fighting words. Trump's possible cutting of the social network is driven by the Koch bros and their ideology.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

User avatar
hippiewannabe
Addicted!
Posts: 438
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:50 pm
Status: Offline

Re: We Who Do Not Learn ...

Post by hippiewannabe » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:46 am

Bleyseng wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:13 am
I agree its happening right before our eyes Colin. Strong language? Hmm, who has painted these Florida students as " crisis actors" and slandered them plus even calling their homes with " death threats "? I have friends whose kids attend that very school, so these horrible words from the " right" and fighting words. Trump's possible cutting of the social network is driven by the Koch bros and their ideology.
I don't know what is the best way to handle conspiracy theory wackos. But I'm pretty sure it's not emulating their communication style.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The next best time is today.

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Posts: 22878
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:47 am
Status: Offline

Re: We Who Do Not Learn ...

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:08 pm

hippiewannabe wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:46 am
I don't know what is the best way to handle conspiracy theory wackos. But I'm pretty sure it's not emulating their communication style.

"emulating their communication style"

Please define.
I'll wait here, well, after clear-coating my gas cap.
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 86,570 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

User avatar
hippiewannabe
Addicted!
Posts: 438
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:50 pm
Status: Offline

Re: We Who Do Not Learn ...

Post by hippiewannabe » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:16 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:08 pm
hippiewannabe wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:46 am
I don't know what is the best way to handle conspiracy theory wackos. But I'm pretty sure it's not emulating their communication style.

"emulating their communication style"

Please define.
I'll wait here, well, after clear-coating my gas cap.
Colin
I was referring to this:
Bleyseng wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:44 am
Yep, we are just another Banana Replublic now with a Dictator...Soon we’ll be trading our boxed canned corn for canned peas from our Food Stamp program boxes..
There are plenty of other examples, but that's what prompted the comment.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The next best time is today.

User avatar
tommu
Addicted!
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:37 pm
Location: Sunny Burbank
Status: Offline

Re: We Who Do Not Learn ...

Post by tommu » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:16 pm

hippiewannabe wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:16 pm
Amskeptic wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:08 pm
hippiewannabe wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:46 am
I don't know what is the best way to handle conspiracy theory wackos. But I'm pretty sure it's not emulating their communication style.

"emulating their communication style"

Please define.
I'll wait here, well, after clear-coating my gas cap.
Colin
I was referring to this:
Bleyseng wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:44 am
Yep, we are just another Banana Replublic now with a Dictator...Soon we’ll be trading our boxed canned corn for canned peas from our Food Stamp program boxes..
There are plenty of other examples, but that's what prompted the comment.
To be fair, the current President's attempt to rule by diktat and contempt for rule of law embody the very qualities of a dictator. The constitution should to it's job and rein those instincts in. We are all watching.

User avatar
hippiewannabe
Addicted!
Posts: 438
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:50 pm
Status: Offline

Re: We Who Do Not Learn ...

Post by hippiewannabe » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:30 pm

tommu wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:16 pm
hippiewannabe wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:16 pm
Amskeptic wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:08 pm
hippiewannabe wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:46 am
I don't know what is the best way to handle conspiracy theory wackos. But I'm pretty sure it's not emulating their communication style.

"emulating their communication style"

Please define.
I'll wait here, well, after clear-coating my gas cap.
Colin
I was referring to this:
Bleyseng wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:44 am
Yep, we are just another Banana Replublic now with a Dictator...Soon we’ll be trading our boxed canned corn for canned peas from our Food Stamp program boxes..
There are plenty of other examples, but that's what prompted the comment.
To be fair, the current President's attempt to rule by diktat and contempt for rule of law embody the very qualities of a dictator. The constitution should to it's job and rein those instincts in. We are all watching.
The Constitution is doing its job, and will continue to do so. Our military and government swear an oath to the Constitution, not the president. Trump is doing more reversing of Obama's unconstitutional overreach than overreaching himself.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The next best time is today.

User avatar
tommu
Addicted!
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:37 pm
Location: Sunny Burbank
Status: Offline

Re: We Who Do Not Learn ...

Post by tommu » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:15 pm

What overreach are you referring to here? Is that DACA?

Post Reply

Return to “Free Speech”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests