My thoughts exactly,,

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Amskeptic, Sluggo

Post Reply
User avatar
Spezialist
Old School!
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:35 am
Location: Patkiwoema
Status: Offline

My thoughts exactly,,

Post by Spezialist » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:55 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nikki-joh ... 37306.html
I have spent my life as a Democrat which probably isn’t that surprising considering that I am African-American. One of the things that always attracted me to the party were the ideals of equality, fighting for the little guy and our openness to differing opinions, but lately I have seen my party take a turn that makes me uncomfortable. Somewhere along the way we stopped fighting for the little guy and became the party of the smug, educated elites who look down on those with less education and deem them unable or unworthy of being able to make personal decisions for their own lives.

Over the last few years we have made incredible strides in diversity and inclusion, from the election twice of the nation’s first African-American President to the legalization of gay marriage, all things that I have loudly and happily cheered for and felt were a long time in coming. As an African-American professional from humble beginnings, I know firsthand the importance of giving everyone an equal opportunity to access the American Dream. I don’t take lightly the opportunities I have been given or the fact that many people, black and white, fought for and sometimes died for me to have these rights. I also have serious concerns about the lack of progress that I have seen for many African-Americans and I blame some of that lack of progress on ineffective liberal policies that are based upon wanting to help those in need, but in many instances end up causing more harm than good.

Although many African-Americans have made incredible strides in educational attainment we are still lagging behind in key indicators of success such as net worth, poverty rates, high incarceration rates and, as such, have some of the highest unemployment numbers. In addition we seem to be victims of a disproportionate amount violence. All of these issues are some of the most serious problems we face as a people and our culture of political correctness and liberalism has not only not solved them, but I believe has made them worse. I know many liberals who do incredible work to make the world around them better, and that’s not who I am talking about. I’m talking about the cocktail party liberals, the elites, who wear the cloak of liberalism to protect themselves from criticism and so they can keep a clear conscious.

My problem with Liberalism is that it’s more concerned with policing people’s language and thoughts without requiring them to do anything to fix the problem. White liberal college students speak of “safe spaces”, “trigger words”, “micro aggressions” and “white privilege” while not having to do anything or, more importantly, give up anything. They can’t even have a conversation with someone who sees the world differently without resorting to calling someone a racist, homophobic, misogynistic, bigot and trying to have them banned from campus, or ruin them and their reputation. They say they feel black peoples’ pain because they took a trip to Africa to help the disadvantaged, but are unwilling to go to a black neighborhood in the City in which they live. These same college students will espouse the joys of diversity, but will in the same breath assume you are only on campus because of affirmative action or that all black people grew up in poverty. My personal favorite is declaring with surprise how articulate a black classmate is despite the fact that we are attending the same institution of higher learning as they are.

The White Liberal culture encourages talking about diversity and shaming others for their alleged racism, but many times they themselves work in environments that are mostly white. When questioned they’ll defensively state that they promote strictly on merit. Black people aren’t suggesting that we want someone unqualified to get the position, but I find it telling that they assume that we are not qualified. These same Liberals are quick to be against school choice, while their kids go to private or well-regarded public schools. Leaving poor black children behind in underperforming schools and providing less opportunity to improve their lives is inconsequential to keeping true to their white liberal politics. Many people are quick to espouse the political values of liberalism without having to live with the often harsh reality of those policies.

Race, gender, religion and sexual orientation are such difficult discussions to have, and many of us don’t get it right, but my problem with some white liberals aren’t that they sometimes get it wrong, it’s their profound lack of self-awareness coupled with the smugness and self-righteousness that they use to lecture to others.

White Liberals have hijacked the conversation about diversity, political correctness and what topics we should be outraged about. When a terrorist attack occurs the media and liberals rightly remind us that it’s unfair to judge an entire religion by the actions of a small minority, but I haven’t heard similar unequivocal statements made in the media about the African-American community being unfairly judged by the negative actions of a few. The media lectures about intolerance of the Right, but is the first to show the mugshot of a young black suspect while showing the much more positive yearbook photo of a young white suspect. In fact the criminalization of African-Americans, especially men, has been turned into public policy in large part because of our negative portrayal in the media, which is predominantly filled with white liberal voices.

For so long, as a Black American, I have been told that the problem is Conservative Republicans. While I’ll admit they may have done little to try to improve African-American lives, they also don’t promise to every election season like the liberal elites. Instead we have given our loyalty and votes to Democrats, who paternalistically tell us they want to help us, but we have little to show for it since blacks started voting Democrat back in the 1960’s. I have never lived in a city as an adult that was run by Conservatives or Republicans, but I live in the biggest poor city in the country, Philadelphia. A city, for decades, run by liberal insiders.

The City of Philadelphia is going through a Renaissance thanks to the demand of young White millennials who want to live in vibrant urban areas. We have a thriving higher education community, one of the country’s best restaurant scenes and home values and rent prices are going up while 10 year property tax abatements make owning new and renovated homes in the City an attractive financial investment. We are an unapologetically liberal city and you cannot be elected in this City without black voters. But why is it that the black community is not benefiting from this same Renaissance as their white liberal counterparts?

While the children of our liberal contemporaries attend expensive private universities, how many black men are getting pulled into the prison system because of stop and frisk searches in these supposedly liberal cities? How many so called white liberals have really fought for those civil rights violations to be ended? My own city has a stop and frisk policy in place (even after promises of stopping it), but is also a sanctuary city for undocumented immigrants. It’s ironic that the liberal elites proudly proclaim the inhumanity of deportation which could break up the families of these immigrants, but they are more than happy to justify the need to send black men and women to prison for minor infractions, thus separating the families of American citizens. Where is the outrage for our families? Oh yeah, you can take the African-American vote for granted, so you don’t need to do more than pay lip service to our concerns.

White liberals posting on Facebook about #blacklivesmatter, white privilege and supremacy are not cleansed of their hypocrisy and elitism because they use the right hash tags. I would urge these same people to get off their iPhones and look around to see the issues they ignore in their own lives. If you’re one of these people, before you cry out in offense, ask yourself where you chose to live and how many of your neighbors, that you know, are people of color. Where do your kids go to school? Who are your friends and colleagues? Who do you see next to you while you’re in your meeting at work? What have you done to change those inequalities? Have you recommended a black friend for a job at your company, or told them about a house for sale in your neighborhood or recommended a talented black child go to your child’s school? Answer these questions honestly and you’ll realize that you might not be who you think you are when it comes to racial issues in this country. Are you are part of the group I’m referring to as smug white liberals and you don’t even know it?

If I were to ask what issues of the Democratic Platform from this Presidential Election would address the issues of the African-American community I’m assuming most liberals would point to criminal justice reform. However, the push for criminal justice reform is coincidentally occurring parallel to the epidemic of opioid abuse in white communities. I would argue this is what is actually driving the policy shift from incarceration to treatment, because the sweeping tragedy of drug abuse that has gripped the black community for the last 30 years, is now affecting the same liberal elites that referred to our family members as predators and criminals rather than addicts deserving of compassion.

Suggesting that blacks stop being Democrats or Liberals would be a waste of my time, but what I am suggesting is that we require white liberals to do more than pat us on the head and tell us they know better. Free programs aren’t enough, nor are they actually free for African-Americans. How many stories have we heard of African-Americans being excessively fined for minor civil infractions or misdemeanor criminal matters? Those fines are used for running a system that not only doesn’t work for our community but many times exposes us to a criminal justice system that causes us to become unemployable or financially decimates our families.

Remember Eric Garner, the man in New York that died from a chokehold for selling loose cigarettes? That enforcement order was created during Democratic Mayor and Democratic Governor’s administrations. I’m sure that they believed that the revenue generated by the cigarette tax would fund important programs for the poor, but there was a real cost to African-Americans in the community who were fined, harassed, incarcerated and, in the case of Eric Garner, died over a tax. Let’s not forget the 10 year tax abatement that brings wealthy white liberals to the City, but increases the taxes for many poor home owners of color making it prohibitively expensive to stay in neighborhoods where they may have lived for decades. We need results not more empty promises. We need to take a serious look at the policies that will truly make it possible for blacks to attain better job opportunities, stronger families, safer neighborhoods and better schools. If we continue to align ourselves with liberal elites that lecture about the evils of discrimination, but don’t want to see us as their boss (or even colleague), competing for opportunities against their children, or as their neighbors, then we need to look at what other groups can offer the African-American community in terms of opportunities or effective policies that will allow us to prosper.

If the only conversation we’re requiring them to have about us is about keeping us out of prison or getting less jail time, then we are so far behind that I am not sure that we will ever catch up. We must take control of the narratives about our issues because white liberals are talking about things that may make you feel better, but are not improving the quality of life for your family or our community. Anyone that would tell your children to do something that they wouldn’t tell their own child is not your ally. While these conversations, driven by the elites, are seemingly sympathetic, they will only keep our children at the bottom, and uncompetitive to their own children.

The truth is that Liberalism is about making elites feel better about themselves and their lives without requiring the underlying action of significantly improving the lives of African-Americans. Hillary Clinton rightly says that it’s not about what you say about problem, but you should be judged by what you are doing to solve the problem. In this election, let’s take her at her word and take a deeper look at what Liberalism is really doing for us.


I love what this woman has to say, and Ive understood more from people like her and been understood by people like her. And am proud to say it.

Ive tried in earnest to be understood here, and have tried to understand here.
But instead I'm the victim, or whatever your thought of oneness concludes colin, yes you.
I'm a member on many many forums, and the only ones that refuse to understand are VW forums, weird right? or is it deeply alt-right ?
Your misunderstanding of me, intentional or not is not an excuse to define me any longer.
When I meet a person, I try and understand them. I don't define them based On things that I don't understand and then voice it like some diagnosis.
That ultimately dehumanizes them.
Instead of worrying about the world, take care of yourself.
You probably live on stolen land, in a fake country with zero consciousness. All the while perpetually committing genocide against the native people blissfully living a consumerist culture wondering why mass shootings occur.

User avatar
Spezialist
Old School!
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:35 am
Location: Patkiwoema
Status: Offline

Re: My thoughts exactly,,

Post by Spezialist » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:57 pm

I find it terrible not a word about DAPL here.
You probably live on stolen land, in a fake country with zero consciousness. All the while perpetually committing genocide against the native people blissfully living a consumerist culture wondering why mass shootings occur.

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Posts: 22229
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:47 am
Status: Offline

Re: My thoughts exactly,,

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:30 am

Spezialist wrote:I find it terrible not a word about DAPL here.
I will respond in full to your posts as soon as I get back to Atlanta. Much to think about and address.

From what I understand of the Dakota Access Pipeline, President Obama did manage to halt its expansion?
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .110,350 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,775 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . 73,930 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,478 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 64,428 miles

User avatar
Spezialist
Old School!
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:35 am
Location: Patkiwoema
Status: Offline

Re: My thoughts exactly,,

Post by Spezialist » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:57 am

So typical in America, anything that is counter to profits or their Prophets is flatly denied or plainly ignored.
Love how the dems dropped the environment for saving the self instead. Way better? Than 1984!
You probably live on stolen land, in a fake country with zero consciousness. All the while perpetually committing genocide against the native people blissfully living a consumerist culture wondering why mass shootings occur.

TrollFromDownBelow
Old School!
Posts: 994
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:15 am
Location: Metro Detroit
Status: Offline

Re: My thoughts exactly,,

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:57 pm

All I can say is .... wow. I did not read the original post until now when it popped back up. Spezialist, I think you hit the nail on the head. Period. I don't normally read long posts like this through to the end, but I did this time. It resonated with me, because, well, because, for a lot of reasons. Kudo's to you, and when can we share a beer or a cup of coffee?
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...8 completely solid lifters.... now it's both kinda noisy and leaky, but she sure runs good!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

User avatar
JLT
Old School!
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:08 am
Location: Sacramento CA
Status: Offline

Re: My thoughts exactly,,

Post by JLT » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:52 pm

I don't think it was "political correctness" that sank the Democratic Party. It was their failure to identify and counter the strategies that the Republicans were doing to consolidate their base through voter manipulation, gerrymandering, and demonizing the progressive movement. Bernie showed them a way out, but they didn't see it. I still feel that if they put as much money into state elections as they put into the presidential race, they would have been much better off. That's really what 2018 will be all about.

I've been reading Bernie's book, and it's a persuasive argument for progressive reform. He points out that when he ran for the Senate as a socialist, he wasn't counting on the support of either of the major parties, and he showed them that he didn't need them. Instead, he built coalitions which included labor unionists, environmentalists, police and firefighter groups, addressed their needs, and made sure their voices were heard and their needs were addressed.

I can't address the situation in New York City, since I haven't been following those issues. I'm sure that in some respects, the Democrats can be almost as boneheaded and obtuse as the Republicans can, although it's usually more a case of not seeing the situation through to their logical consequences, rather than a deliberate aim to disenfranchise, intimidate, and impoverish. These things can and should be addressed by the people of New York, and if it means throwing out a bunch of Democrats, so be it. But, for God's sake, don't replace them with Republicans. Instead, look for progressives, community organizers and workers, and people trained in the art of government, and then hold them to their promises.

As for the DAPL, that fight is still being fought, although it's been buried lately in the blizzard of tweets. The Standing Rock Sioux have won a court case that puts the future of the pipeline in doubt. The media isn't doing a very good job of covering it, although I read about the decision in my local city newspaper, the Sacramento Bee, so word has been getting out in some quarters.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Posts: 22229
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:47 am
Status: Offline

Re: My thoughts exactly,,

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:34 am

JLT wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:52 pm
I don't think it was "political correctness" that sank the Democratic Party. It was their failure to identify and counter the strategies that the Republicans were doing to consolidate their base through voter manipulation, gerrymandering, and demonizing the progressive movement.

Yes. The Democrats, by virtue of their values, do not know how to fight in the gutter.
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .110,350 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,775 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . 73,930 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,478 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 64,428 miles

User avatar
Spezialist
Old School!
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:35 am
Location: Patkiwoema
Status: Offline

Re: My thoughts exactly,,

Post by Spezialist » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:34 pm

You probably live on stolen land, in a fake country with zero consciousness. All the while perpetually committing genocide against the native people blissfully living a consumerist culture wondering why mass shootings occur.

User avatar
JLT
Old School!
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:08 am
Location: Sacramento CA
Status: Offline

Re: My thoughts exactly,,

Post by JLT » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:45 pm

A good article. And the fact that we don't usually frame the argument that way is a perfect example of white privilege.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

User avatar
Spezialist
Old School!
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:35 am
Location: Patkiwoema
Status: Offline

Re: My thoughts exactly,,

Post by Spezialist » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:02 am

JLT wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:45 pm
A good article. And the fact that we don't usually frame the argument that way is a perfect example of white privilege.

I just hope some self identifying whitys don't get their pantys in a bunch because I don't see whiteness as nothing other than politics. My take on what white in america means is religion and capitalism ideology. That is the foundation of what makes white right. Sure the fascists co-opted americas genocidal penchant for killing people of color, but they didn't start it. Back when they started it it, it was just religious persecution.
and in those times (in europe) people of color were allowed to convert. Easy since capitalism was almost natural for them. Across the globe to the western hemisphere, collectivism was the natural state of affairs for most people, real hard sell, even today.
Now that its a proven fact that white skin does not equate white culture, much less blue eyes.
You probably live on stolen land, in a fake country with zero consciousness. All the while perpetually committing genocide against the native people blissfully living a consumerist culture wondering why mass shootings occur.

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Posts: 22229
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:47 am
Status: Offline

Re: My thoughts exactly,,

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:40 am

Spezialist wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:02 am

I just hope some self identifying whitys don't get their pantys in a bunch because I don't see whiteness as nothing other than politics.
Trump is doing a fine job of blowing up white identity and leaving us with shell-shocked embarrassment. Of course, the Deplorables are strutting and crowing, but they just don't yet see what's coming down on them.
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .110,350 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,775 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . 73,930 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,478 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 64,428 miles

User avatar
Bleyseng
IAC Addict!
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:31 am
Location: Seattle again
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: My thoughts exactly,,

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:31 am

I find politics these days just about "how to enrich myself" and that's either the Dems or GOP.
Now the GOP has swung to the Far Right espousing Christian Whiteness as the new/old America but it's thinly veiled KKK/Nazism. This is financed by the Koch Bros who are old timey John Bircher's and hellbent on destroying anything that n*gger President laid his hands on. OMG, "Obamacare has got to go because the ACA is waay better! "
Still in Seattle we resist this with our progressive whiteness even going as far as to punch out a nutjob standing on a street corner wearing a Nazi arm band AND throwing banana's at any Black people that walked by.
I have to address your comments about Whites pushing out Blacks out of "their" neighborhoods. At least in Seattle, these "Neighborhoods" were created by the banks redlining where people could buy a home. The Central district was the "Black Neighborhood", home of Jimi Hendrix and Quincy Jones, Asians could buy in the Beacon Hill neighborhood etc. Nowadays, these neighborhoods are changing as the aging homeowners are cashing in and moving to less expensive areas. Are they being "forced out"? Shoved out by high taxes? No, as there are policies that protect them such senior tax reductions, special low-interest loans etc. They are taking the cash to secure their future as it's a windfall for them as it's really a "supply and demand" situation.

To wrap it up, both parties suck and I hope the NFL players continue to disrespect the flag (cough cough) by kneeling and the owners don't let them play. This would send a message to everyone about how if you are of color you have no 1st Amendment Rights of Free Speech. Maybe it would go all the way to the Supreme Court too as a way to decide what Free Speech means vs Religious Freedom (White Christian Privilege)
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Spezialist
Old School!
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:35 am
Location: Patkiwoema
Status: Offline

Re: My thoughts exactly,,

Post by Spezialist » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:04 am

To be sure Colin./




Gentrification of neihborhoods is racism veiled by classism. It's still them vs everone else. The freedom to move out of your neighborhood is the freedom to evacuate your place in your community. People of power know it's the first step in destabilizing your personal life, which increases their bottom line through the trickle up paradigm.
You probably live on stolen land, in a fake country with zero consciousness. All the while perpetually committing genocide against the native people blissfully living a consumerist culture wondering why mass shootings occur.

Post Reply

Return to “Free Speech”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests